Friday, February 9, 2007

Valentines and girls

I remember the good old days in elementary school when valentines day came around, and everyone gave out valentines to each other. I would always sneak in the candy hearts that had secret messages written on them...URAQT or I like you for that one girl...and "you are nice" for that other girl. It was cool because you could pick out the superman valentines cards because you liked them, not because you knew the girl would like it. When I got older and didn't care as much I stopped looking at the messages on the candy hearts and it got me in trouble a couple of times. I remember in the first grade I would eat glue to impress girls, and I was even brave enough to sit three of my crushes down at the same time during play time to tell them that I liked them all, but I liked them in a particular order...each for thier own reasons. I don't know if they liked me back though because I was the kid who wore the same pair of corduroy's for the entire year. It's funny how every grade there is a new crush, and I can remember thier full names and everything, but I couldn't tell you anything about fourth grade and up, it was all a blur. I think it is easy for kids to have so many crushes because almost all kids are cute in thier own way, but then we all hit this ugly stage at sometime in our lives and some of us never recover. I guess I am not talking about Valentines anymore but who ever said blogs had to make sense?
Joni was the cutest little kid EVER, not kidding, she was the curly haired fro blond girl with enough energy to ware any adult down. She claims to have had an ugly stage in junior high, but it served her well because all of the guys in her school that made fun of her in junior high wanted to ask her out in high school, and she promised herself she would never go out with any one of them...and she didn't. That's probably the coolest thing a girl can do when she looks "good" to the world, is deny those who didn't see who she really was. I am constantly reminded of a video I saw when Joni was a little kid and she had a bug in her hand, just curiously inspecting it, when her mom said, "Joni, don't eat that" and Joni replied, "but I want to", and stuffed it in her mouth. She hasn't changed much when it comes to life as an adult.
I am experiencing writers block and I can't write anymore right now...writer's block is wierd. That makes me mad because I was going somewhere with all of this, but the wheels were just spinning too fast. I think I need to learn to type faster so I don't keep doing this in blogs.

6 comments:

Maude said...

I remember going with you to buy Valentines, and you're right on. You always chose the ones you loved when you were young, and the candy hearts were a necessity. I had a Valentine trauma in 4th grade, which is with me still, but it's too long to write here. Joni's still a cutie - - I can imagine she was a darling little girl, who always LOOKED innocent! :)

Joel said...

Ah yeah, valentines day in elementary. I remember people jugded who was the coolest by who had the most valentines. I had a girlfriend in 4th grad. We never talked to each other after this became formal. I went to the mall with mom close to valentine's day, and snuck off while she was shopping. I bought my girlfriend a cheap necklace with a huge silver (hollow cardboard, I think)heart. I gave it to her, and she returned it when she broke up with me. I remember the extent of my heartbreak was wondering if this meant I was less popular. Ah, young love. . .or whatever.

Anonymous said...

Paul. I LOVE your blogs! Valentines is my second favorite special day next to Christmas. On Valentines Day this year Eric and I decided we will bring a candy flower to Hannah and Susan, take them out to dinner, open doors, stand to seat them, etc. to treat them very special. "Love is what makes the world go 'round." I can't imagine Joni ever being anything but adorable. Love, Dad

Melecia said...

Paul - I love the visual image of you in your cool courds sitting those girls down and making them all feel special by telling them "I like you for this reason". Ah - the nice girl valentine candies versus the "YRAQT". Madison and I laughed all the way through your blog! You were the cutest little super spud, and I can only imagine Joni was a cute/independent little kid (LOVE the bug story Joni) It's good to know Joni isn't going to do somehting she doesn't want to do - including eating a bug!
The kids want "happy feet" or "night at the museum" valentine cards.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've seen a picture of Joni when she was little, but I figure she'd be a cute kid. Post a picture.

In 2nd grade, April put a 2 foot long pencil in my tote tray for Valentines Day. I spent the rest of the day trying to awkwardly write with that thing in order to show my appreciation and undivided affection for her. If I remember right, I got April one of those BIG Hershey kisses, a gift that had some major undertones for a 7 year old. We were officially "going out" now, which meant that we told our friend that we were "going out" and if we were really daring, we'd hold hands at the after school movie. Most likely, we'd just tell our friends that we were going out and send each other a couple of notes. Pretty exciting.

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,