I thought this picture from the local newspaper was really funny. It made me laugh out loud when I was all alone at work, but I guess you have to understand it first. The Mavericks just suffered the most embarrassing defeat in nba playoff history, and people around here aren't too happy about it. Never has a team with a better record lost to the worst seed in the playoffs. Normally there is a fierce looking horse but someone put a pony from "my little ponies" in as the mascot and wrote about how badly the Mavs choked. I want to see the Suns do well now because I like Steve Nash a lot, and of course I actually cheer for the Jazz now that Stockton and Malone are gone, I think they should have gone with a young team like they have now a long time ago. Some of my friends would be pretty steamed if they read this, but it is what it is folks.
Harry Connick Jr. was awesome last night. I always wish I could see how performers are in different cities, like when they say "I love Dallas, you guys really get it here." I kept thinking if there were cities they hate to go to and they lie about how much they love the place to get a rise out of the crowd. The concert was all about New Orleans and music from that part of the country, it really made me want to pay a visit to New Orleans while we are so close. The whole Katrina aftermath has really hit me because most of the people I meet and that I work with were bussed straight here from New Orleans. Everyone has an amazing story. One of my good friends at work lost his brother, and didn't know if his mom was alive for months. He was stranded on a rooftop for almost 2 weeks, then dropped off at the Super dome. When the busses came, everyone just got on without knowing ahead of time where they were going. Most of the busses came to Houston and Dallas, and many traveled all the way to DC and beyond. He was dropped off at the American Airlines Center where the Mavericks play, and he had a couple of days to find a job and an apartment.
Isaac was absolutely crazy today, for the first time I had to take him to his parents for the remainder of primary. He was kicking and yelling nonsense words and jumping and spitting and hitting everyone. I took him outside 3 or 4 times and got right in his face to tell him to be quiet and sit down, and he would settle down and pout for a couple of seconds, then he just went crazy again. Everyone was looking at me like I needed to do something about it, the second I dropped him off I felt a huge weight was off my shoulders, then we had the best Sunday school class yet. We have a new kid named Ricardo in our class who was just baptized, it reminds me a lot of teaching young kids on my mission. I don't really know what to do with Isaac and I don't know how to react to autism. I have tried to hold him down, but that seems to make him worse. I was shocked last Sunday when I found out that with all the craziness, he had managed to memorize the first 2 articles of faith that we taught in class. It is a very hard disorder to understand. We have grown close to these kids and we feel like we want to hand pick thier next teachers so they will be good to them and care about them. We haven't told them we are leaving yet and we are still unsure what to say when we do leave. That seems to be a common occurrance in the church. You get used to your Bishop or teacher, or feel close to the missionary who baptized you, then you are cut off suddenly and start over somewhere else. I guess that is a good lesson in life on how to adjust and be strong on your own, and it brings you closer to your own family and to gospel truths because they are the only things that seem to be rock solid in an ever changing world. We'll post some pictures of the kids next week because we have to take pictures for the primary bulletin board.
I want to wish the best to Joni, my mom, my mother in law, my step mother, my step mother in law, my sisters, my nieces, my aunts, my grandma's and all of the women who have been such a strong and positive influence and support throughout my life. I hope you all have a wonderful mother's day! Now make me some cake...just kiddin.


11 comments:
That was pretty funny. The warriors had the mavs number, tough break for them. I'm actually pulling for Golden State now, but it's not looking so good. Remember the autistic (?) kid that Mel worked with a lot in Logan? I saw him working in the USU food court quite a bit. Every now and then he would get it in his head that he was going to be a pain in the A. He would get this mischievious smirk on his face and become completely obstinant. Tough to know what to do with that kind of thing. When are you guys moving?
The Warriors are bunch of thugs. 2 flagrant fouls, a technical and ejection in the 4th quarter after the game was lost. There was another technical on Davis that wasn't called when he blind sided Fisher with an elbow. Any respect I had for Baron Davis and Jason Richardson is out the window. I hope the Jazz put them away Tuesday.
On a lighter note, that's very cool that you got to see Harry Connick Jr. He's incredibly talented. I remember going to his concert at U of Utah and he played probably 5 different instruments.
Thanks for sharing the "Pretty Pony" mascot thing. Someone was pretty sharp. I'm excited for the Jazz; they're doing better than I ever expected, and I do hope they beat the Warriors and the Suns win. That would be a fun series to watch.
Harry Connick, Jr. sounds wonderful. We got to see him in Boise once, and he is so very talented, as a writer, singer, pianist and all around musician - -and tons of fun.
So sorry about the autistic boy. You and Joni have truly done a great service while in Dallas. I'm glad you were rewarded with the new boy. What's the scripture, "All this shall be for your experience?" I'm sure you have grown from this one. Enjoy the remaining time there and the time in College Station! You two are pretty awesome!
Joel, seriously? The warriors? Where did that come from, they may be the underdog but I agree with Glen about the thug thing. Thier guys are way too cocky, they shot 40 3 pointers last night too. Aren't you a Nash fan too? We are moving June 22nd.
I like Nash a lot. Matt Harpring is my favorite player on the Jazz, just a notch above Deron Williams. I like how hard he works, the shots he takes and how he doesn't get pushed around. There was a story on him that he learned to be physical playing highschool QB and from getting in fights with his brothers. I like players like Nash and Harpring because they let their play do the talking and they don't back down from anybody.
I like Nash. I agree that there are some thugs on the Warriors but I love the underdog always, think they are exciting to watch, and don't know if I will ever get over my aversion to the jazz (I can't even explain it, really). I think Baron Davis has been incredible.
Thanks for remembering all those women who have made more love in your life. Susan appreciated the call. She's in California this week to help her sister Nancy with Ciera's wedding.
When the Spurs played a much improved Denver Nuggets team in the playoffs, they showed a powerful come back and knocked the Nuggets out. I'm assuming that's the team that beat Dallas. The Jazz are looking great. We'll be watching them tonight.
I still think we all have not fully realized the impact Katrina had on the people in those southern states. Harry Connick, Jr. is doing a great service helping us to be more aware. It's awesome that you got to see his show.
It looks like Isaac was off his meds. We saw the difference when he was properly medicated. I suggest you see the Bishop, his grandfather, about calling your replacements NOW for two purposes: 1) To train the new teachers how to deal with those precious children; and 2) To help the transition with your leaving go more smoothly. Abrupt changes don't go well with autistic kids.
Change is tough enough anyway without it being abrupt.
We congratulate you and Joni for the wonderful service you have provided for that class! Love, Dad
Good blog Paul! Sounds like I need to start watching sports. Dad, I think it's funny how you are up on the Isaac situation. You probably could have done some therapy with him that Sunday! (JK Dad) Paul, if I lived closer to you, I would bake you a cake, and thanks for the mother's day wishes. I think people in our church are much more adaptable to change then some I've met because we are constantly getting "the rug" pulled out from under us with callings, and we have to adapt or go crazy. I witnessed some friends so nuts because the pastor of their church was leaving. I really like your personal perspective on the Katrina tragedy. I'm glad so many have found jobs. Oh yes, Jen - time to blog again honey! We miss you!
Love,
Melecia
Oops. It looks like I had the wrong team beating Dallas. How about the Jazz? Dad
This is great info to know.
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工,
酒店寒假打工,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工,
酒店經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
Post a Comment