Down time is so wierd, everybody always wants to have it because they are working so hard and need a break, but then once you have it its not all you thought it would be...don't get me wrong though cause I ain't complainin. Its funny how people "retire", then just begin to do everything they have wanted to do, and they end up busier than ever...eh hem...mom, dad?
This is how nerdy I am. I am planning out my day tomorrow so that I am not bored and so that I feel like I am doing something positive. It goes a little something like this:
Wake up...whenever. Watch a little tv until I am hungry, hopefully a commercial will come on to help me know what to eat, thats the hardest part.
Then I browse a little on the blogs and e-mail, then on SI.com, I have this down to an art so I can know what the Broncos are doing every step of the way. Then I am working out, I'll make myself stay there for at least 2 hours. Okay, okay, I'm starting to bore myself. It's funny though how I hesitate every time Joni asks me what I did today because I don't want her to eat me because she is so busy right now. It reminds me of the time I rented the entire season of Smallville a couple of years ago while Joni was studying for finals. I felt really bad but there was nothing else to do while she studied into the night. You have to picture Joni's face as I began each new episode to the tune of the opening song. Funny how in those moments you know you are being the most cruel, you can't help but smirk a little bit...sorry Joni...he he. I have thought about getting a job for the next three weeks, but I am not the type of person who can quit a new job after two weeks, so can you see my dilemma? So I'll have to keep you updated on my progress, just in case you have nothing else to do, and you want to share some of my down time for yourself. What would you do if you had no worries, and all day to do whatever you want?
You ever notice how funny people look when they work out, or how rediculous working out seems? Who pays to lift stuff and run in place? The pioneers would think we are nuts. My little bike to the lake thing isn't working out because I have to pay five bucks every time I want to go into the lake, plus my tires would melt in this heat before I got there. I think the reason I want to be in shape is so I can have a channel to my belly button, because I think it is funny when stuff is in my belly button...like sweat, or Joni's skittles. I still think its funny that when I was the most tired today while running, Rocky was the one thing that kept me focused and going forward. If anyone wants to call or instant message at anytime, I'm game. Any suggestions? I'm game too.
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Down time
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
You're funny, Paul! I remember not many months ago, when you were working 10-hour days and had no time for ANYTHING - - -and you just finished your correspondance course yesterday. It's OKAY to take one day off for down time!
I do agree that when you suddenly have unstructured time on your hands, it's easy to kind of spin the wheels and not get as much done. I found that to be true right after retiring, before I picked up a couple hobbies and a couple of service project type things.
Suggestions? Get acquainted with the new town. Have you visited the library? Take a bike ride on a new street every day - -or make only right turns one day, etc. We talked about good books the other day. I've got a list of books I want to read and would be happy to share it with you, but your tastes may differ from mine. Your idea of working out is great, as the study mode has been a lot of sitting. Volunteer at the local food bank, or ask the Elder's quorum president what needs to be done. Learn a new song on the guitar every day, design a "dream house" . . . . . and so on. :) There's an idea or two.
I'm sure you'll figure it out. You only have 3 weeks, so have fun with it. You'll soon be burnin' the midnight oil again.
Love you both!
I've learned in my retirement to maintain balance. Balance the physical, spiritual, social, recreational, etc. Yes I'm busier than ever, there are so many projects to do and routines to follow. It isn't nerdy to make lists. There is more passion to life if what you put on the list are the things you WANT to do, not just HAVE to do. You can do both. I would add to your list going to the temple, and reading scriptures regularly It is uplifting. I'm so glad that it's easy to be a morning person because it is so stimulating to walk or bike in the outdoors just as the sun is about to come up. It isn't so hot, and it's quiet. I hope you will keep your belly button tight, your spirits bright, and do for yourself what is right. Do you like my poetry? Love, Dad
good advice guys, I especially like the only right turns thing...I'll probably end up on the wrong side of town, which is actually home I guess so thats okay.
One idea about the scriptures? Read them "differently" than you've done before. Like I just finished reading the 4 Gospels simultaneously - - -event by event and getting all 4 perspectives at the same time. It was awesome. There are lots of approaches; one might be just the ticket. :)
I've had some down time like that when I was between jobs, etc. I'd get really antsy and disappointed with myself if a day went by and I felt like I didn't do anything. Good measuring stick was how many shows I watched that day: Ricki Lake, Montel, Judge Judy, Oprah and Dr. Phil.
I like the list idea.
You work our for 2 hours a day? Holy moly! What the heck do you do for 2 hours? On weights, I do 20 mixed sets of 12-20 reps depending on the exercise and it takes like 30 mins. tops. Cardio takes a little longer but I don't lift and do cardio on the same days. You are dedicated.
I guess I kinda know what you mean about the "down time" with the family gone for a few weeks.
Other than work, so far I have filled mine with reading, hitting the library, gym, church stuff and a few movies. Kinda boring for sure.
I chuckled reading our parents advice about downtime. They are two highly motivated people! I agree that the pioneers would laugh out loud at the image of us on treadmills or stationary bikes. Maybe we can call you and you can talk with Madison. She hurt herself in field hockey again today and is recovering with three stiches in her eyelid. I'ts swollen shut - so it's either read Harry Potter out loud to her, or have her talk to Uncle Paul. I too am impressed that you stay for two hours at the gym. Spare time -
I lay face down spread eagle on our bed and moan "I'm so tired" over and over, or I clean something, or I read travel books, or cook something good - today it's something with zucchini. I play the piano, look at the blog,
I guess that's enough!
Have a great downtime!
How about flying out to DC?
Melecia
come on guys, don't make me feel like a Heman for going to the gym for two hours, it's only for now. I could never do that all the time. Besides, this gym has basketball and three swimming pools, one of which is outdoors and has a "lazy river" that goes around it, kind of fun.
I actually learned from Joel when he was a gung ho how good it is to run, swim or bike after lifting weights, because it burns the fat while building the muscle. Anyways, thats all I do, then shoot around a bit to keep my coordination up to par. Sorry about Madison's eye, I'll have to call while she is down sometime soon.
Somebody told me the same thing about weight lifting and cardio, except the other way around. Cardio first, then weights. Right now, I can't run much more than 30 minutes twice a week on the treadmill without my knees paying for it. Running on pavement is worse. Anyonee else have achy knees?
That's cause you are old.
I liked Melecia's idea of laying on the bed and moaning. Hannah does that when she's sore, like when returning from water skiing at Woodburys Wednesday...Ohhhhh, Daddy, please rub my back!! For "old" Glen, I'd suggest you try the Nordic poles and walk. They save knees, build your upper body, butt and legs and give cardio all the same time. You do have to put up with your family and friends teasing. And, Paul, please call poor Madison. Love, Dad
Dad's nordic track poles stop traffic and cause accidents - I'll tell ya! Our neighbors thought he was blind or handicapped. We got your message "Uncle Paul". Thanks for calling! We weren't in bed, dude I wish! We were up and out at 9 a.m. Love Ya!
Melecia
Glen, don't listen to dad about the poles. Your kids will never forgive you. The poles are awful and i suggest you keep them as far from yourself as possible!!!!
Hannah
You could come visit us Paul. We need some entertainment!?
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工,
酒店寒假打工,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工,
酒店經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
Post a Comment