Tuesday, August 28, 2007

First of all, if the new background music bothers you, all you have to do is click pause...or adjust your volume. Dad, if you have questions about how to do that, call me and I'll walk you through it. I will try to add more music and adjust my playlist so you don't get sick of the same song over and over too, or you can click on a different song...Dad, you know what to do. I have to post another pictureless blog because I really felt like updating tonight, but Joni has the camera. She won 2 tickets to the Astros/Cardinals game on the radio, but I couldn't go with all my homework, so she is going with her pregnant friend Amanda (I'm sure she'll appreciate the pregnant reference).

Joni and I talked in church this last Sunday, it was the first time since we have been married that we did that. We spoke about the Book of Mormon. I can't believe after all our time together Joni and I never talked about our personal feelings towards it, and how we came to believe in it. I was floored by how good and spiritual her talk was, and I even got choked up remembering an old friend from my mission who literally had a life changing experience from reading the book. I felt a renewed faith and the same racing heart type of feeling I remember experiencing in Chile. It was pretty cool to feel that way again, and helped me realize how easy those feelings are to forget when I don't keep up. Despite some of the financial hardships we experience every once in a while, we are pretty blessed right now with a lot of friends, and a stronger relationship with each other as a result of living here. If you are contemplating a move or a change of scenery, I highly recommend taking that chance, at least for a while. I am reading about the culture shock "U curve" in my organizational behavior class, how moving to a new place involves excitement, then a lot of adjustment and hardship, then a gradual acceptance and love for wherever you are. If I never would have had that conversation with Joel about Purdue a few years back, I probably wouldn't have thought of moving as a reality...so thanks Joel.

I have never enjoyed school as much as I am enjoying it right now. I feel the need to write that because 2 months down the road I will probably have to read that statement over just to get by. My favorite class so far is employment law...I know, it sounds really boring...but I seriously have to participate and raise my hand for almost every question, and I get all giddy like a kid in a candy store. I have never been like that in school. There are 31 students in my program, 3 in thier 40's, one other 27 yr old besides myself, and the rest straight out of school. Only 3 of us are not from Texas...18 girls, 13 guys. I am getting along really well with everyone, and one in particular is and older lady from India. We talk quite a bit and she is super nice. The funny thing is, I didn't find out until we had a graduate orientation seminar, that she is the wife of the Dean over Mays Business School. He came up to me and said, "you must be Paul", and I was like, "what?"... I felt kind of cool I guess for a minute. In the next week I will be applying to interview for several internships for the summer. The school has some really strong ties to some major companies, I get nervous just thinking about it. Internships should start filling up by October, its so crazy. My first A&M football game is this Saturday against Montana State. I am sitting right behind the Core, 40 yard line by the field behind the Aggie bench. You have to pull tickets a week ahead of time to get a seat. I WILL blog about that experience. The night before every home game, everyone packs into the stadium for "yell practice". There are no cheerleaders at A&M, just dude's in suspenders. All the cheers are practiced ahead of time so when game time comes, everyone knows what to do and when a cheer is coming, and since there are 3 decks, everyone needs to know the cheers so we yell at the same time. Anyways, can you tell I am excited? I have to go study now.

8 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

ps-did anyone see that miss teen usa response to a question? Oh my goodness, I am so embarrassed for her. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Anonymous said...

I saw that - very funny. My favorite part is when she says, "such as".

I don't know of any other place that gets together for yell practice. ESPN has Texas A&M ranked number 3 for the best place to watch a football game. But I think Texas football fans are second to nobody.

Anonymous said...

I saw that teen USA movie yesterday, pretty pathetic.

I've never heard of a yell practice either...pretty hardcore.

I was kinda disgruntled last year by that football conference and how they talked about BSU. Texas was one of the worst, claiming they didn't want to play anyone so lowly as BSU that would not allow them showcase their greatness. I guess in the end, they would have wished they could play anyone.

Crazy fans. :)

Paul and Joni said...

Its cool being in a big conference to see the difference in conferences. I agree that smaller schools get snubbed a lot when they really aren't that different or worse than the bigger ones, kids are kids no matter where they played football in high school. I think the "pride" factor comes into play when you feel you're team is in the national spotlight every year or at least plays teams in the spotlight every year. Size of your stadium, and your traditions have a huge impact on that superior feeling over smaller schools. It even exists with BYU-USU football, and the mtn west conference to the WAC. I just think it is cool to be able to get the perspective from both sides. I hope USU bball plays A&M this year.

Andrea said...

Best of luck, Paul!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are excited about your classes. It appears that you have a real fit for your interests. Good luck getting a great internship experience!
Your reference to the blog music was appreciated. I just finsihed a six session class at our community college for second level training seniors on microsoft word. I have a tutor from the class that I see every Friday who is helping me make applications of what I've learned. It really helps. I've got him interested in genealogy and we also meet weekly at the Family History Center at our stake.
I agree with your observation about moving. Our NY experience fit the bill for getting us out of a rut. Our return to Colorado has been more meaningful and enjoyable. Life is beautiful! Love you. Dad

Joel said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your classes and I'm flattered that talking to you about Purdue was influential. You and Erin should get together about your class. It's her first night tonight and she's not too exicted. Her book for the class was something about how not to get sued when you hire. Wierd. I'm about to figure out a way to have some connection to the BSU game tonight. I am sooo excited for the football season to start!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,