Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Healthy and Happy

This week I am at a dialysis center and let me tell you - I am so thankful for my health and the health of my family! Honestly, I have never seen so much blood in my life. Even though I knew the process it was quit shocking to see people with huge tubes (about the size of my finger) pumping blood from their artery into a machine. Most patients have no remaining kidney function, thus making no urine, thus not clearing ANY waste or fluid from their systems.

They have to be at the center 3-4 times each week for 4 hour sessions. Since no fluid is removed via urine the average water weight gain between visits (in 2 days) is 4-7 pounds! Talk about uncomfortable. They have to completely overhaul their diet and take a dozen medications that can cost ~$2,000 each per month. Not to mention the co-morbidities most patients have such as diabetes, HIV, hypertention, congestive heart failure... you name it - the list goes on.


I'm sure I will continue to feel thankful for my health as my next rotations are at gastric bypass, diabetes, cardiovascular rehab, trauma/ICU, diabetes and liver transplant. I am learning a lot about not only the human body, but about people. I've decided that every patient needs (and more importantly, deserves) a person who see's them as a person, not a disease. It's amazing to see how much a genuine smile and a little listening can make someones day. Especially patients who beginning to feel like a number in the system.

Anyways... I just wanted to say that I am definately counting my blessings. I never want to take my health for granted again. Love you all!



JONI

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joni,
Thanks for the post, and thanks for the listening ear you gave me yesterday. It really puts things in perspective when all I have to deal with is an annoying boss!

Love ya!
Andrea

Maude said...

Thanks so much, Joni. We appreciate the insights. Jim's wife, Marcia, had a kidney transplant and then kidney failure due to diabetes, and underwent dialysis, so he was especially appreciative of your kindness and depth in seeing them as "real people." You're awesome to serve these people as you do. The "pickles" story will always make me smile when I think of you - - -so typical of your ability to bring sunshine with the "small" things.

I don't envy your next rotation at all, but you'll ace it, as usual. :)

Maude said...

P. S. That masked man looks strangely familiar. Do you know him, Joni? :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, what was that thing beside your blog? Your description of the trauma your patients are going through is really something. How wonderful you are to see them as people with feelings, and who need an understanding listener. You have a marvelous way about you with cheerfulness and kindness. Be careful of "vicarous trauma." When you are around that very much it begins to get to you. Be sure you have some outlets for yourself, and have nuturing friends. I don't know if that "thing" in the picture can help, but I suspect he can be a real pal. Love you. Mike/Dad

Melecia said...

Joni -
I didn't know what dialysis patients have to go through - I've always heard about it and you painted a vivid picture. I remember from extended hospital stays with the kidshow welcome a kind word or smile of support can be. The hospital is kind of a "bubble" world in itself - sealing patients off from the world. I've got one for you. What do I do about my children who are little balls of gas and flatulance - all the time, but especially at dinner? This especially comes from Becca. She is either burping or fluffing ALL the time. I am looking at her diet, but it could also be because everyone laughs!
Love Ya!

Maude said...

Hey, Joni - - -you're goig to ready for anything and everything after this internship! Melecia's question got me thinking - - - maybe you could do a Q and A column - - -like Abby, except for healthy diet issues? That might be very fun. Are you still most interested in the geriatric side of your work, or has your internship changed your mind?

Paul and Joni said...

Hey Meleesh, I don't think Joni is the one to give advice about flatulance problems. I will tell you though, that some people are blessed with a special gift to fart and burp without having smells...Joni falls under that category. Some people were just born with more gas problems than others because she is definately unique compared to her family. Sometimes when I am in the other room, I think she is talking to me because her gas sounds like mumbled questions. Before we were married I had a gas discussion with her roomates and how I was going to marry someone who didn't have a problem...it all makes sense now when they looked at me funny. I think if Becca doesn't smell, then let her go for it and enjoy the moment. If she stinks, lock her in a well ventilated room...either way, from my expert point of view, she is gassy for life.

Paul and Joni said...

Well at least I found a husband who loves me for my gassy self! It really is true that some people really do just have more gas. It is also true that different foods (dairy, vegetables, beans) cause gas for different people – so it’s probably just a matter of seeing as Becca gets older if there are specific problem foods that she can avoid to help the situation.

:)

JONI

Paul and Joni said...

I'm sure you've tried this, but Beano has an enzyme (that our bodies don't have) that breaks down carbohydrates a little better. My mom used to make me take it - it really helps. But who do we think we are kidding? Farts are the funniest thing ever so where's the motivation to stop? - at least until her first date (which I must admit didn't stop me)
JONI

Paul and Joni said...

lol, beano Joni? I had no idea

Anonymous said...

OK. Does anyone else feel like they stumbled onto a private Paul and Joni discussion here on the less talked about parts of their marital bliss? I’m not sure if I’m supposed to turn away or blush or whistle or what?!

Anyway, glad things are going swimmingly for you guys.

Have a good one.

Paul and Joni said...

Yes, I am still interested in geriatrics but the internship has opened up other areas of interest as well such as Bone Marrow Transplant and Outpatient counseling. Honestly though, I would take a job anywhere as long as it pays. It will be weird to have a paycheck again for working.

JONI

Maude said...

Yes, paychecks, after many years of the $$$ going OUT is a very exciting thing. You're almost there, JonI! :)

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,