Every once in a while I look around at what I have and I can't believe I arrived to where I am today. I was thinking for just a minute today while I was sitting in church how I would love to have a 2 year old that lays quietly on my shoulder and cuddles with me during church like the little girl 3 rows in front of us. But then I look down at the beautiful little 2 year old I have...even as she screams and dumps a bag full of Kix on the ground...and I feel I am one lucky guy.
It surprises me how often I feel like I don't have the answers to the simplest of parenting problems, I may be doing a horrible job, but I love our little family and I wouldn't want it any other way than we have it right now.
Today one of those things happened that I just wish everyone could see. Ellie decided to crawl under the bench and explore at church, she had never done it before so I wanted to see where this one went. When she crawled out of view I fully expected to see her pop up on the next row, but that didn't happen. What proceeded next was a slow moving "wave" like you'd see at a football game, only we were in church and most of the congregation was half asleep. I knew exactly where Ellie was because you could see the same reaction, row by row, of people moving and looking at the surprise crawling between their legs at 100 mph. Someone finally grabbed her 6 rows in front of us, by this time I was laughing so hard I was red in the face. It only made matters worse when everyone decided to pass her back on top of the pews row after row. It was a spectacle made into an even bigger spectacle with our trophy being handed to us after it was all through, with nothing but a huge goofy grin on her face.
So here we are, not knowing what we are doing, with another one on the way. I can't help but think that God has a sense of humor, and that he will happily send us another one just like Ellie...for now all I can say is...I hope so.
We find out on Tuesday the sex of the "thing" that is making Joni eat a jar full of pickles in one sitting. I don't understand how people can wait the whole 9 months before finding out, it really doesn't make sense to me but everyone is different. It's kind of like saying you will wait to open your Christmas presents in July...to each his own.
Sunday, February 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
That was another one of your prize blogs, Paul. My laughter turned into a roar as you described the church members passing Ellie back from six rows forward to you in front of God and everybody. How descriptive! How wonderful! Your acceptance and love of this little live wire is very tender and touches your pappy's widdo heart. We can't wait to hear whether the next act is a boy or girl. Keep writing.
Love,Dad
If you ever get the parenting gig figured out let us know. We are still in the trial and error stage after almost 15 years of children.
If your experience is anything like ours you can rest assured that each child will be completely unlike their siblings (or any other child on earth) and that there is no such thing as a comfort zone. Something to look forward to I guess. :)
As you talked about your church experience I was reminded of a similar one of my own with a 18 month old Emmy running up the isle of another ward (not mine) at full tilt with Dad running behind to gather her. She stopped, turned around and yelled "Dad....I'm freaking out!"
Don't worry there will be more. Enjoy. It all goes too fast.
I thought I posted my name on the one above...oh well.
Great blog, Paul! I can just picture the entire scene.
I'm sure you are both doing an awesome job of parenting - - -because you love her so much! Someone once said, "The only trouble with parenting is that by the time you are really experienced and skilled, you don't need that experience and skill anymore!" So true! In case you didn't know, we've all been there and felt just the way you do - - no matter what we may say to the contrary!!! (Remember the time you boys took out the entire end display of a grocery aisle?)
Can't wait to hear about "the thing's" gender. Exciting! But it's not like waiting until July to open Christmas presents; it's like waiting until CHRISTMAS to open Christmas presents, silly!
Love you all lots - - and vote that you're both awesome parents!
xoxox
Maude
I love that picture at the top of the blog and your sentiments, and the crazy Ellie story. I hope you have a mellow yellow boy next, but whatever you get it will be born into a great little family!
Love,
Melecia
Post a Comment