Sunday, September 30, 2007

I am blogging today just because I am going through some typing withdrawls already. I have been working on a case study and typing my feelings about proper business practices in South Korea for the past few days, and I finished about an hour ago. I guess I feel like I am not done expressing myself...which is probably not a good sign because my professor told the class to ask "why" until you can't ask why any more when writing a paper. So now I feel everything I write down has to have an explanation. I love grad school. I was the worst test taker when it came to multiple choice and true false questions because I would always think there was something beyond what the question was really asking, when all the teacher wanted was a textbook definition. I love having the opportunity to explain things the way I see them working without worrying about getting an answer right or wrong. This is probably why I feel so laid back about school that its scaring me because I feel like I should be worrying more...which doesn't sound like I am laid back, but I sure feel like I am. We are taking on real projects with real companies, and figuring out why they were successful or not, it's pretty cool stuff. My classmates think I am retarded when I tell them how I feel about all of this, but everything I am learning just excites me.
Something else that excites me is this new straw we found called a "sipahh", just google it.
Probably the coolest invention ever. It is a straw with a filter in it that is filled with chocolate, strawberry or other flavors, and you stick it in a regular glass of milk. If you have a chocolate sipahh the milk will taste like chocolate milk simply by going through the chocolate flavor filter to your mouth. I know, I know, why not just make chocolate milk? It is the coolness of the invention that makes you try it. By the time you drink the whole glass, the straw is empty. Beware of cookies and cream flavor, it made me want to yak because of how strong it was, but chocolate is good for sure.
I learned today the power a simple Jolly Rancher has over 12 and 13 year olds. Our class went really well...not only could you feel the spirit but it smelled like apples and watermelons the whole time. Galations chapter 5 talks about the fruits of the spirit...nah, sorry I couldn't resist. I love baseball playoff time, the regular season is rediculously long, but I follow the Rockies and the Cubs. The Rockies are in a one game playoff tomorrow to see if they can make the playoffs for the first time since '95, they won 11 in a row to get there. And we all know the Cubs have had thier woes forever. Wierd, I have never blogged about baseball before. How about the crazy college football shakeup this weekend? What am I doing? I should be concentrating on school. Joni and I have been trying to make an all time top 5 favorite movie list and it is really hard because we love so many movies. We came up with Forrest Gump for sure because it has all the qualities of a good movie, and maybe the Sixth Sense, Remember the Titans, and Rudy, but we need some help...what are some of yours?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are so many good sports movis, you do a top list of just those - Rudy is definitely up there. Off the top of my head, here are five of my favorites: The Natural, Glory, Star Wars, ET, Broncos Championship Video (Super Bowl XXXII). I cried in all except Star Wars.

Paul and Joni said...

I never thought about the Broncos championship video, thats hilarious.

Sean said...

How can you forget about the best comedy of all times, So I Married an Axe Murderer. There are few movies, and no comedies that can top it. Oh, and we have it on VHS and DVD if you need to see it again to refresh the glorious memory of that fabulous movie.

Maude said...

Paul, I love the way you hit on the difference between undergrad and graduate school. Isn't it refreshing to be able to think and talk deeply about a topic instead of doing the namby-pamby multiple choice stuff? Good for you!

This weekend WAS quite the sport weekend, for sure! I listened to a Dan Hawkins interview today which was really enjoyable. He's the quintessential "Mr. Positive." He said, "Well, my BSU boys showed us it could be done, so we had to do it!"

And the play-off game tonight should be great. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but would love to see the Rockies get in. Now, if the Broncos will just get with it!

Hmmmm, favorite movies. Actually, my list would be pretty close to yours and Glen's, I think. It's hard to pick 5 when including all types, don't you think? If you include sports videos, why not add the video of BSU's perfect season last year?

Are you saying "The Three Amigos" didn't make the list???? :)

Your S. S. class sounds awesome. What a perfect Church calling! (Makes me miss teaching!) You'll love them, and they you.

Love,
Mom

Paul and Joni said...

How bout those Rockies taking a 5 hour long, 13 inning game down by two in the final inning? That was pretty cool. You all make valid movie points, Joni and I have been working on our ultimate list for years because there are way too many...okay not for years. I got this idea recently because I saw a show about the 100 best movies of all time, and it made me really mad. There was one movie made after 1970 that was even in the top 25, and that one was black and white(Shindler's List). They even had some silent movies in the top ten, talk about a bias. I wanted to write em a letter, bunch of old quacks.

Anonymous said...

I see you, Paul, as a pretty creative guy. My experience with HR people is that they know all the rules and would answer why a hundred times a day. When I directed the mental health center in NY our HR lady was a walking encyclopedia about agency procedures. I hope you will learn the rules and keep your creativity. It's very enjoyable to talk to you and read what you say. You will go far in your field.

That was a long haul with the Rockies last night. They have won 14 or their last 15 games, and now take on Philly in the playoffs. They beat Philly four games this year, and lost three. I'll bet they'll still be considered the Cinderella team in the playoffs.

I really enjoy many of the movies that have come out the past five years or so, but I still hold on to my love of the old ones: Ben Hur, Cool Hand Luke, Shane, Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail. As you can see I like heros and good love stories. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

I love how you've discovered the power of jolly ranchers over a twelve year old class. They are little immature, funny people, aren't they? Five top movies? New ones for us; The Illusionist, The Fugitive, Comedy: 50 First Dates, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, and Romance: "While You Were Sleeping". Girl's favorite "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. It's fun to hear about your school. Does this mean you'll be like "Toby" from "The Office"?
Love,
Melecia

Anonymous said...

There are so many good ones and so many more cruddy ones, but these are off the top of my head.

Sports: Remember the Titans, Rudy, The Natural, Hoosiers
Drama: Glory, The Shawshank Redemption, Dead Poets Society, Braveheart, Gladiator, Red Dawn
Comedy: Ferris Buhler, Three Amigos, Fletch, *cough* Room With a View *cough*
SciFi, Action: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings, Matrix

I'm sure I'm missing lots.

Anonymous said...

Steve, I'm so glad to see that you have embraced "Room with a View". That just brought a tear to my eye - such a sensitive brother I have!
-Melecia

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,