Friday, August 20, 2010

A new experience

A street in Bangalore
This is a seating area in the hotel lobby

Traveling to new places is a huge blessing in my life I will always be greatful for. I'm sitting in my hotel room in India, having just woken up from a 22 hour plane ride to get here, and the one thing I want to do is check the blogs to see what family and friends are doing. Its funny how not fun traveling is when you are doing it all alone, and how much I miss my girls when I think about how they are on the other side of the world right now.

Every time I travel I realize how much I take for granted what a blessing it is to live in the US. To not have to use a bottle of water to brush my teeth, or to not have to avoid most foods for fear of getting sick. So...I'm drinking a coke and eating a power bar with Animal Planet on in the background, looking out the 19th story window at a place I never imagined I'd see.

This morning at 2am, after one of the scariest taxi rides of my life, I made it to the hotel. I couldn't believe the poverty I could see along the way. It wasn't just a couple of areas, it was almost the entire 45 minute drive from the airport. Most of the buildings are various shades of concrete, and look like they've been around for a long time. It seems not many places have electricity, or they are just really good about turning out all the lights and street lights in most villages. The hotel was a stark contrast, it is brand new and is surrounded by gates and security guards with fuzzy green hats.

When I got out of the taxi a white and gold turbin was placed on my head, a blue, silk scarf was put around my neck, and some guy three stories above was dropping flower pedals down on me as I walked in. I must have had 4 different people helping to carry 2 bags. The turbin actually hurt to wear on my huge noggin but I didn't want to take it off in front of the staff. It was very gracious of them, and their service was great, but the funny thing is I didn't like all of the attention. Come to think of it I was able to fly first class to get here too, but I was almost embarrassed by it. I waited to board the plane with everyone else instead of getting on first because it just didn't feel right. Not sure why that is, but I've never been comfortable being treated like royalty when other people just like me don't get such treatment.

I'm excited for the week ahead, we have some plans to go a couple places as a group including spending half a day at one of the local schools to talk with the kids, and visit a local temple. I wish I could share pictures and share the experience with all of you, but this will have to do for now. Maybe I'll get up the courage to go walk around this morning, its either that or watch the hotel staff sweep dust off the grass.

8 comments:

Moore Family said...

wow, what a stark difference between the haves and the have nots. Isn't it crazy that you're satying at a place where you're treated like royalty and all around you is poverty. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Glen

Moore Family said...

wow, what a stark difference between the haves and the have nots. Isn't it crazy that you're satying at a place where you're treated like royalty and all around you is poverty. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Glen

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Sounds like an interesting adventure. We miss you and your cute family a lot. Sounds like quite a different place. I am so grateful to live where we do and you are right about taking so much for granted! We are truly blessed!

Have fun!!

Susan

Anonymous said...

That's so cool to be able to see part of India. I'm glad you are the kind of person who is aware of others around you and that you don't feel better than the other people around you. We want to see more pics!

Melecia

Maude said...

Wow! What a great experience for you, Paul. Thanks for sharing some of it with us, and I'm sure we'll all anticipate more. As your Mom, I'm so happy you're having such experiences, but also very grateful you see more than the glitz of the wealthy and can relate to all aspects of your experience. You've always been able to remember the "common touch," and that will continue to take you far.

Again, thanks for sharing. Be safe, and we love you.
Maude

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Hi Paul: India is famous for its caste system;..it represents poverty or wealth to the extreme. It is fun to watch you develop your character as you have multiple experiences traveling in this old world of ours. Yes, you are able to "walk with kings and not lose the common touch." We are very proud of you and look forward to your return. Your psychotic dog is waiting for you too. What an adventure she has been to all of us.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Did she poop in the house?

-Melecia

Paul and Joni said...

I MISS YOU PAUL. HURRY HOME! Love you love you love you.

Joni