Sunday, November 19, 2006

Early thanksgiving




We had a pretty eventful week the last couple of days. Joni and I drove to Houston to have our Thanksgiving a little early with some friends and I wanted to visit Texas A&M in order to get a better feel for the place before I apply to graduate school. Joni likes taking pictures in the car, I can't help but wonder what people were thinking when flashes kept coming out of the windows. The Texas sky really is beautiful, I don't know if it is the humidity that makes a difference but there are literally layers and layers of colors. It made me think of that retro painter guy with the afro because he always painted the sky like that but I always remember thinking he painted his own little make believe-land or something, not real sunsets. I was very impressed with Texas A&M, and I was treated very good. They had two graduate students waiting for me when we got there to take us on a tour of the place and answer all of my questions, then they led me to a professor and advisor's office to learn more. All in all it was a very positive experience, the campus is ENORMOUS, I met some professors and students, and I am excited about applying. I don't want to get my hopes too high in case I don't get in, but I think we did the right thing by checking things out first.

Of course we thought this sign was hilarious. We were trying to figure out how they came up with the name...any ideas?

The food came out delicious, Joni and Amanda made thier first Thanksgiving meal ever and did an awesome job. They made everything look like it was right out of a magazine and it tasted even better.


I took my turn at trying to make the little whopper turkeys, they came out a little retarded...as was the little zip lock bag I was using.

It really felt like Thanksgiving, football was on all day, and we were able to spend time with friends. The feast included citrus herb turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, deviled eggs, candied yams, stuffing, green beans, rolls, cranberry sauce, and of course...pumpkin pie. It was fun to see friends and experience a little bit of Houston, and it was great to be back home in Dallas. Joni went at it again with the camera in the car because the Dallas skyline downtown was awesome as we drove in, but the pictures didn't come out. No animals or people were harmed in the picture taking process...except the turkey of course. Texas is starting to feel a bit more like home for us...at least for now...I guess thats what a thanksgiving feast will do for you wherever you are.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Origins of Kickapoo Road:

Back in the days of traveling carnivals and circuses, this road led to a circus' home base. There they trained the animals to do all the special tricks and stunts. This particular road was where the elephants were marched up and down training them to walk in a straight line, holding each other's tails. Well is was said that "A man can't walk down that road and not kick a poo." And that's how the road got its name.

Anonymous said...

I heard the name came quickly from the Dallas Cowboys beating Indianopolis today. It was a sign of prophecy. What a great Thanksgiving you had with friends! The turkey and trimmings looked awesome. Love, Dad

Maude said...

Sounds like you had a great time - -and the turkeys didn't look so retarded. I got mine made last night, too. I think Kickapoo was named in honor of the drink Jim stirs up every Thanksgiving - - -his secret formula called "Kickapoo Joy Juice." -- - Really, that is what he calls it, and he will not divulge the recipe or its source. Hmmmm, maybe he found it on Kickapoo Road on one of his many trips to Houston! Oh, by the way, Jim likes Houston and surrounding area better than Dallas, also. Glad you got your "punkin pie." :)

Anonymous said...

Those pictures of the food look like they were taken out of the Martha Stewart magazine. WOW! Looks yummy. Good job Joni, and you say you can't cook! (maybe just not pie crust)!
That is cool that you liked the Texas A&M, kinda! We would love to have you back closer!
Happy Thanksgiving

Anonymous said...

I already feel fat and its not even thanksgiving yet. I am looking forward to (maybe) taking things easy and some football but not all the eating, even though I love it.
So what are you guys going to do for the actual Thanksgiving day now that you've done the dinner thing?

Anonymous said...

I already feel fat and its not even thanksgiving yet. I am looking forward to (maybe) taking things easy and some football but not all the eating, even though I love it.
So what are you guys going to do for the actual Thanksgiving day now that you've done the dinner thing?

Paul and Joni said...

We are going to watch movies and football all day and mooch dinner off a freind of mine whose parents are flying in to cook dinner. So we actually kinda get Thanksgiving twice! I found out today that I actually get Thursday off my internship so I'm super excited about that - they said it was up to the dietitian we are with this week whether we come in to work or not. I got a merciful preceptor this week so I'm off the hook, but I was the only intern who worked memorial day. Oh well, thanksgiving is more important anyways. Yay for movies and football and food!!!

JONI

Melecia said...

Good idea to take pictures of food! I'll take a picture of everyone after the feast taking naps. We are going to a friend's home too. We are getting off easy this year - just bringing a few pies and side dishes. I think I'll try to make those chocolate turkeys too! I can picture you taking pictures from inside the car - funny! I'm glad Texas is getting a little under your skin. It's fun to try new places!
Have a great Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Paul - you look like you're about to kill someone in that picture.

Nice food presentation. If it tastes half as good as it looks, you had yourselves a tasty feast.

I'm actually training my stomach for Thanksgiving. Heavy eating every other day for the week before, with light meals Tuesday and Wednesday. You have to maximize belly capacity for mass amounts of turkey, taters and gravy. Every Thanksgiving, I gorge myself so hard that I have no choice but to lie on the floor belly up for a few hours before I can mobilize. Meanwhile, football gives me something to look at until I get high on tryptophan and lose consciousness. Thanksgiving rules!

Paul and Joni said...

lol, I can TOTALLY picture that

Maude said...

Glen, Jim calls that lying on the floor stuffed position "Splayed out like a big fat fish." I like it. Remember that on Thanksgiving. Happy driving - - -maybe you could get a book on tape - - -since you don't share tastes in music, maybe you can agree on a book - - -or play "I spy with my little eye" all the way! :) Drive safe!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,