Saturday, May 31, 2008

I love country music...I decided I don't care anymore if people think only hicks, saps, and wierdos listen to country music. I'm officially addicted, you have to try it...go on a drive on your own while the sun is about to go down during the summertime with the windows rolled down in your car...I guarantee it'll put a smile on your face. Of course you have to turn the volume up and you can't turn it down when someone stops next to you at the stoplights...singing along really loud helps too. I wish I could see more people singing along to their music, I always get embarrassed but why? I used to do the same thing in high school with the Mormon Rap and I turned out okay. Who really cares, at least you aren't picking your nose and wiping it under the seat.

Of course I love most music, and lots of music makes me feel lots of different ways...but country has a special place in my heart- same thing with Bob Marley. I got re-addicted as I drove through Tennessee and Kentucky, it just feels right around here. I think about all my favorite places to go, and favorite places to eat, and the best ones involve country themes (neon lights, old beat up signs, trucks). No wonder I married a girl from Vernal. The other day while eating lunch in my truck (I like to get out of the office without using gas), a guy came outside with a John Deere baseball cap and pulled a bail of hay out of the trunk of his car and set it on the ground. Then he pulled out his lunch and sat on the bail of hay to eat it...his lunch not the hay. Put another smile on my face.

I drove around town today. Went to Churchill Downs (Kentucky Derby), U of Louisville, walked around downtown, and went to the Louisville Slugger Bat museum. All the Rocky movies were on all day too...you could say it was a pretty good day.

Thanks to everyone who called, I love talking to you all so feel free to pick up the phone anytime. I would do the same but sometimes when you are the one who is alone and bored, other people aren't and don't want to talk. Joni gets here Thursday which also happens to be our 4 year anniversary, can't wait to see her. Joni got bit by a wierd bug and her foot ended up swelling pretty bad. Of course she had to get on the plane so she didn't have time to go to the doctor. To make a long story short, she went to the emergency room after getting off the plane because it got really bad. Its gone down quite a bit, but she still managed to keep a sense of humor about it. She sent me a picture of her foot while swollen, and she made an indented smiley face on it that wouldn't go away. She is okay, but yet another thing to put a smile on my face.

Joni is bringing the camera so hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures next week. Have a great week everyone.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that country music too - nothing like it when you're on the road. Hope Joni's foot is okay, and glad you are making the most of Louisville. Thursday will be here before you know it!
Love,
Melecia

Maude said...

Like you, Paul, I love many kinds of music, but something about country music is the best. It's "real" and just easy to sing with and listen to. And it definitely tends to bring smiles - --once in a while a tear.

Sorry I wasn't there to go to Churchill Downs with you. You know it's still on my "bucket list," so I'm not giving up on it!

I'm excited for you that Joni will soon be there, and hope her foot is healed and there are no complications from her bug bite.

Love you both lots.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you Paul. I'm glad you are a lover of country music. I think all of the family enjoys it, some from one extreme, others to the other extreme. I'm still a jazz and classic buff, but love all music, especially from the heart....that's where you keep coming from.

Hope Joni feels better and that you enjoy your time together next long weekend.

Love you, Dad

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about country music~I agree so much with what you said! I, of course, still LOVE Tim McGraw best but there are sure a lot of good country singers and groups out there that bring a smile to my face! I love Rascal Flats and Brad Paisley always makes me laugh!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again---I love your passion for life, Paul! You always make every situation good and positive. I seriously think you should look into writing a column in a newspaper (maybe just for fun--keep your HR career going).

I hope you and Joni have a mah-ve-lous reunion and a wonderful anniversary!! I hope her foot is feeling better! That sounds like one nasty bug!!

Love ya,
Susan

Moore Family said...

Kendi listens to country from time to time, so sometimes I listen with her. When I was 21, I'd go country dancing and listened to the country music station all the time. After a while, it started sounding the same to me. I like heartland music, but I have to listen to country in small doses.

When I'm outside working, I usually turn it to the "Classic Rock" station, which is now 70's and 80's stuff. They play a pretty good diverse mix of stuff and the quality of music overall is SO much better than most of today's pop music.

Glen

Joel said...

I'm with Glen, dude. I can take the country music is small doses.

Joel said...

I'm with Glen, dude. I can take the country music is small doses.

Paul and Joni said...

Yeah I agree, you can't take too much of any music all the time. I think with any music, when a song you really like comes up at just the right time, it really makes you love that kind of music. I still listen to everything, but right now I'm in a country phase for the first time since high school.

Like, I imagine if Jerry Mcguire was a real person, he would say he loves Tom Petty because after he made his big sale and he was on the road, he heard "Free Fallin" at just the right time. I'm sure Prince Eric is partial to melodies sung by young red headed mermaids because of his experience with one. I guess it just hit me at the right time so its my thing right now.

Sean said...

I saw the foot before she left and though, oh Joni, don't be such a girl, and now I feel like a real shmuck for thinking it. Sorry Joni, I am glad you are getting better.

Perhaps I will call you some time Paul, but it is now Thursday night, Joni is now with you, and it is your anniversary. I think you will be plenty busy without a call from me.

Anonymous said...

Paul and Joni:

We tried to reach you on our cell phone from the beach yesterday to wish you happy anniversary and your phone was out of order. Have you changed your phone numbers?

Hope your time together was fun. We love you very much!

Dad and Susan