Tuesday, May 29, 2007

almost there

Its been a rainy three weeks straight here, with no sign of stopping. I feel like we live in Seattle with all of the moisture. This is highly unusual for this part of the country this time of year, but I enjoy it. Maybe now people won't grumble so much about having drought problems. It's interesting to live in a place where tornado watches and flash floods are common occurances too. Maybe Dallas is just sad we are leaving...nah. Speaking of leaving, once you have dates to look forward to, time goes by SO SLOWLY. I don't want to sound negative, but when I get to work and look up at the neon sign beaming "Lowes" at five o'clock in the morning, I just have to take a deep breath and realize it will all be over soon. I actually went shopping at Home Depot yesterday, mainly just to check things out, but it always amazes me how similar the two places are, right down to the same product from the same vendors. Which makes me think about rivalries, and why people need to identify with certain things in life. They teach us at Lowes that we are so much better, as I am sure Home Depot does as well with thier employees, but we're basically the same. Think about sports, the players are not always good role models, and they are always changing teams, and yet we identify ourselves with a team to the point we get mad if they lose, or we feel they were cheated. Religion, politics, social class, where you are from...whatever it is people are always trying to find an identity, and find an enemy. I think the rain is messing me up, I don't even know why I started going off on this tangent. No wonder Joni always laughs when she asks me what I am thinking, and my reply ends up taking 5 minutes as I end up talking about gummy bears and satelite dishes. I think I think way too much, maybe that's why I have to be organized when it comes to daily activities and apponitments.


Tomorrow is Joni's last day, I can't believe it. I can't wait for her graduation on Wednesday, she has been working really hard on a fun little slide show, and the interns have planned everything from what we are eating, to what kind of spoons we will be eating with. It will be held on the 17th floor of the hospital, overlooking downtown Dallas. Plus her mom, sister, and aunt are coming. It is always nice to have family, even if we are crammed in our one bedroom apt. We love having visitors and showing family what our life is like here.

I am amazed to see how all of the interns have been "Jonified". She has such a magnetic personality, when I look at pictures of the things they do together, I can see the influence she has left on everyone, and the craziness she brings out in the most introverted people. I see her as the biggest piece of the puzzle when it comes to bringing people together. The interns are from India, all the way to China, and all over the U.S, from big cities to little towns, but they have become inseperable. It makes me wonder how different things might have been if she was never there. Its really cool to think that what you do can have such a huge influence on people, and it has been really cool for me to see everyone change from an outsiders perspective. Kind of makes you want to change the world one person at a time.

We are moving June 22nd, I hired outside help this time, I'm kind of tired of asking people I hardly know to help, and I think we take advantage too often of members of the church and thier help, so we are hiring one guy to help me for a couple of hours, it'll only end up costing 60 bucks, and I 'll feel better about not taking advantage of friends...then again, we have some friends helping us move in, so never mind. This will be our fifth move in three years of marraige, and it doesn't appear that will change anytime soon.

8 comments:

Maude said...

Fun picture, and interesting blog, Paul It's fun to watch the "thought chain" you get going! Jim says I do the same thing, starting with one idea and "chaining" it with seemingly unrelated ideas and somehow making them all fit! My teacher friends used to call it the "global thinking" approach - - -bring all ideas together, see the similarities, fit them together. Works for me! :)

Joni's love of fun truly is infectious. I'm sure she's made life-long friends there - - and to think she was fearful of going!!

Glad about your move. As you say, when you have a goal in mind, it's tough to mark time. We can identify right now, with the closings, etc. You're almost there! Yippee! Enjoy the moments!

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of moves! That is so cool that one of Joni's gifts is bringing people together and making them feel wanted and happy. That really IS a talent! I hope her final internship days and your final days at LOEWS go quickly! I liked what you said about being on "teams" or sides but basically being the same. How do you think of these things, and write them so proficiently? Good job! I'll bet the weather is hot and steamy. Hiring moving help is a good idea, and it sounds like it won't be too much money - good job!
Love,
Melecia

Anonymous said...

Joni has her own entourage. Holy smoke! Kendi is kind of like Joni that way. She makes friends much easier than I do. It's nice to be married to someone like that.

I wouldn't feel too bad about asking people to help you move. As you know, I organize lots of moves but I don't hear complaints from people helping out, even when sometimes it seems like we just moved them in.

Joel said...

Moving sucks dude. I'm glad I have a job that allows me to settle in a bit, I'm not rubbing it in. I'm tired of feeling like most of my time is spent doing dumb little things to settle in. That's funny that Joni has a posse.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever met Joni's posses? It always seems like Joni finds the coolest people to be friends with too, either that or she makes them cool somehow.
We are exicted to see what the next couple of years has in store for you guys. It's going to be an exiting time.
I was putting the kids photo album books together this weekend and I was noticing not only were you and Joni actually at the hospital when I had Carter but you were also a part of 3 of his birthdays. He is one lucky kid!
We wish you closer soon!
Good job Joni!

Anonymous said...

Another fun refreshing blog! Thanks, Paul. I do the same thing with Susan with what seem to me to be rambling thoughts. They do at some time seem to connect.

Joni's fun loving ways are, indeed, very contageous. We always smile when we think of you guys.

I agree about Lowes and Home Depot. We go to both depending on which direction we're doing other shopping. Longmont has changed radically the last few years. Next comes grandstand movie theatres.

Moving isn't so bad when you have people you have served with helping you. It brings you closer. I think the feeling that you are imposing on people when you need help moving is pretty common. I always get a good feeling when I help others move. Wish we were nearer so we could help. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Congrats on graduation, Joni! I can say I am a product of being jonified as Paul said. Being friends with Joni just brings out the best in you! I wish we could live closer! Just the other day my mom reminded me of the time we had the shopping cart and I wheeled you out to their car and Joni was wearing our "Rupert" mask! It was hilarious! Good times...

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,