Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day


I wanted so bad to post a video I have of dad but I can't get it to work. It's the kind of video that I could watch every night before going to bed and not be able to sleep because I am giggling...that's right, I said giggle. My hand comes in from the right of the screen with a pink spray bottle and all you can see is me squeezing the trigger a bunch of times...my dad is in the background about ten feet away, head tilted back and mouth open...sleeping of course. The water hits his face and the rest is priceless. I was thinking that I don't know many other people who have as many funny stories they could tell about thier dad. Maybe its because he is so easy to tease, or just a clutzy, goofy guy. I have made it a goal of mine whenever I am with him to see him laugh so hard he starts sounding like a guinea pig, shrinks up his noise...if that's possible, gets red in the face and bobbles his head in delight. Some laughs are incredibly contagious, and make you laugh even more, my dad has one of those. It's during those moments that people say the funniest things because thier true colors are shining the brightest, my dad's insights are usually unintentional dirty innuendos. The last really good laugh I remember having with him we were in New York eating spaghetti and he made the comment that I lost my noodle, then all hell broke loose...guess you had to be there. You ever notice how funny it is to watch people laugh? We all got a kick out of Joni, because the harder she laughs, the wider she opens her mouth. She doesn't make any noise after the initial belly roar, then the tears come, probably because she is so sad that she can't close her mighty mouth while laughing. I could go off on a huge tangent with that one, but I must focus this time.
After all of the poking fun and joking around, I really admire my dad for the person he is, he has been raising kids for the past thirty nine years and he is still going strong. Thats a lot of bald jokes, freak fan accidents, financial stress, 4am lawn mowings, punches in the gut, bananas in the cereal, joy and sadness, and whatever else it is that kids do. Hope you have a great fathers day dad, and Happy father's day to Brent, Jim, and all my bros out there.

9 comments:

Maude said...

Nicely done, Paul. And Happy Father's Day, Mike.

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Paul, you really have a way with words. Thanks for that great tribute to your dad. He is a great guy and after thirty-nine years of kids, it's hard to believe he can still get into the whole dad thing, but he does and he does a good job of it too!

I remember when we first went to see "What About Bob." He was laughing so hard that I seriously was thinking he was going to die of a heart attack or something!! It was pretty intense. He has a lot of passion about life. I wish I had more of it!! Joni has one of the greatest laughs of all time, too. I remember clearly the whole noodle incident and it was pretty funny just watching Mike and Joni laugh. May they always keep laughing!!

Happy Father's Day to All!
Susan

FMMPAPA said...

Another masterpiece blog, Powie. I also love to talk to you. Thanks for the fun call. Sorry I had to cut it off with another call. It's so fun getting all those calls from 11 kids, and Eggy Baby (Lars). Having Susan's parents here doubled the calls, so I appreciate you hung in and that and got through. The last one came at 10:30 PM, and I wasn't even asleep. Of course, now I have phobias when falling asleep that some delinquent soul is going to squirt me in the face. The only place I can sleep in safety is at church. Hannah helps keep the snoring down.

Memories of the uncontrollable laughing makes me giggle too. Joni's reaction was soooo funny! It's rewarding being both clumsy and able to take teasing; that's the fun of it all. Yesterday we went to the Longmont Cemetery to find Chuck Brady's parent's marker. I commented I want my tombstone epitaph to state "Master at Puns." Then Susan had to add, "Yes, Master of Puns Only He Likes." Oh well, you can't please them all.

In Priesthood meeting yesterday I made righteous comments about the topic of "integrity." When we came to the part about how we teach our kids integrity, I had to confess sometimes I wasn't a very good example with my driving or inappropriate comments. Those seem to be the things my kids remember. Still having you love me in spite of all my mistakes makes life worth living. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Nice blog and tribute to Dad Paul. I agree that Dad is one of those people that when you're around him, it won't be long before you find yourself laughing. He's a walking, endless supply of comedy.

Joel said...

Happy Father's Day Dad.

Moore Family said...

That was a nice tribute to your very funny dad!

Anonymous said...

I love dad's uncontrollable laughing too - it just bubbles up and goes in a rhythm with a crecendo at the peak like ha ha ha HAAAAAAAA ha ha ha. I remember this past year when we all went to a chinese buffet. He and Becca were trading funny insults, "well you are a _______ without a _______' Becca said without thinking, "well you are a lamp without a lightbulb". We all just broke down in the middle of the restaurant. I'm glad I have a even a small amount of that great humor!
Love,
Melecia

Joel said...

That is classic from Becca. I'm going to start using it.

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,