Everyone has a different experience in having thier first child, this is OUR story.
Everything couldn't have gone smoother the day we went into the hospital. I always imagined weaving in and out of traffic while Joni was hollering in pain, then rushing into the hospital in a wheelchair or on a stretcher. We walked in on our own at 8am, checked into our room, then sat and talked as we watched students on the UNC campus walk to their classes. Joni was induced at about 2pm on Friday. After some longer and more frequent/painful contractions began a couple of hours later, she took the epidural. That was the first time I think Joni felt a lot of pain, the contractions were painful, but I could tell things were real then.
The drugs were awesome, from then Joni didn't feel as much pain but there is always the pressure. We got used to the consistency of contraction, and Joni started getting the "shakes" which is consistent with having epidurals and transitioning into larger dilation. At about 11pm the doctors told us that she was fully dilated and that as soon as she felt pressure she could push. In that moment I started to wonder if I was going to be able to help Joni or end up on the floor upon fainting. All of the waiting suddenly came to a point that we felt overwhelmed and underprepared. I found myself taking the same deep breaths as Joni so that we could both relax.
The pushing began at 11:15 and everything changed. I suddenly felt a confidence and I saw the same reaction in Joni's countenance after the first push. It was me, the nurse, and Joni in the room and we were doing three reps of pushes at the heighth of each contraction. After 45 minutes our little girl came out with eyes wide open. She was looking around at everything, and she kept them open until her eye drops were put in.
Now, a lot of people react differently when they see that baby for the first time. I've heard even the toughest guys tell me they balled their eyes out, but that just wasn't what I felt. Joni was so happy and crying, and all of my attention was on her telling her that she did it and how happy I was for her. I looked at the baby with wonder, what was she? how did she get there? how is she breathing? Is this all real? I could never have imagined what she looked like, and it threw me for a loop when I was finally looking right at her. There is a connection that mother's instantly have with their kids, it was amazing to see, and I knew Joni literally transformed in just a few seconds. For me, every time I hold our baby I feel more attached and I love her more and more, for Joni it was instantaneous.
Ellie Ryan was born at 12:02am, weighing in at 7lbs 5oz. To everyone else she probably looks like a baby, but to us she is so beautiful and unique. We are fans of her every move. Here are some pics in order of her short little life so far.
Her skin was so beautiful and clean right when she came out, this is just moments after she was born. Her feet aren't black, this was just the ink.









We ended up staying at the hospital for 4 days instead of the usual 2. Ellie had jaundice and had to be under the lights in the nursery for 3 days. We spent a lot of time waiting, talking, throwing sticky breast gel caps at the window to see how long they would stick, and holding the baby.
Ellie has opened up a part of our hearts that we didn't know existed and no words can define our feelings these last couple of days. We do know we never imagined being able to love anything this much...
We are happy to say that we are now home and happy to have a beautiful, healthy baby girl.

24 comments:
She is beautiful and precious. Congrats to you both.
She is SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Luv you guys!
So freaking cute and she looks like she's already got some good rolls on her! Those are the best.
Ah, Bess wants to know if we can keep her?
We've been waiting for "real" pictures. Keep them coming!
Congrats!
Love you all!
She is perfect! Melecia commented to me today that you think she looks like her and I think you are right. Some of the pictures resemble Melecia quite a bit. She is absolutely beautiful and you are awesome parents! We are so thrilled for all three of you!!!
xo,
Susan
K, wait...one more comment. I totally agree, something on her looks like Melecia. Her nose?
K, that's all I have to say!
P.S. Your present is going to be on it's way soon!
Congratulations guys! She's an absolutely beautiful little baby. You guys will be great parents. Hope that we get to see you in the not so distant future.
Glen
Susan left me a note about how beautiful the pictures of the baby are. The combination of pictures with your heartfelt expression made me cry. It really captures the unspeakable joy that comes from going through birthing. Your family is absolutely wonderful!
Congratulations on becoming parents. Ellie Ryan is as cute as they come, and really knows how to cry...a good sign of a robust baby. Much love to all three of you. I'm working on ways to be able to get out to see you in the new year.
xo
Dad
She is absolutely darling! Wish you lived closer so we could see her in person. Congratulations - we're so thrilled for you!
Oh my! Way to make me cry, Paul - -but thank you, thank you so much for your words and the photos. Ellie is a beautiful, beautiful baby, and Joni, the photo of your face is incredibly gorgeous. You look tired, but have such a serene, quiet beauty.
We're so very happy for you. I personally don't think "Melecia" when I see her, but she does have the cute little turned-up nose you all had. We love her already.
Love you all so much!
Mom/Gram
Congrats!! she is soooo cute. I want to hear if Joni thought it was easier or harder (the delivery) than she had thought! I am proud of her! I LOVE the name Ellie too I think its soo cute. Congrats you guys!
OH my goodness she is Soooo gorgeous I am really not just saying that she really is!!! I love how chubby she is already, some newborns are so skinny they look funny she is soooo cute I just want to squish her cheeks!!! You guys are great! I am so happy for the three of you!
umm I am getting emotional at work...not cool Paul. Well I love baby!!!! She is sooooo cute. Congrats guys. We love you!
Great work to all 3 of you.
Congrats.
Congrats, guys! She is beautiful, and I love the wide open eyes.
By the way, Joni, this is Renee (Goodrich) Shaffer from high school. I stumbled across your blog from Tari's blog and saw you were pregnant and I had to congratulate you!
Congrats again on your beautiful daughter!
I have to keep signing on, just to look at the photos over and over again. I can't believe her cute little eyebrows! She looks like she's already been at work with an eyebrow pencil! How wonderful! Can't wait to meet her.
Mom
So so so cute!!
Congrats! She is a keeper!!
I'm in love! She is a beautiful little lady, and we are happy to see the pics and hear the story. We love you!
Melecia
She has my double chin!!
Melecia
p.s. we're driving through on Sunday on the way to Florida. If you are up to it, we could stop by for a few minutes!
I'm really glad to see the post and pictures come up. I know it's been a tough few days. I can't imagine how much I'd want to be home with my family after that ordeal. She is beautiful.
She doesn't look like just a baby to me, I think she's perfect and beautiful. Great post, Paul, made me cry too. Congratulations.
Love,
Erin
That is a great story Paul. She is a beautiful little girl. Amiling already. Glad to hear things went well and both of the girls are great.
She is darling and I am not just saying that. She is beautiful but I am not suprised because of her parents. I teared up during this whole blog. So Fun! My heart is full for the two of you. I am so excited for you. Congratulations! She is finally here!
Congratulations! We'll have to come down and meet her sometime soon. She was such an adorable little newborn. Usually they look kind of alien-ish but Ellie looks adorable from the get-go.
Post a Comment