Sunday, February 25, 2007

Old People...j/k...Happy Day mom



Happy Birthday Mom! We have a quote framed in our kitchen by Abraham Lincoln that says, "All that I am or hope to be I owe to my mother." How true that statement really is. We just wanted to wish you the best birthday yet, and that we hope you have many more wonderful birthdays to come. Now on a more serious note, here are some things that make my mom unique:

-the spatula jig, when she gets a spatula in her hand she'll always end up doing a dance where she acts like she is going to hit you with it...while shifting side to side like a crab.

-the corpse, when you try to pick her up or tickle her, she stiffens her body so that you can't move her around as easy.

-the megaphone, that would be mom's mouth when she chews, spaghetti would even sound crunchy the way she eats. When she eats grape nuts you can hear her from upstairs.

-bony elbows, she uses to her advantage by any means necessary

-the crier, she has gotten out of some of the worst scenarios by crying (speeding tickets for example) and certain commercials do the trick, as well as any narrative with classical music.

-carbonated burps, need I say more?

One of my all time favorite mom memories:

My mom always leaves an open can of Diet Coke in the fridge. One day, I decided to pour tabasco sauce, mustard, ketchup, pickle juice and a few other yummy things in her can. She had just come in the door from a long day's work and I could tell that all she wanted was a big swig of her pop. I was sitting at the bar just watching and waiting innocently. Sure enough, she heads straight for the fridge...and takes one of the biggest gulps I have ever seen someone take, the gulp was so loud I could hear it as clear as day. By then my face was red and sweaty as I was trying to contain my burst of laughter a little bit longer. Then she looked at me with a look I will never forget and said in an almost eerie and calm tone, "That was NOT funny". She cruised over to the sink to get a drink of water, which of course I rigged as well (the old rubber band around the sprayer). The funniest thing about the next part was that when the water hit her shirt, she didn't jump out of the way, she just stood there as the water bounced off of her onto the floor. By then I was laughing so hard I began to choke, halfway realizing I needed to run away soon. She never did get me back even though she threatened me a few times...but then again, maybe she did and I just didn't know it. Happy Birthday Bly, you southern belle!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being such a good sport, Mom. Talk about patience, I think anyone else might have been pushed over the edge at any number of pranks we pulled and our family would be a little smaller. Love you.

Maude said...

Yeah - -very funny, Paul! Remember, I don't every get mad - - -I just get even! :)
However, I'll forgive you because I know that in your heart of hearts, you really wouldn't want a "normal" mom. It wouldn't be half as fun, now would it?! Thanks for the neat remembrances. I'd almost forgotten that nasty trick. Thanks for helping me remember every little detail - -for future reference, of course. Love you lots anyway!

Maude said...

P. S. Crab walk? I thought I was a pretty jivy dancer! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm personally amazed at Mom's ability to talk herself out of speeding tickets. I've tried to employ a couple of her techniques, but NEVER successfully. Here's my favorite.

Mom to cop: "I'm a single mom and a school teacher (it always helps to drop those two). We're from out of state visiting possible colleges for my son. I must have been in too much of a hurry and wasn't watching the speedometer."

Cop: "Well, just try to be a little more careful next time."

Happy Birthday! Love you mom!

Maude said...

Hey - -one time on one ticket - -well, one going to someone's wedding in Utah and one in Oregon. You make it sound like I'm wanted by the FBI! The Beamer just cruised better going a little faster.

Anonymous said...

Have a happy day!!
We love you and are glad you are not "normal" life would be no fun!!!

Maude said...

Seriously, thank you, Paul and all for the nice tribute. I appreciate it - -and you - -more than I can say.

Anonymous said...

I never knew that story. You were SO TERRIBLE PAUL- to your poor helpless mother/school teacher who just needed a drink of diet coke. Actually mom, you are a saint! You had to put up with my teenage years - I don't know how you did it! I read the blog to the family and they laughed - now they have ides in their head to get ME back!
Love,
Melecia

Anonymous said...

I love hearing the stories of things you guys did as kids. You guys were too funny and CRUEL!!!!
It would be fun to take a trip back in time and just be a fly on the wall to actually watch you guys in action and to get the story totally straight.

Maude said...

That's pretty much straight, Kendi! :)

Maude said...

Speaking of "dried arrangements" (see "65" - - -okay, Paul, I'm begging you to get that BAAADDD photo of me off! Thank goodness Lyssa's there to distract the eye. Thanks for the fun comments. Many fun memories. Yes.

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,