Saturday, February 21, 2009

I am writing this blog on Microsoft Word in hopes that I can at least copy and paste it to blogger. I thought we were having a problem with our computer (which we still might since we haven’t had antivirus protection for like 5 years…I know, not smart). But for some reason our service, or our old house, makes it nearly impossible to be on the internet for more than 3 minutes without it freezing up and losing a connection. Have you ever had to copy every email that you write just in case it doesn’t go through so you don’t have to write it again? It’s not very fun. So maybe I’ll post this…maybe I won’t.

Our landlord called us today to tell us that our neighbor complained because we were parking in their “spot” that she has parked in for years. We always just parked wherever without thinking anything of it, but apparently this really upset her. Why can’t people just speak for themselves instead of passing it off to someone else? Its no big deal for us to walk an extra 5 feet, so we parked one space over…problem solved. This is the same neighbor that uses our washer and dryer without asking (which is fine, we’re happy to share) but its frustrating when we want to do laundry and can’t because a family of 5 is using it. So what did we do? I went outside and picked up every single toy they had strewn on the ground, swept their porch and cleaned their mats, fixed their bench and picked up their shoes that were on the ground. Funny thing is, it felt pretty good, and I was no longer mad about the whole thing afterwards.

I’m learning something about the east coast, we still think people are really nice…in person…but when it comes to driving they are the meanest ever. Everyone loves to blare their horns and yell which I’m sure helps, but it’s a bit of a double standard I think. Have you ever seen someone get REALLY mad at you while driving, but then you recognize them? Funny how we can put on a show when we think no one is watching. I’m learning that the older I get, the more pet peeves I get, and that bugs me a little. I’m making a personal rule that I will only be allowed 3 good pet peeves, its not worth it to dwell on things you can’t change.

So we did 3 monumental things this past week.

1) We paid off our car. I’m a little worried about this one because the last time we paid off a car it broke down and then someone broke all the windows out, stole the radio, and ripped off the dash. Then we had to salvage it for $150.

2) We started dance lessons. We are taking a course every Friday night with some other couples, this week we learned the Waltz, the Rumba, and a couple others. It was funny because I was talking to an older lady who was sitting by herself and asked what class she was taking, she said, “I’m learning the Mamba, but I’m just here for the dance party afterwards”

3) We bought plane tickets to Europe. In April we are going to Barcelona and other towns in Spain, then to London. Spain has been #2 behind Italy on our places-we-want-to-go list, so we are totally excited.

That’s been our lives the past couple of weeks. We are trying to get back into shape, and we’re having lots of fun with our new friends here. Hasta next time!

10 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

I can't say I was feeling as "nice" about the whole parking situation as he was. I was upstairs fuming while Paul was straightening the porch mess and being a nice guy... I guess I should follow his good example next time.

:) Joni

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

As always I enjoyed your blog. I hope you don't mind a few comments from your pater. When we moved to our present house we had a neighbor who had strong prejudices against Mormons because their daughter dated an LDS boy in HS who wasn't a very good example. We took cookies over when we introduced ourselves, found we had several things in common, and I have developed my usual sarcastic self into a fun kidding relation-ship with the man, and a sharing of love for gardens, birds, and other animals with his Girl Scout leader wife. It helps to sit down and talk with your neighbors to learn what we have in common and to be able to avoid future conflicts. Don't let it escalate.

I saw the same kind of drivers in NY and in California. Friday I went to pick up a pizza and there was an extremely angry man wearing a Boston sweat-shirt who was cussing and impatient with a young man who was obviously a new employee. I just looked at the man while he was being so mean, didn't say a word, but my look lasted several seconds. Noticing my stare the man finally tried to cover his anger and become syrupy sweet. It was ridiculous.

I'm glad you paid off your car. Having very little or no debt is a great way to live, no matter what bad happens to you. How fun that you are taking dancing. Susan wants me to learn some of the country steps I know you already can do.

If you want some tips on visiting Barcelona or other places in Spain and Italy I can give you a bunch. Let me know.

Make your week happy.

Love, Dad

Moore Family said...

I could see how you would be annoyed that the neighbor would just tell your landlord instead of talking to you about it. That is frustrating however I am amazed at how Paul handled it. That is a great example! Thanks for sharing.

How great does it feel to pay off your car?!

I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous about your upcoming trip. Sounds like a blast and I am sure you guys will soak it all up!

Moore Family said...

I think you're right about getting more pet peeves as you get older. I don't want to be an old cranky person, and it's good to recognize it when it's happening. Most of the time, I don't get road rage and check my anger pretty well. But last week, I yelled at a guy because he was tailgating me REALLY close. Kendi got a good laugh and then I laughed because I realized how stupid I made myself look. I try not to swear and so instead of saying bad words, I'll yell something dumb like, "Go back the the circus, circus clown!" Or "Rat piece of garbage!"

Glen

Paul and Joni said...

hahaha, no wonder Kendi was laughing at you

Joel said...

Hey, nice place man. It's way different than I visualized. When you told your story about the parking I hadn't looked at your place yet and I thought you were in a big building and it was some random neighbor, not the only other person living in the buillding. I would have let the air out of her tires. Take that! Lady with many kids!

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I seriouly think you handled that situation with the neighbor with so much class! Good job, bro! I think that is so cool that you are taking dance class together, and that your car is paid off (knock on wood), and that you get to go to EUROPE! You guys have a blast! Thanks for the blog!
-Melecia

Maude said...

Good for you, Paul. You definitely too the high road. I'm so proud of you! I have a feeling she'll feel a bit sheepish when she sees your reaction, and maybe will think before making mountains out of molehills again. Remember when Tim Sidenstricker called the homeowner's association because we forgot to paint a 3-foot strip of the eves - - -instead of just telling us? People who waste that much energy on the "small stuff" are hurting their own mental and physical health.

Jenny Moore said...

Way to handle a tense situation.
I would have been upstairs fuming like Joni!!!
Congrats on the fun things you are doing and have planned!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,