I think I have a super power. I don't know what it is yet...but every superhero has a weakness that can be seen or figured out by his enemies. Since I have the latter I figured I must have a superpower waiting to come out soon. The problem is, every time I feel sick, or tired, or something is really stressing me out, this huge vein bulges out of my forehead...and it pulsates to the beat of my heart. So if someone were torchering me Jack Bauer style, my vein would give me away for sure. The other problem is that when I sweat, I don't really sweat anywhere but my head. And for some reason all of the blood flows to my head when I get worked up or work out...so you can see the problem that lies pretty much in my head, maybe it is a gift. Maybe God has a sense of humor and he blessed me with all of these abilities with my head, then he helped me to lose my hair at a young age so everyone could see them. I guess my bum sweats too sometimes, or maybe there is a channel running from my head downwards.
I find that when I sweat, or when I am participating in some physical activity, I think more intensely than any other time. I analyze everything, sometimes I get worked up or angry, sometimes I think of something funny and giggle out loud...whatever it is, I think I would be embarrassed if someone could read my mind during those moments. Maybe that is why I have trouble expressing myself sometimes in person, but I feel I can express myself well when I write. Maybe you are getting an inside look on my thoughts, but just in slow motion because I can't type that fast. I was reading an article in the Reader's Digest at Firestone tires of all places the other day, about 100 secrects on how to know men better. That sounds a little wierd but it was either that, or watch "the View" on the tv they had there (yes, "the view" was on). There was actually some pretty good stuff, some of which I agreed with and some of which I didn't. The article talked a lot about how similar men and women are emotionally, but how differently we express our emotions. Men grow up learning to keep thier emotions inside, and that getting emotional is a sign of weakness. We have our little "place" we go that we don't want people to see where we can pour all of our emotions out, and we will only let someone know about things when WE want them to. If a man lets you in that "place" every once in a while that means he trusts you and cares a lot about you. Just don't tell anyone else about it or you are a goner. Something else I remembered was that men don't prefer to talk face to face when it comes to deeper thoughts, but more side to side. Joni and I have the best conversations when we are in the car, or not facing each other on the couch. I remember having long talks with Joel during bedtime (not the same bed), and staring up at the cieling the whole time. Then an hour later he would scare me half to death with his sleep talking, dancing, walking, hovering, etc. On a more serious note, I guess that's why prayer can be such a powerful thing. It's like therapy in a way...seems kind of one sided and selfish but it doesn't have to be.
Every man needs his little "projects", the wood shop, the car, the lawn, a blog...anything that is easy to fix and not as complicated as a woman. So there you have it ladies, we aren't so insensitive after all. We just forget to listen sometimes because of all that noise in our heads.
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
sweat and men
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Another masterpiece, Paul. From my many years of psychoanalytical training I deduct that you are a brain person. The intensity of your emotions and thoughts focus on the brain, thus, your sweat is manifest in that region of your body. Of course when you are sweating from your bottom, you are having a "bum thought." Har, har, har.
I really like Jack Bauer. He's my current hero. Since that episode where one of the guys was tortured with a power drill run into the side of his neck (and he was running around at headquarters again an hour later without even a bandaid), I now have an excuse to watch action movies around our house without comment from Susan or the kids. See.....if they can watch Jack Bauer and love the show, I can watch Dirty Harry kill all those bad guys.
I'm glad you are understanding all the guy stuff, Paul. The gals think they understand, but don't.
Dad
Great comment about the guy getting the drill run into his neck, if I didn't watch 24 I would think you are crazy. Is that true about sweat manifesting it self there? Or is that some psycho babble bs? If not it sounds pretty good.
I think it's funny that women suscribe to what's said about men on the View or written in Cosmo. Typical topics would be: "What Your Man is Really Thinking" or "What do Men Want?". All of these topics are written to women by WOMEN. If a woman wants to figure out men, ASK A MAN, not Barbara Walters or Rosie O'Donnell!
It's crazy that you wrote all this after the conversation I had with Erin last night. She went to a talk about the homeless. They were describing an internet phenomenon called "bum fighting" in which teenage boys pay homeless men to buy booze and come back later and film the man doing crazy things, getting in fights, etc. Apparantly some homeless have died as a result of this. As you know Erin is very interested in gender defferences, esp. those that are caused by the way kids are "brought" up. She was amazed that during the whole presentation the fact that these acts were only being carried out by boys was mentioned once and never discussed. I really do think that the boys in our family are much more "in touch" with out emotions and motivations than a lot of men out there but it's still hard. I've really been able to look at certain of my traits more objectively since I met Erin. I love that I can talk to her about anything. That's a luxury that alot of women's friendships have that men-men friendships don't because I believe we are uncomfortable with male closeness.
