Sunday, January 21, 2007

Renewed

Another interesting day at church today, I think Isaac (the severely autistic kid) didn't take his meds today. It is truly a workout to keep track of him. I am getting pretty good practice with my reflexes, every time he jumps up to run away I grab him before he takes two steps and sit him back down. I am learning that you can only use one or two words to tell him what to do, but I still need to figure out the spitting and flailing arms thing. My most used words with him are "sit, reverent, sing, quiet, bad, color and Jesus" Every time I use one of them he likes to repeat it as loud as he can. I have found that when I sing the primary song in his ear he settles down long enough to try and repeat me, then he goes crazy when it is done. I wasn't the only one with troubles today, Joni and I found out that Hannah( the mentally handicapped girl in the wheelchair) is learning to walk (I never knew she could). Her mom let her out of her chair and she turned into a little monkey crawling and walking everywhere with Joni following her every move. Believe it or not we survived, Joni taught the lesson while avoiding getting her eye poked out by a marker from Isaac, and I kept the kid from sticking his fingers in the socket and harming anyone else. The funny thing is when we are done and on our way home, we feel like we need to disinfect our clothes and hands from all of the craziness and spit and boogers and whatever else we came into contact with. Isaac thought it was hilarious that he had horrible gas today too. I guess I will never understand what parents go through when raising a kid until we have some of our own. In the mean time this calling is great birth control.
Joni and I have decided on Texas A&M. When we talked about the positives and negatives it was pretty one sided except for the desire to be near everyone. Hopefully someday soon we will be in a position to choose to be closer to everyone, but until then we feel it is the smartest decision for us and most importantly the right one.
Getting accepted into A&M has been a huge boost to my confidence. I admit it is a partially a pride thing, but I have found a renewed energy to be better on all fronts. Joni thinks that we somehow switched places because I asked her if she wanted to go to the mall last night to spend some Christmas money, and I have wanted to workout more often. I bought a couple of ties and a new shirt, even though it took me almost an hour to talk myself into buying them. I couldn't help but laugh because I get totally lost in the mall, and Joni knows her way around even though she hardly goes there. But then we go outside and Joni doesn't know north from south but I know what I am doing on the roads. Hope everyone is doing well, these blogs are a great way to feel closer to everyone, keep 'em coming.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great blog, Paul! After your teaching ordeal you will be prepared to do anything. When you have your own children, I promise it will be better. The decision to go to A & M sounds great. It fits you well. I'm proud too. We look forward to that part of our touring trip. Maybe we better wear overalls and old sanitized paint shirts when we visit your class. You and Joni make a great shopping team. I'm glad you got your directions straight. Texas is a big place where you can get lost. Love, Dad

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Your callings sound crazy!! I can't believe what they make you put up with. You two are certainly earning a lot of "celestial" points. I'm sure you do an excellent job with those kids even though it probably doesn't seem like it to you. I completely understand about the sanitizing thing!!! Hang in there. I'm not sure I want to visit your class, but we'll see!!

Congrats on the decision to go to A&M and on surviving the trip to the mall.

Susan

Maude said...

The decision is made, and as you say, that is empowering. We also will miss you being closer, but you made the decision for your future and future family - - -for all the right reasons. It's hard for you to be far from family - - and it's hard for us not to see you more often, but we totally support your decision. I'm sure you'll have wonderful experiences there, and meet great friends.

Wow - -It's a sad coincidence that both those special needs kids are in the same class. How do the other children do with the situation? When we had special needs students at school, every effort was made to (a) not place more than one in a class and (b) have an aide for just that individual. I'm sure you're doing great, and learning lots (including sanitation! :) ) - -but it's okay to enlist help if it's needed - - for the sake of the other children in the class.

I can identify, Joni, with getting lost in cities. I'm great as long as I have landscape things (mountains, river, etc.) to use as reference points, but cities are a whole different deal.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had some good advice for you with those kids... but I don't. That sounds terrible. I'll bet the Bishop has to frequently rotate people in and out of that calling because they can't take it. I know I'd go batty!

Congratulations on the Texas A&M decision. Sounds like an excellent program and I'm sure you'll have some really good opportunities coming out of school.

Melecia said...

Hey Paul & Joni! Another Sunday - another trip to the psyche ward - I hear you! You guys are saints - I mean it! You have every reason to feel lifted up by that Texas A&M acceptance, and going shopping/working out is a great idea! I dragged Rhett suit shopping after our date on friday. His suit is 16 plus years old. He was dreading it, but the more he tried on suits, the more psyched he was! JC Penney to the rescue! Glad you got some new clothes. We're proud of you both!
-Melecia

Joel said...

That was interesting to read about the autistic boy in your class. I have read and heard (on radio talk programs) a lot about autism lately. They have an inability to "read minds" as most people do. For example, I can gain a lot of information about what you say from your tone of voice, facial expressions, and the context of the conversation. Most (all?) autistic people don't have that availability. Yesterday I was listening to a mother of an autistic boy describe how she has learned to interact with him. Most (all?) autistic people enjoy focusing on objects. This mother would watch him react to different visual cues and would start talking to him about that. Like. . .what color is that light switch? Do you like it? It sounds pretty wieid but it is definately one of the symptoms of autism that help peole understand how differently the dissability causes people to react in social interactions.

Joel said...

Glad to hear about your A&M decision, we'll have to come visit you some time.

Paul and Joni said...

You should give me some tips on that a little more in depth some time soon, and you are definately invited anytime.

Joel said...

That's about all I know, and after I wrote it I was thinking that I hope I'm not wrong.

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,