Sunday, April 26, 2009

Paul's London trip

Our thermostat reads 86 degrees and its not lying. Its been in the 40's and we thought we had some time before we needed to go buy an ac unit, but this week we've been hit with a heat wave and we are hating life for not being prepared now. Poor Dilly's tongue hangs out and we move around like zombies. Connecticut has also been hit with a virus in the main source of drinking water supply, so we haven't had any drinking water since last week and we have no idea when it will be ok to drink again. It effects all the restaraunts and gas stations because no one can serve soft drinks...worst of all, the slurpee machines are even down at the local 7-11.

On a positive note, Joni made me the coolest quilt ever! plus England was awesome too! I have a bunch of t-shirts that I've had since a teenager that I absolutely love, but they were getting worn out. Joni decided to make me a quilt of some of my favorite past t-shirts, I love it.



London was soooo fun. I had a couple of days to just walk around and see all the sights. I took a train from the airport to my hotel and walked around until I was completely exhausted. I got lost so many times, there aren't any street signs and I didn't realize until the 2nd day that all the street signs are actually on the buildings. Some of the highlights the first couple of days included Buckingham palace, Westminster Abby, the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Parliament, fish and chips, riding the tube, and a whole bunch more. Its not like any place I've ever been, it was really beautiful, unique, and surprisingly clean. I didn't notice any garbage/litter anywhere, and everything was in full bloom for spring. There were so many different accents everywhere I went, and I even used one of the red phone booths to make a phone call.
The rest of the week I spent in Chesham for work. We stayed in a beautiful red brick mansion/castle in the countryside. On Tuesday we went to Windsor Castle which was probably the highlight of the trip. Not only was it amazing to be in such a historic place, but Ben & Jerry's had free ice cream day for Queen Elizabeth's birthday just outside the castle afterwards. I made some great friends while there, and overall I couldn't have been happier about the whole experience. We ended it all with a James Bond themed party at a fancy country club, including a lousy lounge singer who sang all the Bond songs. While everyone else was drunk at the party I made a fool of myself by cutting a little rug on the dance floor to "hallelulah it's raining men", but unfortunately I didn't bring my camera for that experience. When I was at Windsor I just about got ran over by some guards, I'll post the video at the bottom, I wanted to march next them so bad but I was afraid of being stabbed by their scary looking guns.
Standing under a tree and looking up at the blossoms...

Latimer Place (my hotel) in Chesham, it was like a maze inside. It sure beat the closet I slept in while in London.

Our library at Latimer Place where we stayed...it was Professor Plum...with the candlestick.


11 comments:

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Wow, Paul! What an awesome experience! So sorry Joni wasn't able to go and that you are in miserable heat. I'm glad you are getting an ac asap. Can you buy a supply of water from Wal-mart? I love the quilt made of your t-shirts and favorite teams. You had a true Longdon experience in a very short time. The trip through Windsor Castle and seeing how the old British pomp and ceremony continues as a highlight in the culture was a real highlight. I liked your quarters with Mr. Plumb at Latimer Place. Good show governor! Tally ho"

Dad

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

What a fabulous quilt!! Good job Joni!

Paul, your pictures of your trip are fantastic. Makes us want to go really badly!!

Glad you are back safely. I hope the heat wave breaks soon and that they get the water problem taken care of.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt Joni, and wish you could have gone with Paul, but we're all so excited about the little bambino. Paul - what a great trip! I've never been to London - it looks fabulous! I would love to watch those guards march by and have some ice cream in honor of the queen's birthday. That water supply virus makes me realize I need to store some water - thanks for the little kick in the pants! You guys are so great, and we can't wait to see you whenever!
Love,
Melecia

Anonymous said...

Stay Cool - wish we had an extra ac unit!
Melecia

Moore Family said...

That's great that you had a couple days to explore London. Bummer than Joni couldn't go to, but there will be another time. I'm very impressed with the quilt. Kudos to Joni for a great idea and a lot of work I'm sure.

Glen

Maude said...

Joni, I LOVE the quilt - - -and the photo. Did Dilly help with the quilt as well, or were you holding her to keep her off the quilt during the picture-taking? :)

Paul, thanks for sharing the pictures of your trip. It sounds so wonderful! I wish I could have been in your back pocket for the experience! Someday - - - -since nearly all my ancestors are English and Welsh, it's always been high on my Bucket List, but I appreciate sharing a little taste of it through you. Your photos are great, especially of the place you stayed. Looks wonderful!

Always,

Mom

Maude said...

Joni, I LOVE the quilt - - -and the photo. Did Dilly help with the quilt as well, or were you holding her to keep her off the quilt during the picture-taking? :)

Paul, thanks for sharing the pictures of your trip. It sounds so wonderful! I wish I could have been in your back pocket for the experience! Someday - - - -since nearly all my ancestors are English and Welsh, it's always been high on my Bucket List, but I appreciate sharing a little taste of it through you. Your photos are great, especially of the place you stayed. Looks wonderful!

Always,

Mom

Joel said...

Wow. I'm really jealous. I need to go to London (or Europe) soon. It's not right that I haven't gone. I wish I could trade a little of our cold for a little of your hot. It has honestly snowed about 9 out of the last 10 days and will snow more tomorrow. I gotta say though, I prefer cold to hot, especially at home.

Jen said...

joni great quilt! you will have to teach me! Great pics paul. Did you take jonis nice camera?

The Paulks said...

so jealous! That looks like such a fun trip... I've always wanted to go to Europe! Too bad I couldn't open your video from work... :(

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,