Thursday, April 19, 2007

Nascar Experience

Tilt your head to get the full effect of this picture, Joni's face says it all as she is dressed up in two sweatshirts, a blanket and a pair of oversized gloves while trying to eat kettle corn. She was wearing sandals and ended up putting the gloves on her feet.



Last week my boss gave me two tickets to the O'reilly 300 (nascar race), I probably never would have purchased tickets but I always wanted to experience nascar, since we are in Texas I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the "real deal". The stadium is ENORMOUS, holding a little over 200,000 people, about the size of 2 nfl football games and three nba basketball games together. As you can imagine parking was rediculous, I laughed because after the first mile that we were walking towards the stadium, there was a porta potty station for people to rest and go to the bathroom. You wouldn't believe the number of motor homes, barbeques, flags, colors, and beer there was as we walked in. The weather had been nice until the night before when we experienced some of the craziest rain and hail I have ever seen, along with tornado warnings and strong winds. It made for some freakishly cold weather at the race that we were not prepared for. The experience itself was very cool, but I would probably not do it again. Walking towards the stadium the cars sounded like a mixture of angry bees and jet fighters. Once inside the stadium, there was a constant drone noise with the occasional "zuff, zuff zuff" of cars passing by and the whole place seemed to shake continuously. We did bring ear plugs which helped a lot, but not as much as we would have hoped. The true Nascar fan has a headset with a microphone, and an extension cord hooked up to both of his buddies next to him so they could talk, forming a chain of headsets and people connected at the head. Good idea, seeing as how I had to jam my nose into Joni's head and scream in her ear to have a conversation, but they looked funnier than we did. As far as the race goes it was very hard to follow. On tv the camera follows the leader, but in the stadium cars are constantly going by and you only have about 2 seconds to recognize the numbers on the cars before they pass at 170 mph. The people weren't as crazy as I thought they would be, could have been the weather, or just that the cars passing along with all of the noise puts everyone in a trance like state of mind. In the end we can say we have been to a Nascar race. Since I got my new driver's license this week too, I guess you could say I am officially a Texan.



Joni is currently looking for a job. There are a lot of openings around the College Station area but none in College Station so far. For now we will just be happy that she can find one close enough to not have to commute an hour each way every day. We might not even be able to live in College Station but we'll see how that goes. She had an interview that went really well in Humble (just north of Houston) this week, but that is still pretty far away. There are a lot of cool little towns in between Houston and College Station that we may end up living in if that is the case. We'll let you know where we end up going, we are a little bit nervous but confident that Joni's internship will land her a good job. The interview in Humble was wierd because the guy told her about the hospital, and then acted as if he was done and Joni said, "Is there anything you would like to know about me?" and he responded, "sure, but I know you are experienced because you are a Baylor intern." I guess a good name goes a long ways here. Cut the small talk, let's get to the nitty gritty.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures! I never have understood the whole NASCAR thing. My next door neighbor is a ravid fan and watches it all the time, but I don't get the point. He likes it because there are no "time outs". I can't imagine what 200,000 people in a stadium looks like... definitely a once in a lifetime experience. You guys are becoming bonified Texans.

Maude said...

I was thinking about the interview yesterday, so thanks for the update. I'm so confident about Joni - - -really feel that because of the combination of who she is and her training, she'll have several offers. Joni, we're very proud of you, and Paul, and know you'll have great experiences there.

The NASCAR day sounds crazy. I guess your description does it for me - -I'm glad you had the opportunity, but I think it won't make my list of "100 things I want to do before I die." Way to embrace the Texas experience, you two!

Joel said...

Have you ever heard the Lyle Lovitt song "Your not from Texas"? Your comment reminded me of that. If you guys haven't let me know. I'll send you the CD "Lyle Lovitt Live in Texas", it should be in your collection anyway.
Did you guys actually stay for the whole thing. I think it would be cool to experience but I don't know that I would be into staying the whole time.
Good job Joni, hopefully we'll both find jobs soon!

Joel said...

My spelling sucked in that post.

Paul and Joni said...

I don't recall the words to that song. I've heard "If your gonna live in Texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band", "god blessed Texas", "deep in the heart of...","texas tornado blowin me away again", "I'm going to the big D and don't mean Dallas", to name a few. We left with 70 laps to go because we didn't really care who won, we finally got 1/2 mile away from the stadium by the time the race was over. I decided people choose to like a certain driver because of the sponser they represent, or because of thier colors. Could someone really say, "I love that Earnhardt guy because of how smooth he always takes turn 3."

Joel said...

It goes "that's right, you're not from texas, texas wants you anyway". I'll send you the CD if you email me your address. I'm not even into country music, but this CD is awesome. Now that I mention it, maybe it's not truely country and that's why I like it.
Did you cheer for the Lowe's car or were you hoping it would crash?

Paul and Joni said...

We were in the "Lowes" section, we cheered for the car, if you can call what we did cheering.

Anonymous said...

Great way to embrace the Texan culture!!
I'm with others and don't understand how Nascar is a sport!! It seems odd but there is a huge following.
Good luck with your interiews Joni.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Paul. Ever since I read your comment, I can't get that song out of my head. "My little Texas tornado... blowing me away again."

Anonymous said...

Joni looks freezing. I love how the cars sounded like angry bees & "zut zut zut". You guys are really cool, and we love following the "young married people on their excellent adventure". I know Joni will find a good job. I like that country song "This is Austin, and I still love you" - very sweet!

Anonymous said...

That was me - Melecia

Anonymous said...

I liked the picture of well prepared Joni, the Baylor woman. My experience with NASCAR was while we were living in NY. The scouts went to a big race, my first, in Erie, PA. The ear plugs helped, and we stayed for the WHOLE THING! I couldn't see why so many people were excited either. It turned out to be a "night from hell" when the driver, our scout master, hit a deer and nearly totalled his new vehicle.

Of course, everything is big in Texas, and you are being great with your adventures. Good luck in finding the right job in the right place. Love, Dad

Maude said...

Okay, Paul and Joni - -we've complimented you for "embracing" Dallas and surroundings - -but please don't take it too far. Case in point: In today's paper, a judge in Dallas had a Dallas man bring his donkey, Buddy, to court to prove he wasn't a loud, aggressive animal who disturbed the neighbors! Buddy walked in quietly and stared at the jury. The dispute was settled! :)