Monday, June 11, 2007

putting things off

I don't even know if I have anything to write about today. I have officially sat down at the computer 12 times since getting home from work, I have picked up my guitar twice and played one song, called Joni twice-spoke to her once, and browsed espn.com and my bank account until I couldn't stand it anymore...I am a huge nerd...and I realize I am an expert at putting things off because I don't want to do them. I am pretty good at keeping a schedule, making phone calls, submitting important things on time etc. But I just have a horrible time doing things that take longer than 20 minutes to complete. I know I will feel better tomorrow if it is done, but I would rather walk around in circles, or flip through our 15 channels a hundred times, than finish something that I am supposed to do. Maybe its the nature of what I have to do...write a skills matrix, an outline or brainstorm...of a professional resume and turn it in to my career advisor at Texas A&M by the end of the week. Sometimes it is fun to see your lifetime achievements all down on one piece of paper, but going through the process is not.

I think that is why it is so hard for me to read a book, unless I am sitting by a pool, but even then I get distracted by my belly button filled with water (from the pool). Short stories are the best, ones that you can read while on the toilet, then be done. Thats why I love blogs too I guess, too bad I don't have internet in the bathroom. I have decided that brushing your teeth while in the shower is pretty fun, unless you use selsun blue, and you brush for too long...you get the idea...but it is really refreshing when you are done, you get the super wash as apposed to the regular wash.

I talked to mom yesterday about how much it costs to stud a colt, she's a wierdo. She told me that people pay $300,000 to have thier horses "hook up" in order to breed a champion with certain stallions. I think she has more time than me to learn random things. Any suggestions on how to focus? I think I could have been halfway done by now, but I think I'll try to find a new song to learn on the guitar. I used to love playing guitar outside, but when it's 99 degrees with the heat index, and my feet stick to my sandals the second I walk outside, I'll choose to sing hippie songs barefoot inside any day.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Question: Was that a picture for joni? Like saying, "look what your missing out on while your gone." Because it's hot!!!
Are you suppose to be packing too because I hate packing and I tend to put that off as much as I can. One nice thing about packing and moving is that at least your more organized with your new move, at least that is a good way to look at it for me.
It's funny to hear you voice things that you actually do, like the water from your belly button thing. Many of us do those kind of things on a daily basis but we won't publically spill our dirty laundry like you. Your fun to be around because your like that though....maybe I should start publically announcing my hidden habits and such, or maybe not!

Paul and Joni said...

Please do announce your hidden habits, thats funny about the picture because I was making a goofy face, and Joni always complains when I don't put pictures in my blogs very often. I thought it was an expression of how I feel...strange and alone. I am not planning on packing until the day before move time.

Anonymous said...

Paul I have to say that your putting things off that aren't "fun" or that someone is telling you you have to do is quite normal unless you and I are the only abnormal ones. (Leave it alone boys...)
If you're really bored I could box up and fedex 3 girls to you...i could overnight them...that would give you plenty to do!!!

Paul and Joni said...

That would be pretty fun, as long as you pay the shipping.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the feeling of being kind of lost when my life gets too serious, emotional, or there are too many long tasks that have to be accomplished. It helps me to do a daily "to do" list, get most of it done (including some hard stuff) and then pat myself on the back for getting some things, no matter how small, completed. It's funny how little things mean a lot, like watching the birds swarm around pecking at our bird feeder, or watching the little garden grow. I'll take the simple life, thank you. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Wow...$300,000 for a horse to get his jollies. That is some pimpin' owner.

So does that make the horse sire a 'manwhorse'?

Maude said...

Loved your blog, Paul! I think you do some of your best writing when you are just "letting it flow," and getting those random thoughts and actions into words. The openness is so "Paul," and always has been. - - - And the photo, too. You're a pretty cute guy, you know? (I'm the Mom, so I won't go with Kendi's "hot," but you really are a handsome guy.

You might have mentioned,silly boy, before you wrote about A. P. Indy's stud fee, that we were discussing the winner of the Belmont, and that her sire was A. P. Indy, the top stallion in the world right now, and that he and HIS sire, Seattle Slew had both won the Belmont also. Your mother IS weird, but didn't just launch into a conversation about horses and stud fees at random!! (Well - - -at least not quite!) Love ya! Joni will soon be home!

Anonymous said...

Here's me reading this post/comments:

"What a freak"(Paul)
"What a weirdo" (Kendi)
"I'll take your kids" (Jen)
"Dads are insightful" (Mike)
" " (because I'm snorting and hyperventalating, Steve)

My family's not nearly this entertaining.
Erin

Paul and Joni said...

good one stevie...I want to see Erin snort and hyperventilate, and since we are on the subject of horses I can't get Joel's horse impersonation out of my head, does he do that to you when you snort and hyperventilate? Because that is what I am picturing

Anonymous said...

Paul - I was also struck with the cuteness of the picture - wow - I'm related to this guy? I constantly have to pluck my brows so I don't look like a carbon copy of Glen. I haven't seen my belly button in years. I'm assuming it's still there. When Rhett and I were first married and he went away and I missed him, I smelled his shirts. Now I just smile and wave.I've lost somthing along the way! I also think 300k is a bit much for a stud fee. What happened to the good old days where two horses just met up in a field and there you had it? You have "Moore ADHD" - here's what you do: Set the timer for 10 minutes and then work hard for that time. When the buzzer rings, go do something fun for five, and so on. So much for my insights.
We do our best work at the last minute, don't we?
Love,
Melecia

Paul and Joni said...

you just got two good belly laughs from me on that one, I don't know if the fun timer would work though

Anonymous said...

Great comment, Melecia! I really laughed. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Your random thoughts crack me up Paul. I think it's a good idea to make a skills matrix. I mean, you've got to make a matrix if you've got lots of skills. I don't like reading books by the pool anymore. Come to think of it, I don't like having my shirt off much anymore either. Bess said it best yesterday when we were playing at the pool and she points at my hairy, out-of-shape chest and says "EEEEWWW!" Time to work out.

Paul and Joni said...

lol, I agree with the shirt off thing

Paul and Joni said...

for me I mean