I wish I could make this picture bigger so the facial expressions could do the pic more justice. This is in my all time, top 5 favorite photos as of this week. Joni's cousin Shon, who is now on a mission in Detroit, is holding a saw in his hand when they went "Clark Griswald" on a forest to cut down thier Christmas tree. Shon has a devilish look on his face and Andrea is completely unaware of the whole kodak moment to be. I laughed for at least 5 minutes straight and even peed a little bit...not in my pants. It is now a screen saver on our computer. My eyes are so tired right now I don't even know why I am blogging right now, but for some reason I just feel like it. I played guitar a little bit tonight for the first time in a LONG time, and my fingers are hurting now. You have to build up callusses on your fingers in order to play, and I definately don't have any of those right now, so it kinda hurts. Tonight a woman started screaming outside of our apartment, the kind of blood curdling scream that makes you know something is wrong. I went outside after some investigation from the window, and there were a ton of people outside who obviously heard the same thing. Turns out a woman was attacked right when she got out of her car and a man ran away with her purse. She was smart enough to start screaming right away, but the guy got away. We live in a gated community with security but there is a railroad track right by our house and I think someone hopped a fence. Not to sound negative or anything, but with my job getting more and more not fun, and Joni's internship getting longer by the day, along with the crime all around us, we want to leave Dallas as soon as time allows. I don't feel scared for myself but I constantly worry about Joni. We have a pretty good system between us to make sure she is safe, and she is a smart girl. It is important to be aware of surroundings no matter where you are. We only carry what we need in our wallets now.
Sunday was a day that I think was meant for us at church, so I am glad we were there to hear the messages. The talks were on teaching and raising special needs children. Despite the hardships, we have come to love all the kids in our class. Hannah, the little girl in the wheel chair, adores Joni. Every time we see her she gives us a big hug and gets all jumpy and excited. One of the kids parents came to us to thank us for being her son's teachers and that he always talked about what we did in class, which felt really good because we always wondered if we were getting anywhere with them. I had fun with Isaac too, the other autistic child, I find that sitting with him on the ground and giving him one on one attention keeps him more settled down. I taped his two pinky's together as a joke and he thought it was the funniest thing ever. Isn't it funny sometimes how things can seem so depressing and messed up, then when you find whatever it is that makes you happy it changes everything. I think everyone needs a place to "get away" in thier mind. Mine invloves being with kids, reading the latest sports updates, playing guitar, going to the movies, church, working out, milkshakes, laughing, and playing games. Some music and 80 degree days make me feel pretty good too. I think I would be embarassed if someone listened to some of the music that pumps me up, Rocky never fails man.
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Good times, Bad times
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Pauls is definately a good representation of what he likes! I think I'll make my own list.
- Great music
- The way my body/lungs feel after a good hard run
- Sunny mornings
- Onion rings (my latest "every once in a while" junk food kick)
- When I'm sleeping in bed and Paul gives me a kiss on his way out
- Headlines (Jay Leno)
- Sunday afternoons
- 1 red + 1 yellow skittle
You always write good blogs, Paul. Wish I could do as well! I was happy to hear about your Sunday School successes; I think about you and your every Sunday, and knew you were knocking yourselves out to do your callings. It's great to hear about the growth there has been there - - -and the positive feedback. That helps a lot!
I think the time in Dallas has definitely been a "growing time" for you both, but am excited for your move to Texas A&M. The big "D" has a lot to offer in some respects, but has not always been kind to good folks. I was remembering yesterday, the anniversary of Kennedy's assassination, that Dallas has an ugly side as well.
A couple of "feel good" things for me:
- Talking to my children and grandchildren - -and seeing them.
- Long, long walks outside, especially in the spring and the fall, or along the Oregon Coast
- Setting the alarm 10 minutes early, then hitting "snooze" and just lying there sleepy and warm, thinking.
- a fresh lime drink with crushed ice
- Good music
- A good historical novel or historical non-fiction
- Crossword puzzles
- Grapenuts in my "M" cup. :)
Love you. I'll be watching for everyone's lists. Fun idea.
P. S. The photo is awesome.
Funny, just a few days ago I was relating the story to the kids about the boys trying to get ourselves psyched up to do flips off the tramp and onto the ground while listening to music. The only song that finally pushed us over the edge was “The Eye of the Tiger” from Rocky 3.
Keep safe you two. We think about you.
For what it’s worth:
- Laying on the floor playing with kids.
- The smell of the air before a storm.
- Having my head/ears rubbed by a loved one.
- Fresh cut lawn – the smell in my nose and feel in my toes.
- Fixing or building things.
- Making someone feel better about themselves.
- Sore muscles.
- Butterscotch Tapioca.
- The sound of little feet coming to the bedroom on a Saturday morning.
- Watching the world.
I'm glad that you two are being careful. It's sounds like you live in a dangerous area and you can never be too careful!! Always check in your back seats before you get in your car!!
I'm also glad that your Sunday School class is starting to be a rewarding experience for you. I knew you'd be great in there. You two are amazing people and so good with kids!! You are going to be such great parents some day.
some of my favorite things:
-watching the snow coming down with a fire in the fireplace while drinking hot chocolate
-when the crocuses and daffodils start popping their heads through the winter ground (soon I hope!)
-hearing children belly laughing
-getting my car washed when it's sooo dirty from the snowy weather
-the bright blue Colorado sky
-reading fun blogs
-going out to eat
-getting my head, back, and feet rubbed
-Sunday afternoon naps
-singing
Scary, looks like blood on the saw.
I love Rocky too!! Eye of the tiger? Yes! I knew you guys would eventually triumph in your class - and who wouldn't love you guys?! I'm psyched for you!
The little things that make us happy?
BBC period films/Jane Austen
rain - water & fountains
driving in the country
laughing
libraries
the smell of dirt & grass
children
writing blogs
Melecia
You and Joni have got to stop feeding those kids sugar.
The kids are a good get away from work and work is a good get away from the kids. Both can be stressful at times. Hobbies like working on the house are good therapy.
I never thought I'd say it, but running has become a good stress reliever for me. It gets rid of my nervous energy and I like the natural high I get after. Listening to some MP3's helps keep me going. No Rocky yet, but I think running to the Rocky 4 soundtrack would be pretty good.
I'm getting back into running/biking again for the year. I love the natural high too, but it really sucks when you are starting out.
Joel, Glen and I are going to run in a 5K on March 17th in the capital/memory grove area. You should come run it with us!
That's a great picture!!
I thought I'd add some of my favorites to!!
-A good book by the fire
-Steve's warm legs when I have cold feet
-Making butterscotch tapioca
-All the kids in bed on a lazy Sat. morning
-Spring time
It's been good to get back to reading the blogs after a week or so of intense focusing on writing and my church calling. I love how these blogs are touching each other's lives. It's easy to see now why you were called to teach the sunday school class. I'm glad you are planning for your safety. It gets to be a dangerous world our there. My favorite things at this time:
-being in shape to play racquetball and lift weights
-watching Hannah excell in her singing performances
-being involved with Susan's new church calling
-loving to work at the family history library
-enjoying good movies
- having dinner daily with the kids, and enjoying their conversation
-giving back, neck, foot rubs, etc.
-planning family trips
Love, Dad
Post a Comment