When I was a kid I remember hating church...maybe I only remember the times that I can recall throwing a fit, or never wanting to give a talk in primary (mom you'll have to enlighten me on that one), but I don't remember being the good little kid that loved to go to primary. I still remember Bro. Hand when I was in the CTR class because when I didn't pay attention he would squeeze my hand REALLY hard until I about cried. Another teacher in a different year came to our house to speak with my parents about how disruptive I was in class, I don't remember being that way but I guess I had to have been pretty bad. Then there was the traumitizing baby sitter and pre-school stories that Joel and I still remember to this day. I can never tell that story enough when our family left us for Mexico and the lazy babysitters made us eat water with our cereal, and Joel thought he was going to die of an ear infection and the babysitter told him to quit crying. In pre-school, Mrs. Jenkins asked me what kind of sandwich I wanted for lunch and of course I wanted PBJ like all of the other kids, but she said I had to eat a bologna sandwich or I couldn't go play outside with the other kids. I remember being strong enough to sit there at the table until Mrs. Jenkins left the kitchen...I threw the sandwich away and bolted upstairs to hide under the sink until my mom came to pick me up. Every time we went to her house to eat after that I refused to eat anything she made...she probably thought I was a spoiled little brat but I remember feeling triumphant that I stood my ground.
So maybe now you ask whats the point of bringing up all of the childhood trauma? Yesterday Joni and I were called to teach in the primary. We are actually pretty excited about it, but I can't help but wonder if God has a sense of humor and this is payback time. We don't know what age we will teach yet, but we will definately be sailing on uncharted waters this time. God really does have a sense of humor because after all those years of picky eating, not only did I serve a mission in which I had to try almost everything imaginable, but I married a dietician. So whatever it is that you think you may be getting away with in your life right now, just remember that someday karma will come back to get you...I have been watching way too many "My Name is Earl" rereuns lately. In the end, who knows, it may be the best calling I have ever had, at least I know marrying a dietician has worked out pretty good so far.
Monday, October 30, 2006
karma
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
Primary! Awesome! It will be fun to see what age you get, and hear some of the stories. (Hmmm, maybe it will indeed be payback time!) :) I went to Primary Sunday and had a ball. Singing time is especially fun in Primary - - if you have a good, energetic leader. I'm sure I'll never hear the end of how severely you and Joel suffered under the hands of the "babysitters from hell," and I DO remember Sister Jenkins telling me I spoiled you about food when I came to pick you up. She was way on the other end of the "eat your dinner" spectrum, however, even though I liked her a lot. I guess these experiences all went together to make you ready for the Primary experience. Have a ball!
I don't remember your getting into trouble in Primary, or that we were visited to correct your horrible behavior. I remember keenly that my parents were called to Douglas Elementary on a regular basis to talk about "Michael talking too much, and teasing the girls." I do remember that you would only eat cheese sandwiches, and that you astounded us with what you ate while you were in Chile. I think most bad things pass if you don't dwell on them. I hope your parents don't have to sit in hell forhaving "babysitters from hell" who neglected you. I feel sufficiently guilty after hearing you repeat this about 50 times. May the dietician from heaven continue to bless your life with abundant good food and care.
Love, Dad
It's funny that you remember your primary teachers so vividly. I can remember some of mine too, but mostly the ones that I was scared of. Like one named Sister Duley. She made us listen. I have a feeling you will be one that the kids will hang all over and just fall in love with. Joni on the other hand....just kidding. You guys will have a blast at it. You can always get good stories out of little kids.
Primary is the BEST! I so loved serving in the primary. If you think Carter says funny things just you wait (if you teach younger kids) I could tell you many family secrets are shared by children in Primary. So the moral of this story is give your children no information that they can pass on to their teachers.
You will be great teachers!
I only had one primary teacher that I remember vividly. I think it was because she talked really loud and had giant cleavage that scared me.
I'm excited about our calling though - I know it will be entertaining!
JONI
I only had one primary teacher that I remember vividly. I think it was because she talked really loud and had giant cleavage that scared me.
I'm excited about our calling though - I know it will be entertaining!
JONI
big cleavage huh? I guess that could be intimidating
I remember when you wrote from your mission, Paul, that you ate some pretty nasty things. One that I remember was a soup you had that was really nothing more than some boiling water with an animal heart bobbing around in it!! Does Joni feed you that? j/k
One of Ryan's favorites from his mission was Tongue Tacos--no kidding!!
Todd wrote today that he ate at a member ladies house and it was really good. Sike (his word)! It was a stew--pig ear stew. I guess he's really a missionary now.
I don't remember my primary teachers but I do remember this one Seminary teacher I had. He was pretty cool except he gave pop quizzes. What was up with that?
You two are going to do great with those kids. They are going to love you so much. Just remember the blog a few days ago on respect. Once they know you are for real and that you mean business (mixed with lots of fun) they will be putty in your hands!!! Have fun!
Susan
I don't remember any of my primary teachers either, except one. Can't remember her by name, but she was smoking hot! I think she taught either the 5 or 6 year-olds. She'd give me a hug when I did something right. Yeow!!
I still remember how much you (Glen) as a crush on that teacher. You would always come out of primary blushing and excited. Funny how these blogs spur memories.
I am learing more and more about "karma" with Lexi! Just the other night before bed, she tried every trick in the book to stay up. "I want a marshmallow", "I need a book", "We need to give Annie a kiss"...I couldn't help but laugh as I told Josh, "I used to do this exact thing!" Josh laughed and we continued on with this little cherade until we finally got her to bed! Have fun teaching!
I bet if I had a hot primary teacher I would have loved primary too, and the same goes for preschool teachers and babysitters etc etc, I think a hot girl can solve every little kids problems. Lucky Gloin.
Good entry Paul! I didn't know all that stuff about you and primary, but I know you and Joni are going to be the coolest primary teachers ever! You'll learn all the songs, and be totally exhausted after church and go home & nap for hours! I remember sister Jenkins being really strict about everything. I had the opposite problem - I went to a friends house and had six HUGE pancakes and asked for more. THe mother was totally mortified and informed mom about it. I remember to this day that I ate 6, and that is more than a little girl should eat. Primary? I remember trying SO hard to be reverent so I could get a reverence ribbon. ALso Iris Bunker our chorister - so earnest and so off key, and I think I made her life miserable because I talked and laughed while she was trying to get us to sing.
I wish you guys could teach our kids!
Love,
Melecia
Iris Bunker! I do remember her in Primary! What she didn't have in pitch, she made up for with enthusiasm! Who was the cute teacher, Paul?
Post a Comment