Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Reverence for the heat

I just know everyone who has a blog in Texas will be writing about this same subject in the next couple of weeks...or anyone in the south for that matter...because its something that is just insane this time of year down here. Before you start thinking that you are missing warm weather and that I am a whiner for complaining about it, please listen to the phenomenon that it is to have reverence for the heat.

The past few months I have come to love this place...seriously, I love the winter, spring, and fall here. I love driving my truck around in February with the windows down listening to country music and fitting in with my fellow Texans at the local hot spots. Despite the fact that there really aren't any mountains other than the city landfill, I would totally live here if we only had family that lived here too. Jobs are everywhere, the pay is great, and you can practically steal a 4 bedroom home on 2 acres of land for next to nothing (I guess if you steal it then its free, but it sounded good when I first wrote it). I reached the point that I would totally recommend that anyone live here...that is until the heat comes. Something happened two days ago that is pretty hard to explain. Saturday we were out having a BBQ in the park with some friends, having the time of our lives, feeling like teenagers without a care in the world on a cool spring night. Then Sunday came, and God flipped off the AC and turned on the Texas heat.

This heat is unlike anything I have ever experienced...it hurts to wear a hat because it sticks to my head. When I step outside I immediately feel a rush of warmth, and my shirt feels heavy and thick. I am only outside for a few minutes to take Dilly out, and I can't even open my eyes or raise my head...I've been stricken with reverence for the heat. Suddenly my body feels slow, and every time I try to brush the sweat pouring down my face with my shirt sleeve, I realize that the rest my shirt is stuck to my body. I try to escape to the shade, but there is seriously no difference in temperature between the shade and the sun because of the humidity. To give you a better idea of how bad it can get during the summer, we keep our house at 80 degrees to save on electricity, and it feels cold. Keeping a two bedroom apartment at this temperature will cost about $170/ month. Most people who own homes pay around $500/ month...is that normal? I've never owned a home but I thought that was a little high.

So let this be a warning to all of you who think grass is always greener on the other side. Next time you are wishing for summer to come, just remember that everything is bigger in Texas...even the heat index, and its not even May!

7 comments:

Maude said...

I'm sorry. It sounds awful. I'm not a heat-seeker, anyway, and heat with high humidity is a killer. Saps the energy right out of you! After visiting Louisiana and Florida in August, I totally understood why people there talk and move slowly. Maybe you'll have an early fall??? (That's weak, I know, but the best I can offer.)

Love you,

Mom

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

That was an interesting blog, Paul. Weather extremes aren't much fun. I remember how cold it got in NY winters and the sun rarely came out. Few people had air conditioning. July and August got very uncomfortable. I'm not looking forward to the heat in Texas when we visit San Antonio in August, but I'm glad for air conditioning and for after sundown walks along the river front. It seems to me you make the best out of your life whereever you are. Love you, Dad

Moore Family said...

Nice blog Paul. No, I don't envy that. I've experienced high heat and high humidity a little bit before and it's not enjoyable. It gets hot here in Utah, but your skin stays dry and there are places to escape the heat. I think at worst, our electric bill hits $140/month in the summer.

When I was in Philadelphia, there was a summer where the temperature didn't drop below 100 degrees for 13 days... even at 3am in the morning. All we had were two fans which we'd put right next to our beds, but it didn't help much. That stuff is miserable.

Tyler and Jaimee said...

That sucks it is so hot. I cant even stand to be a in a room thats over 70 degrees so I would die out there for sure. I would love to get a dog also to replace the need to have a baby but jaimee isn't too fond of having a dog in the house, and I dont want an outdoor dog. Well see if I can break her down, or maybe well just have a baby to fill in for not having a dog.
Have fun out there with your swalls, talk to you later.
Tyler

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Remember New York City when it was over 100 degrees and the humidity was like 100% Yikes, that was so miserable! Air Conditioning has to be right up there with the top inventions of all time!! What did people do before they had it in places like Arizona and Texas???

I was thinking at the start of your blog that we should all move down there and get 2 acre ranches in the same town and then you talked about the heat and I think I'll stay put!!!

Stay inside!

Love,
Susan

Sean said...

All you need to make this post perfect is a picture of a blazing hot sun. I'm not sure where you could get one of those though!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,