Sunday, February 14, 2010

Living in a box

I'm realizing more and more each day how so many people, myself included, tend to live in our own little box. We have our own little family, our own little house, our group of family and friends, our possessions, and we don't tend to think much about people around us. We do that because its where we feel comfortable, but if you think about it, are we really that different than anyone else? So different that we shut others out of our lives, and walk/drive past someone who needs help?

We all think that WE are the best drivers and that everyone else is out to get us. We think that our own problems are the biggest and the worst, and that we are successful businessmen because of something we did on our own. We look at things other people do, and jump to criticize them because its not the way WE would do it. See a recurring theme here?

I'm finding that one of the best ways to find satisfaction and happiness in life doesn't involve a couch and a television. It involves picking up a phone, walking out the door, and meeting new people. The more people I get to know, the more stories I hear, and the more I realize how lucky I am to have a job, a nice rental, 2 cars, a beautiful family, and a sweet but troubled little dog. I remember one of the things I wanted to bless Ellie with more than anything, was to feel compassion and love for people around her who aren't as fortunate as she is.

We have great friends and family who are always stepping out of their little boxes, and I admire them for that. Joni and I think it would be nice to find a way at least once a month to do something positive for someone we don't necessarily know well. It seems that there are a lot of sad people out there and people struggling to get by that I know through work and my church calling, but I've felt stongly that I need to do something and I think this is it. We'll let you know how it goes and share our stories of our new friends, not to toot our own horns, but with hopes to inspire others in the way we've felt inspired.

Joni took some pictures this weekend of some random stuff around our neighborhood. She made a couple of friends (a horse, and some neighbors who were curious as to why a girl was taking pictures of their barn). We'll post a video or two of Ellie for the grandparents soon.




11 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

That horse is the coolest! I named her Flow.

Joni

Andrea said...

Paul, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think so many times we tend to think too big when it comes to showing compassion to others. We are willing to give money and aid to people thousands of miles away, and we don't consider our neighbors who are suffering. Both are wonderful, but weren't we asked to "love our neighbors"? Having the opportunity to give is such a special responsibility. You are a great example. Thanks.

Maude said...

We surely do have "boxes," Paul. That book you loaned me, "How Starbucks Saved My Life," reminded me of that, big time. So many preconceived notions, especially about people a little "different" from us. I agree with Andrea - - -sometimes it's the "little" kindnesses that can make a big difference in someone's day/life.

Love the snowy pictures, Joni. A camera's a great way to make friends, don't you think? I took mine to the mall one morning, and the response is amazing! Horses' teeth - -not pretty, but a great photo! And Dilly - - -she's a love! I've decided she doesn't like to walk in your neighborhood because she smells/hears creatures we don't.

Love you all so much.
Mom

Maude said...

P. S. Just read an interesting article about a Karl Rabeder, a millionare who's giving all his money to charitable causes because, "The more money I had, the heavier I felt, and less fulfilled." We can all share better, that's for sure.

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Wow, I want to live in your neighborhood! It is incredibly beautiful there. Love your idea on getting off the couch and out the door to meet new folks and do good things for people! Great start for the new year. Can't wait to hear what you come up with!

Love,
Susan

Heather said...

Sometimes I'll stop by your blog and today I'm so glad I did. What great inspiration! I'm thinking I just found what the FHE lesson is on tonight;).

Baileys in CT

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Thank you Paul for your thoughts. And thank you Joni for those winter pictures of the horse.

I'm guilty of being an escape artist on the couch and hiding in my cave. Monday was President's day and Susan was out helping a mother at the hospital whose new baby died, taking food to a shut-in disabled person, and painting the inside of a house of a couple that just moved out of our ward. I marvel at the spirit serving others brings into our home. Friends are treasures that make life rich. Without effort to reach out there are many who remain very lonely and sad. I'm joining you, especially with people at my work, in sitting down with them and getting to know them rather than just passing by them on the way to complete another task. The friends we make are the treasures we keep.

Love you so very much.

Dad

Jenny Moore said...

Those are great thoughts...we all need to step out of our comfort zone and do more for others...I think it can even start in your own family and in your ward with your calling and visiting and home teaching.

Joni, the pictures as always are wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I'll be excited to hear about those new people you're going to meet and uplift! You'll be doing that your whole lives because that is the kind of people that you are!
Love,
Melecia

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,