Here are some pics of our new apartment, it's twice the size of our last place
We painted two of the walls a light olive green color, really makes it more like a home
We are finally settled down a bit, it was a crazy move. I don't think I will use U-Haul ever again. We picked up our truck on Saturday at some random place downtown, then we had to drive to the other side of town (Dallas is a big town by the way) to pick up the tow dolly for my truck. As we were driving away Joni about tore the roof off of the truck because a cockroach was crawling on my foot in the cab. Then when we pulled into Bryan three hours later, I noticed the guy didn't attach my trailer right, and the straps that hold down the wheels had come undone, I don't know how my truck didn't come off the trailer...I can't even imagine the disaster that could have caused. As we pulled up to our apartment there was no one there to open our apartment for us, and when we finally did get inside two hours later, we found our electricity hadn't been turned on. I felt completely drained, and shafted by a lot of people. It didn't help either when we pulled up that we were being stared at because we were the only white people within 2 square miles, and everyone was outside with thier bottles of alchohol in brown bags...and I do mean everyone was outside. When Joni finally got upset I just about couldn't take anymore, I honeslty felt like hunkering over and crying...which is wierd for me to think that if you know me. But that is just about when things started changing for the better. My new elder's quorum president showed up with his wife to meet us at just the right time. Turns out Joni's uncle called our new bishop for us to get moving help without telling us. He in turn called three guys to come help us unload before it got dark. Just so happens that one of the guys works for the utility company and got everything straightened out for us so we had power. We were moved in within an hour, all drenched because of the humidity. I didn't think I could sweat out of my eyeballs but now I think otherwise. Our neighbors are all VERY nice. We talked to some people as we were moving in and joked around a lot with them. Every time we walk in and out of the door to go somewhere, there is someone outside we talk to and they are always friendly. When we came home from church on Sunday one lady asked us to pray for her because she didn't go to church that day as she was gulping down a bottle of beer, it was pretty funny. Our new ward is pretty cool, the testimonies in sacrament meeting just blew me away. We have already met a few couples our age that we are becoming friends with. We went to Transformers yesterday with some couples after the 4th of July breakfast, which was a pretty sweet show. Then we cooked hamburgers and fries and played games with another couple until late last night.
I was talking with Joel the other day about small Texas towns and how they are still racially divided. Its really wierd because College Station is so nice and everything seems "perfect", then Bryan is like the ugly stepsister. All the well to do white people live in College Station, and everyone else lives in Bryan. Our experience here has been pretty good so far, but we do notice the racial divide. We live really close to Lake Bryan, we went there the other day and caught the last glimpse of the sun setting on the lake, watching people jetski and a live band was playing in the background. I thought it was a nice touch to our feelings that everything is going to be okay while we are here.

11 comments:
Welcome to Bryan, Paul and Joni! That is a great story of divine providence. We had a similiar experience when we moved to NY. It seems like everything has to go bad when something wonderful is about to happen. I am soooo pleased that you found friends quickly and the neighbors don't have to be so bad after all. Your apartment looks cozy and enough room for a professional lady and her graduate student HR man. This experience you're having is building a good foundation for more blessings that will surely come in your precious lives. Love, Dad
Sounds like a really crazy experience. It seems like those experiences suck to be in but are nice to look back at. I'm sure you guys will gain perspective for your whole lives. Your apartment looks great, though I laughed that you painted the walls first thing. I guess it's easier than having to move the furniture around once you are settled in. Good luck!
Actually Joni decided to paint after I moved all the furniture in place, and since we had a little time this week...why not paint?
Wow! I'm so glad things took a sharp turn for the better, Paul and Joni! After talking to you at the end of that first day, I felt really bad for you, and very helpless; but I also heard in your voice the ability to see the positives and to be grateful, especially for kind, unselfish, and helpful people. Your ward sounds awesome. It's neat to find friends with so much in common (i.e., the school experience, etc.), and I'm sure you'll make life-long friends while there.
Your apartment looks terrific. You might get lost with all that room! :) Can't believe how fast you two get things "together" and homey. You're in our prayers.
Nice story. I'm glad that Joni's uncle called the EQ President to help you out. I wish I would have thought of that - very thoughtful idea. I'm glad you're feeling a little more at home. I imagine that can be a pretty overwhelming feeling - moving to a new place where everything seems to be going wrong. You guys are troopers for hanging in there.
I just Googled Bryan, TX. That's pretty close to College Station. Look forward to seeing you guys later this Winter for the Bronco game.
Your apartment looks really great! Good choice of paint color and it looks like you've been there for a long time instead of just a few days. You two are amazing! Sounds like you are already making some really nice friends. That's wonderful--you are both so friendly and outgoing, I think that people are just attracted to you. Sorry you got off to a rough start! Moving can make even the strongest person break down into tears!!
Love you,
Susan
Welcome home. The entire family stood around the computer as I read your blog. Rhett said, "How come they have such nice furniture? Where did they get that nice furniture? How did they get everything clean so fast? That must have been strange finding yourselves two little marshmallows in a sea of hot chocolate, and I know you will make lots of friends and get some more soul - brother! I probably sound racist - sorry! Anyway, Virginia is still a bit segregated too. We have some gang members living in our neighborhood, so we say we're living in the "hood". I'm really glad too that you had some help to meet you there, that your ward is really strong, and that you'll have some friends there. Also glad your U-haul stayed together! Thanks for your positive blog!
from Melecia
Nice marshmallow comment, it took me a minute to get it. All of our furniture was either given to us, or a DI treasure, or we bought it with our wedding $$$. Thanks to Glen and Kendi for the table, and dad for all of the random furniture they left behind when going to New York and the couch. Thanks to Joni's mom for the bed as our wedding present, we are pretty lucky I guess.
I'm glad that everything turned out well for you! I remember moving to Boise and how long it took to get from Salt Lake to Boise because of the truck that wasn't working and when we pulled in Alyssa was screaming and Steve took us through "trailerville" to get to mom's house and at that point I think I lost it but everything has turned out okay...sometimes you have to go through the junk to notice how good things really are and how much we are really looked out for!
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工,
酒店寒假打工,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工,
酒店經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
Post a Comment