Friday, July 6, 2007

Great News!

I feel wierd blogging when we just made one two days ago, but I had to let everyone know about some more great news. Joni was supposed to start her job last Monday in Waco at Providence memorial hospital, but we were both very worried about her traveling every day 180 miles. She called her boss to see if she could start a week later because of how far behind we were on everything, and also to try our luck on finding a job here in Bryan or College Station. We have been looking for months without any luck, there are only about 4 or 5 dietician jobs in this entire area so thats why we had to take the job in Waco. She felt really strongly that she shouldn't go into work, and the first day she was looking for a job here, she was interviewed for a position with a nursing home as the head dietician. They decided to make a full time position just this week, and Joni found out today that they want her. She will start Wednesday, and I think she is basically the manager over food service, and the dietician for the entire nursing home, she will report directly to the administrator. It will be a pretty big pay cut, but still more than I made in Dallas. It's amazing how things work out sometimes. Her boss in Waco has been amazing through all of this and told her that her job offer in Waco will always be on the table if she wants it. It really does pay to be nice I guess, there were other people with more experience than Joni they could have given the job to, but they said she was the most personable.

We are experiencing time together we have never experienced...actually having time together to do things. We almost don't know what to do because we don't have tv, and we have all the time in the world right now. We got a couple of books to read, and we are thinking about going to the lake tomorrow to play or something. We have watched a lot of movies, and tried our best to get acquainted with the town. Sorry for those of you who may be super busy and hate us after reading this, but having too much time to do things can be over rated...we'll take what we can get. I'll have to take some pictures of the student rec center on campus when school starts, its the most gigantic rec center I have ever seen. And I found out they are planning to expand the football stadium over the next few years, allowing it to hold over 120,000 people. That would make it the biggest pro football or college stadium in the world. Can you tell I am excited to start school? I am finding out all kinds of little tidbits about the university before I have even started my program. Sorry for being boring, guess I'll go clean the kitchen...again.

13 comments:

Maude said...

Wow - -That is really wonderful news! Congratulations, Joni. We're not surprised you got the job, but truly happy for you - - -especially that you're going to be doing what you love and have dreamed of - -and that you don't have to travel all that distance. That would have been an incredible amount of travel day in and day out, which always increases the accident and risk possibilities. I know you've both been concerned about that.

It's also neat you have some time to enjoy each other's company. You've been very busy for the past year, so enjoy the little respite before the work and studies begin. It's a good time to "refuel" yourselves before the busy-ness begins. We're happy for you, and love you.

Anonymous said...

Paul - you can stop cleaning the kitchen now. It really does look pretty tidy! That is really great news - head diatician with a nursing home sounds wonderful, and I remember when Joni told me how much she loves working with older people. It does sound much better than that long commute! I agree with mom -you deserve some "down time". Let's think of things for Paul and Joni to do....
I loved that time with Rhett BC (before children). The rec center and football stadium sound Texas sized! I'm sure you will use them well!
Love,
Melecia

Anonymous said...

You're never boring. Great news, and well deserved. Congratulations. Love, Dad

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

That is the best news of the week--month, maybe year!! Anyway, it is really good news. I think that no matter what the pay is, it will be so worth not having to commute!!
Enjoy your time together!
Susan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the job Joni. That's nice that you found a job in the place you wanted to work. If I remember right, you've had experience at a dietician in a nursing home before that should come in handy now.

Enjoy the time off while you can Paul. Then you can join the rest of us that live in PTO land. :) Actually, I get really stir crazy when I have more than a week off of... don't know what to do with myself and end up watching a lot of TV or getting myself through all levels of Zelda.

Maude said...

Come on up if you're really bored and antsy; we'll put you to work! Ask Steve about hauling rocks and planting trees. I have a wonderful slave-driver for a husband, and he drives himself hardest of all. The rest of us work along with him, so you can, too!

Anonymous said...

Nice job, Joni. I was worried that you would burn out on that drive after 2 days.

Paul and Joni said...

I have done well with my "down time". I was thinking I wouldn't be good with it. I studied 6 hours today for summer school, finished my John Grisham book, watched three of the Harry Potter movies(which I have never seen until today), and went swimming. I feel obligated to watch the movies because our new friends let us borrow them and I want to give them back soon. 3 movies...that sounds like a lot. I don't think I could do this forever though.

Paul and Joni said...

I definately could not have mad it driving an hour to work and back - but at the time I was job hunting it was the ONLY job available in a 2 hr radius of Bryan after a 3 month search! That is why we are soooo blessed that I found this job. I really love the population too.

Paul and Joni said...

Joni

Maude said...

Joni, you were awesome to take the job with such a positive attitude. I'm so glad for you that you were rewarded with this other job - -- -and glad you kept trying. Driving that much every day is sooo tiring, and really does increase the chances of accidents, etc. I'm sure you'll love this new opportunity - - -and have a raise in no time!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job!!
We're so happy things are looking up and your apartment looks adorable!!
Enjoy the time together when you can get it!

Andrea said...

Did you guys get the email address I sent of my friends brother and sister-in-law? They sound like a good couple to hook up with, they've been in College Station for a year or so...