I have been inspired by a tradition of the Catholic church called Lent. I am not about to practice it or anything, but it gave me a great idea. I actually started it about a week ago but I didn't want to say anything because I was afraid I would give up after 2 days. If you want to learn more about what Lent really is I'm sure you could google it, but I decided for 40 STRAIGHT days I would complete a goal and give up a bad habit, no exceptions.
So I set a goal to run a certain amount every day for 40 days, and complete a certain amount of pushups and situps. I have also chosen to completely give up any kind of fast food. With the food there is no exception, but if for some reason I can't do the running and exercising, I have to double it the next day...call it Paul's Bootcamp. I figured the only way for me to truly get into shape is to do something like this. I have always hated running, so I have to force myself to like it...I wonder if this would work with certain vegetables? Now that I have mentioned it in the blog it is official and there is no turning back. So for those of you who would like to participate, tell me what you want to give up or do for 40 days...something that won't be easy, and we'll do it together. Of course you need to choose your reward at the end of the 40 days to help you along the way, I'll let you know mine in a couple of weeks. So I've been going strong so far, although sometimes my legs hurt, but I feel good. I am looking forward to hearing what you want to do.
Its funny how inspiration comes, my grandpa Don sent me this quote on the last day of my mission, and I have since laminated it and I read it often:
"The greatest power in the world is the power of good habit. Good, well-established habits absolutely control our success. Our habits determine what we are. We should all make a list of our necessary habits and then become their slaves."
Monday, February 18, 2008
40 Days and 40 nights
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

19 comments:
Awesome idea, Paul. Sometimes the structure of very specific goals for a set period of time is just what is needed to turn an objective into a habit. I already walk my 5 miles every day, but have a new scripture plan I'll tell you about later.
Thanks for sharing Don's marvelous quote - - -a good one for all of us. I'm sure he'll be very pleased that it made such a positive and strong impression.
Love you,
Mom
This was is going to be tough for me, but I'm going to do it. NO TV FOR 40 DAYs. One exception - I get to watch 4 basketball games between now and the end of March. March madness is coming up.
So let it be written...
Glen
Wow, thats a pretty good one, I thought about that but then I realized how impossible that would be for me right now with March Madness, and I have to watch ESPN during breakfast. Good luck with that one, Kendi will have to be the judge.
Looks like Rachelle and I will be doing the exercise thing too. Oh, and Lent starts on Ash Wednesday, ends on Easter Sunday and represents the 40 days that Christ fasted.
Wow. You people are really trying to cut into my lazy time. Well...I had a nice 16 month 4 day a week workout streak going...until I started slacking off a bit. Of course, in my mind I have blamed it on a busy calling and busy life, but in reality...I can make time early and late. So... my eating habits are still going good...but I need to rededicate myself to 4 workouts a week, for 40 days.
Bring it!!!!
Your idea borrowing from Lent is a good one, Paul. I have a good physical program now. Wanting to avoid bad knees by running too much, I walk three miles every two days, lift weights for an hour every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and play intensive racquetball for an hour and half two times per week. I'm feeling better than ever. We walked outseide today in 55 degree weather and it was like being in heaven. I like my food and taped movies too much to call them bad habits. My worst bad habit is taking things too personally, so I'll work on that for 40 days. Love you, Dad
How bout no baby talking for 40 days Freddy Mike? just kidding. Allright I'm holding you all to it. Lent technically doesn't inlcude Sundays either, but thats why we are making it what we want to make it. Thats pretty cool how ya'll are so good at the in shape thing already. Thanks for the info Sean, in case some of you don't know, I have a friend who is my own private encyclopedia and we call him encyclopedia braseanica.
Oh yeah, in case you are wondering, Joni is also running for 40 days straight, and she is forcing herself to drink at least 6 cups of water a day. That sounds funny but she hates water and really needs to drink more, and only a dietitian would measure her intake in cups.
Wow, you guys are all overachievers. I was thinking more on the lines of taking a nap everyday for 40 days.
Glen I think you should pick a new one. That really isn't a very cool for everyone else that lives in the same house as you. I'll help you come up with something else?
How about doing one load of laundry everyday? or doing situps everyday.....???
Kendi - LOL! I guess when Glen gives up T.V. that means everyone.
I will give up sex for 40 days, oops, did I just say that? That will be too easy, okay lets think of something else. Okay - here goes. I hope I'm not setting myself up for anger. I am going to not raise my voice in anger at the children for 40 days. This does not include going outside and screaming at the top of my lungs to nobody in particular, or screaming into pillow.
Madison says she wants to do this too - she'll get back with y'all.
-Melecia
Yeah, pretty much this whole 40 day thing stinks right about now. Last night after basketball, I stared out the window waiting for everyone to get home from karate. Didnt feel like reading and I was too tired to do anything else. TV would have been nice. 40 days is going to be a long time! Kendi and the kids can watch TV if they want. I'll just have to beg them to talk to or play with Dad for a while. As much as I'd like to, I can't go back on my word now. -Glen
You crack me up, Glen. Of all the tough things to do, you chose probably one at the top. I don't even watch that much TV, but 40 days? - - now that is a sacrifice. As I mentioned to you,through my gales of giggles - - - maybe a new hobby, or I'll send some books - - or my new study program. Won't take the place of B-ball games during March Madness, but might keep your mind occupied so you don't drive Kendi crazy!
Thanks, Paul, for the great motivation. It will be very fun to work on things together.
Love you,
Mom
Melecia, geez. All bad images aside, I think the other thing is pretty funny. I still remember you trying not to get mad at your kids, you were actually pretty good at it.
Kendi, sorry but a deal is a deal. Glen sold his tv soul to me and he can't have it back...haha. Props to Glen again for manning up. I'll send a straight jacket for when he goes insane.
Justin, last time I saw you you already looked pretty in shape. I guess we can always improve, but I want to hear what you're doing sometime if it works. You should put a before and after pic on your blog or something.
It's sounds like our family is turning into a bunch of over programmed OCDs. Let's talk about overindulging and who can be the most lazy. Dad
sorry Paul for scarring your mind - as soon as I wrote that I realized it was over the top -I lasted about 5 hours without raising my voice in anger. Is it too late to do another one?
-Melecia
sorry Paul for scarring your mind - as soon as I wrote that I realized it was over the top -I lasted about 5 hours without raising my voice in anger. Is it too late to do another one?
-Melecia
haha, of course not. You and Glen are all about achieving the tough ones, although the efforts are noble. The whole idea behind the 40 days is to start a good habit and actually feel like you can accomplish something, How is Madison doing with her part?
I'm awesome, I thought Lent was for Jews! Crap, people are going to read my stupidity huh?
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工,
酒店寒假打工,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工,
酒店經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
Post a Comment