Good post Paul. By the way, my head is the outlet of heat and sweat just like yours. I remember how much I hated that at school dances.
I saw something about the kids beating up homeless guys, it was horrible. One of the guys who was responsible for making the tape and paying homeless guys to do embarrassing stuff was brought onto Dr. Phil. He shaved his head and grew a mustache like Dr. Phil, and the minute he walked on stage Dr. Phil stood up and told him to get out of his building, and he cancelled the whole show for the day. The kid left screaming obscenities at the audience and Dr. Phil, it could have been staged, but it was wierd. That's good you have Erin because you are one of the deepest guys I know. You guys seem perfect.
Wow! Great post - - and comments. I have so much respect for you guys! Glen, it's true about women writing about how to understand men. I've always thought that was strange.
I've generally been able to get along with guy friends, at any age, than with girl friends. I think they (you) DO have deep thougts and are generally more loyal, less jealous, less two-faced, and less likely to "sweat" the small stuff than most females. (I know - - -sounds like I'm bashing my own gender; not so, but I have to be honest about what I've experienced.)
I also sweat mostly from my head, so I guess it's not just a "guy" thing, Paul. I'll exercise for a long time and won't perspire at all - - -then suddenly, my face turns RED and the perspiration is drenching my head and neck. (Maybe a defective cooling system?) Steve Nash must be that way, because by halftime, he looks like he just came out of a shower.
Only MY mom could know what Steve Nash looks like during halftime...you wierdo.
But you love me, Paul - - just the way I am! Sports nut and all! I know you do! :)
I like these kinds of blogs. Good thoughts came forth. I need to explain to you Paul that I was half serious and making a joke when I talked about sweating from your brain. We learned from "rolfing technique" that stress typically focuses on a certain part of the body, like the shoulders for burden carriers, the head for heavy thinkers, etc. My comment about the sweat was a set up for a pun. Hope you got it.
I'm glad Joel is getting great benefit from Erin's wisdom and perceptions as a trained professional as well as from a kind and loving woman. For me, it is very reassuring and comforting to have a woman at my side who is nuturing and intelligent as I gain greater awareness of myself and others. I'm in whole hearted agreement with Glen's remarks. Something I've learned in more recent years is how important it is for men to bond with other men in sensitive male issue areas, and for women to bond with other women for love and support. It enriches the male/female relationship mightly. Keep those great blogs coming. Love, Dad
Interesting to watch the comments mutate on this one, Paul. I guess that's the sign of a good writer - - You got everyone thinking and relating.
Going back to Joel's comment about the "friendship" part of his closeness to Erin - -my experience has been that the very best friendships I've had as a married person are the ones when there is a great friendship among all. Jim and I especially enjoy one couple up here and one in Ashton because all 4 of us really like each other and can enjoy time together doing "couple" things or just "girl" or "guy" things. I know, Paul, that you and Joni have friends like that, and I'm sure the rest of you do as well. Those kinds of friendships are a special treat in life, don't you think?
So THIS blog is where the family is today! Your vein is fascinating Paul, and I think it will be able to get radio frequencies from other superheroes soon. I think my brothers are very in touch with their feelings and also cool, funny men. I sometimes feel like I express my emotions more like men do also - I'm not a big crier except occastionally in private. I think that's also true about having better conversations side to side. Rhett said once: "I'm a guy - I just need a pizza, a movie, and some good lovin.". I don't think guys can be boiled down to such simplicity, however! Enjoyed the blog very much Paul! My shoulders are always aching. According to dad, that means I'm carrying some burdens.....yup!
Love you manly men!
Melecia
I sweat from my head like a faucet, nowhere else much.
My face turns into a red beacon after working out (cardio). People have asked me if I'm "OK" as long as I can remember.
I don't fully understand women or men, but am glad we are each different and can bring something to the proverbial table.
Nice bloggin' Pablo.
I may be doomed, but happily so.
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工,
酒店寒假打工,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工,
酒店經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
Post a Comment