Friday, January 11, 2008

Here's a little project I completed during the break. I could never build it myself, we bought it at Salvation Army for ten bucks and restored it. It was a lot more beat up than the picture shows, but we wanted that look, so I reinforced it a bit and added a little, and now it is the perfect tv stand. DVD player goes in the middle. We want to add another shelf in the middle. You can't tell but we beat it with hammer quite a bit too.
My last Friday before school starts up again, I have been really spoiled with this break. Reality hit me again yesterday when I spent $700 on textbooks, and I recieved two new syllabuses from my new professors. Something definately seems wrong about paying $170 for one small textbook, but that is the price we pay for an education right? I am excited to start up again but not quite as excited as I was at the beginning of last semester. Last night I volunteered to babysit nursery kids during enrichment...Lets just say I am glad to have just a puppy right now. I remember babies smelling sweet, but last night I couldn't get the smell of poo out of my system until I was home watching tv for a good 30 mintues. Do things change when it is your own child? I love kids but 6 or 7 at one time is a little nuts.

We have a whole new sunday school class now. We were really starting to like our class and everyone was participating, then the 14 year olds left and now we have fresh out of primary 12 and 13 year olds. Its amazing how much kids have an influence on each other at that age. The "leaders" of the last class would participate and everyone else decided to participate too. Now the most outspoken kid has a bad attitude, and so all of them act bored and pretend to hate participating all of the sudden. We'll see how long it takes everyone to warm up to us.

I got Joni a satellite radio for Christmas and it is the best thing ever. I can listen to it while I am online too, but my favorite station is the pure jazz station...holy crap I'm turning into my dad. Last night while driving to the church I was listening to Oscar Peterson, then Wynton Marsalis, and it put me in the best mood. I wish I would have kept up with piano but I hope to learn a little more someday soon. I think I was definately raised different than most kids because of my parent's appreciation for all music. My mom got me into musicals and my dad got me into jazz. How many kids can say their favorite musician was Al Jerreau growing up? Joni's influence was classic rock and 80's from her dad fixing cars in the garage, and I think church hymns from her mom. Of course her brother introduced her to hard rock and grunge. Now she likes all kinds of stuff. Music is one of the greatest gifts I think we can have. Its amazing how many movies are that much better because of a good soundtrack.

7 comments:

Maude said...

Paul, I love your restoration. That was one ugly piece of furniture originally, and it looks really good now! Trust you and Joni to see the potential in it.

Music is indeed one of the greatest of inventions, whatever kind you choose. Did I tell you about the PBS show right before Christmas, "Jazz at Lincoln Center" - - -had Marsalis and his band, Hines dancing, and a lady reading Angelou poetry - - tracing the history of Jazz from Africa to the present. It was fantastic.

Our prayers are with you for the new semester of school. You're almost half way through - - -will be after your internship. Whoopee!

Love you both
Mom

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Good job with the refinishing, Paul! It looks great. You should post some pictures of your new apartment.

I'm so proud of you for babysitting for enrichment! That is awesome. As for the poopy diapers, it makes a big difference when they are your own babies. Also, getting one baby at a time instead of 7 all at once is a lot easier and way more fun!!

Good luck with your Sunday School class. I'm sure they will love you in no time at all.

Also, good luck with your new semester. I know you'll do great!

Cool tribute to your parents and music. Your dad is going to be so pleased to read this blog about your love of Jazz!

Love,
Susan

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Your dad IS pleased to read about your interest in jazz. As others in the family know, I listened to Oscar Peterson the most. Did you know he died in his homeland of Canada a few weeks ago? He was perhaps the greatest player of arpeggios and other rhythmic embellishments on piano jazz of all time. What ever happened to Al Jarreau? The Nylons came to Longmont Skyline HS several years ago. We haven't heard of them since. Like you I love sound tracks in movies that repeat some of the oldies.

Good luck in school and with your new class in Sunday School. Be sure to keep your graduate school books. They are important to have in your future office for decoration as well as references when you need them. I spent thousands on books, several of them I hardly read over very seriously. That is part of the college rip-off to charge so much for books. When you negotiate salary in your future jobs you can mention your employer can help you pay for all those books! That's what MDs abd dentists say when we question their charges.

Love you, Dad

Anonymous said...

Jazz makes me feel happy too! I think liking a variety of music is the most amazing thing! I also like your new piece of furniture - a great idea for a t.v. stand. I think your volunteering to watch the poopy toddlers is very noble, and so is teaching the 13 year olds. They are the toughest Sunday school class in our ward. I know you and Joni will totally win them over! I am also aghast at the price of textbooks. Good luck in your new home and with your new move!
Love,
Melecia

Anonymous said...

George Benson and Al Jarreau have a new album I was listing to a couple weeks ago. It's pretty good, but the older Al Jarreau stuff is better I think. Every once in a while, I'll put some jazz on and Carter, Bess and I will dance. We can't convince Kendi to do it - maybe one day. That kind of music brightens the day!

Kendi and I bought an old broken down dresser last week too that I just refinished for Bess. The hardware was all rusty which I cleaned with a mixture of vinigar and salt, then sprayed with Rustoleum. I'll have to post a picture. Save me a few hundred bucks and you got to admit that old furniture has style.

Anonymous said...

Love the desk/tv stand, not so much Al though! Sorry

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,