Tuesday, July 31, 2007

These floaties on the lake were the best things EVER!

Look at all those mountains in the background, it is very green though.

I love this picture, our friends 3 year old jumped on the air mattress that Joni and thier baby were peacefully laying on, I had just pulled the air plug, and I got the baby in mid air glee before I dropped the camera and caught her, and Joni's face in the background shows how much fun she is having. You can see a pillow in the background floating in mid air too.
It is so nice to have people we know be so close now. Our friends from Houston came up to visit with thier two kids, and we had a good old time playing games and swimming at Lake Bryan. That lake is sooooo warm, it is wierd. It was warmer than a swimming pool, then the further you went out you could find cool spots, but only about 2 feet below the surface. After swimming for a while the warm water started to feel like warm soup, so to really cool off we had to dive down a few feet every couple of minutes. We are definately going to have to rent some jet skis or a ski boat with some friends soon, because it really is a cool lake, and it was the first time we were able to spend some fun time outdoors. I imagine when school starts it will be crazy out there though, but then again this place is clear out in the Texas countryside all by itself, and the only reason we knew about it is because we live on the same road that goes out to it. I shouldn't say this until I actually do it, but for some reason I have really wanted to get into triatholon shape, not to compete, but just to be in tip top shape. I figure if I can find a way to ride my bike to the lake, then swim when I get there, and ride back, that could be some good exercise. Joni runs over 10 miles a day now, so I feel like I have to do something with myself to keep up. We'll see, I'll let you know how it goes...or if it goes.
I have been spending about 12 hours a day on this online course, it is a beast, but it will all be over in about a week. It would help if I had a professor who was more helpful, if I ask him what effect the debt ratio will have on market risk, he'll explain to me how a chicken lays an egg. It is frustrating to say the least.
Did you know they make goggles for dogs that ride in the back of trucks? Joni got a picture on her cell phone of a dog wearing goggles to keep the wind out of his eyes...or something to that affect, it was pretty funny. I don't think the owner liked us driving alongside him taking pictures, but the moment was too good to pass up.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a good time out at the like. There is nothing like cooling off in the heat the some nice not too cold water.
10 Miles Joni! Oh my, I thought my 6 was good. Ah...I guess it's always good to up your distance at some time right. I can't ever imagine myself running that far though.
Good for you for trying to get in shape Paul. You should do it.
I promised myself that after our trip to MT I would come home and have better foods in our house. Let's see how long that lasts!

Anonymous said...

Mollie thinks dog goggles are for whimps. Your lake reminds me of when we you and I were swimming in that lake at Cape Cod. It was so warm it was uncomfortable. I'm glad you are having fun, getting in shape, and have some good friends already. When does school start? I hope you find some supportive professors from the get go. Love from Dad

Paul and Joni said...

I don't really run over 10 miles every day - just about 3 times a week. I mostly run 5-8 daily. Just to clarify... not that it matters... at all. :) We did have a lot of fun this weekend. Everyone needs to come visit!

JONI

Maude said...

What a fun time - - although I agree that warm water just isn't as refreshing and fun as cool. Is it deep enough for boats, etc.? I'm glad you have friends close.

Good for you, Paul, for wanting to get buff and fit! Biking is such great exercise. You would be in awesome shape if you did all three.

Joni, I'm impressed with your distance. Yahoo! How do you do that in the humidity!?!? As you know, I walk the hills around here every night - - -don't know how far - -just briskly walk for an hour. It's fun and refreshing - - -and occasionally exciting. (Last night I saw 4 white-tail deer, and tonight I missed a skunk by about 8 feet. He had his little tail up and was making the warning noises, so I took a detour!)

Correspondance courses are truly the worst. I empathize with you - - -especially the subject you're taking. UGH. Bad enough in a live class. We're cheering for you. One more week. Go Paul!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Joni. You gave birth to a huge, fully dressed baby... at least that's what it looks like from the picture.

That's weird about the warm lake with cold spots. Usually, I'm in a cold lake with a warm spot around my immediate person. Go figure.

Holy smokes, that's a lot of running. My idea of a triathalon would be run 5 miles, swim a 1/2 mile and then dig a grave so that I can lay down in it and die.

Anonymous said...

Funny, Glen. (Dad)

Anonymous said...

That's funny Glen. That's all I'm going to write for now because I'm convinced that Paul's blog hates me and will erase this anyway.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, I just remembered that it posts my stuff at the BOTTOM. I thought I was being blacklisted when I just wasn't scrolling down.

Paul and Joni said...

I have a comedian AND a retard for brothers...lucky me.

Paul and Joni said...

Funny you should ask (maude) how I do running in the humidity... I currently have a 2 inch scab on my inner thigh from my shorts rubbing my leg (ran outside Sat morning). I noticed it was hurting but not enough to stop. Must have been the humidity plus the heat and friction that did it. I usually run on the indoor track so it's not a problem! Owee.

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Another great blog, Paul. I'm impressed with your narrative. I can barely think up a couple of lines to describe a picture! You are awesome. You really need to consider becoming a writer of some sort!! That lake looks like fun! We went to my sister Kathy's home lsat summer in Branson, MO, and it is on a lake and the water was at least 90 degrees!! No kidding and it wasn't refreshing, but it was still really fun. The air was 105 so I guess it cooled us off 15 degrees!! Good luck with the exercise! Go Joni!

Love,
Susan

Anonymous said...

That's cool that you live so close to a lake - even if it is warm. Maybe you can go water ski on Christmas day! dogs & goggles - how funny! They have everything else for dogs, why not goggles? That birth comment from Glen is funny - that's how I saw it too! You guys know how to have fun!
Love,
Melecia