Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Two miracles happened last night.

1) It snowed in College Station, Texas
2) The world didn't end, and nothing in the town shut down because of the snow
This picture is not Texas snow but since its the only real snow we've been around the last three years then it'll have to do for now.

I would have taken pictures but it would be kind of embarrassing. There was enough, however, to be able to make a good quick snowball. Dilly's first "experience" in the snow involved a tail between the legs (more like a little "nub" facing downwards) and intense sniffing inspections, as she bounced over the stuff like it was hot coal. Once inside she bolted into the bedroom and hid under the sheets where Joni was still sleeping, I can't wait to see what she does in Connecticut.


So, I am done with school. My week has been filled with finishing one book, starting another, playing basketball, playing video games, and talking on the phone with about ten different people to try and set up appointments to see apartments and houses. Friday morning we will go see President Bush speak (there have been secret agents all over town checking things out) and Friday night I get my diploma...wierd. I'm realizing how much I look "down the road" in the life. I'll think about how I can't wait to go back to school, then how I can't wait to graduate, then how I can't wait to start a job, when I should really be focusing more on making myself happy right now. I know a lot of people would die to be in my position right now doing what I'm doing with my free time, I just need to soak it all in and enjoy it while it lasts. I feel very blessed to have a job lined up, and stressed for friends who don't.


So with the soaking it all in comes soaking in the Christmas season. I remember some of the best Christmas' I have ever had were the best because of what I did BEFORE Christmas. I'm not just talking about watching Christmas movies (which is the best) or decorating the house, but getting out to provide service. I'm glad I have parents and friends who have taught me the importance of service, especially during this time of year. Sometimes I wait to hear in church what service is needed, other times you can find it on your own. Some of the most memorable experiences in my life were helping at the soup kitchen, singing at nursing homes, going caroling, or picking a family to help out on Christmas. Its hard to get out there at first because it can be outside our "comfort zone", but it quickly becomes worth it. Everything becomes less exhausting when we remember what and who we are doing it for. How did this turn into a sermon?


I want to hear your best Christmas story. Lets inspire some people with our blogs to make this Christmas the best one yet. Maybe we can inspire someone who normally wouldn't get out there and volunteer, to do so. The more Christmas spirit out there the better, it will help us understand the true meaning of it all instead of arguing about whether or not to use the word "Christmas". God bless us everyone...not bahhh humbug! (it only seemed fitting to say that...with an English accent of course).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Christmas card and picture you sent us! Congratulations on being DONE and getting that big diploma. I'll plan on blogging my best Christmas memories and stories - great idea!
Love,
Melecia

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Dilly is really a wimp. It will be fun to hear how she adjusts in Connecticut. I usually shovel a path on our patio after it snows so Molly will get started to head for the grass to do her dog thing. She starts gingerly and then bounces around in the snow like a rabbit. Most dogs, except the big crazy ones, are wimps in the snow.

Be sure to take pictures when you graduate. We will be with you in spirit. Congratulations! Now the education will really begin!

I'm glad you learned in your youth how much better Christmas is when doing kindnesses for others. Recently we baptized a large black blind man into the church. He is very kind, thoughtful, humble, and grateful. I ordained him to the office of Priest last Sunday. He is thrilled to belong to the church and to be a Priesthood holder. He hasn't seen his mother who lives in Massachusetts for over three years. Members of the ward are making it possible for him to fly back to see her and to help him get some clothing that he needs. It warms my heart to see how people's lives are blessed when in the service of our fellow beings.

Love you.

Dad

Moore Family said...

I always think fondly of my first Christmas while on a mission in Allentown, PA. There was over a foot of snow on the ground and the row homes lit everything up like an icey wonderland. For service, we'd pick an intersection and help get cars moving on the ice, or we'd shovel walks.

There was a very poor family in our little branch. The father had lost his job as a factory worker. They had two very small kids and were struggling to put food on the table. As missionaries, we had a small fixed amount of money for food each month but we felt like we had to help. On Christmas Eve we emptied most of the food from our shelves and gifts we had received from home, wrapped it up in bed sheets and tied our Santa bags to our bike racks. I remember riding several miles through the snow late Christmas Eve to this family's house on the outskirts of town. We left everything at the door and left for home. Our hearts were full and that was a Christmas I'll always remember.

Glen

The Paulks said...

oh my gosh! I just read your post about Joni's colonoscopy below. Freaking hilarious. Did I mention that I work in a GI lab here? :) I've never heard so many 'squeakers' in all my life. 8 hours straight. It doesn't get much better than that.

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,