Friday, March 7, 2008

The internship game

I wasn't looking forward to posting two, pictureless blogs in a row within the same week, but I have to make a decision on my internhsip by Monday so I could use all the help or advice I can get. If this sounds boring to you already, don't read it, I thought it might be interesting to think about though. The closest offer is a 12 hour drive so when it comes to distance and being away from Joni it really doesn't matter because she'll fly to see me anyways. The offers are not only in different locations, but each location has a different type of HR internship.

So my options in no particular order are:

Bradenton, Florida- just south of Tampa Bay, and a couple of hours from Miami and Orlando. Bradenton is right on the gulf of Mexico and has some beautiful beaches. I would work in the airport security division, probably managing in a plant-specializing in leadership training and development.

Louisville, Kentucky- there are actually four in Louisville, but the one that stands out the most is a Latin American HR specialist position. It requires that I speak spanish and/or portuguese, and I would have the opportunity to work alongside Regional managers, CEO, and a global client group in helping to improve practices of HR programs in Latin America as well as implementing new ones. Louisville looks like a cool city, and is a 4 hour drive from Chicago.

Mebane, North Carolina- population 7,000...yikes. The good thing is that Mebane is right by Duke University and U of North Carolina and Raleigh, so it is close enough to some bigger towns. 3 hour drive from Melecia, 4 from DC, and really close to Newport and Chesapeake Bay (really nice beaches). This is a generalist role and would most likely be in a plant as well.

Bloomington, Illinois- Cool mid-size town between Peoria and U of Illinois, 2 hours from Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Nauvoo. Speicalist role leading plant in Union relations, which makes it a real "hands on experience" type of role. This appears to be one of the more complicated internships, but could be really rewarding.

Decatur, Alabama- Non Union specialist role. Northern Alabama? 12 hour drive, could meet Joni in Shreveport, Louisianna for weekends. Run Forrest Run!

Selmer, TN- pop. 4,500. The name alone makes me think of Dukes of Hazzard. Generalist role, not sure where I would stay, maybe rent out a room? 1hour from Memphis and Nashville. 11 hour drive from Bryan, welcome to Shreveport!

Ravenna, OH- Nearby attractions include Cleveland and Detroit...on a serious note, close to Palmyra, Niagra, and 5 hours from NYC. This would be in a lamp plant.

So there they are. As far as location and fun things to do, my top three are North Carolina, Illinois, and Kentucky and Florida are tied. As far as job, Louisville is my top choice, as long as its not the type of position I would be stuck in forever if I didn't like it. All of the internships would be great, so I won't complain, but I like the idea of having lots of activities closeby. North Carolina would be cool with Melecia so close, and Joni and I have never been to DC. But I have also always wanted to take Joni to Nauvoo and a Cubs game at Wrigley field (and shopping in Chicago of course). Should location be my priority though? I need some honest feedback, what would YOU do in my situation? I have to choose my top two or three and then I will be told which of those they would like me to go to of those top choices. Winner gets to come visit me whenever they want...maybe.

12 comments:

Moore Family said...

If I were you, the top criteria I'd use when making your decision would be to ask yourself which one you'd be happiest returning to when you graduate. You'll probably have opportunities to move around, but you never know. I'd consider what you want to do with your career and how the internship would help you get there. And you also should be happy living there for unforeseen future (5 years). The best probability of getting asked back will come from the folks you work with during your internship.

It's your decision, but I'll play your game. If it were me, North Carolina would be #1 and Kentucky would be #2. I can't think of many more beautiful places to live than North Carolina and you'd get good general HR experience. The job in Kentucky sounds the coolest - working with top management can fast track your career and traveling a lot would be fun until you start having kids. There is a lot of pretty horse country in Kentucky... and a lot of rednecks that eat squirrel. Working with the Union would be the worst part of the Illinois gig. Not by bag! You've got a lot of good choices. -Glen

Paul and Joni said...

Thats some good advice, it's hard not to think only about where you'll be for the summer, but if it will influence where you are after. I think they will do the same thing with a full time offer, at least that's what I've been told, I should always have a choice where to go. But you're right, I need to do well enough that I am offered a full time job wherever I go.

I am leaning towards North Carolina and Kentucky as well, although I'm not sure which one to pick first. Keep the input coming.

Joel said...

I'll try to call you. I think that your final decision will probably be a compromise of your criteria, with the work experience being a larger factor. A lot of them are in southern states, might be a nice break to have a change of scene.

Andrea said...

Ok, take my advice as you wish, but coming from someone working in HR I would choose Kentucky #1, Florida #2, and Bloomington #3. Kentucky is going to give you a great opportunity to work with the "higher ups." I say Florida because I feel really strongly about training and development, so often the development part gets overlooked in everyday business. And Bloomington because it will give you awesome experience working in Union shops. There are so many companies who struggle with finding HR people who can properly work with unions, you can make a killing as an Independent HR Consultant to union shops.

Good luck on the decison!

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

How serious are you about using your Spanish as part of the choice criteria?  You have a great command of the language and some schooling to back it up, and you have expressed a desire to return to the west.  A company that needs Spanish speaking HR professionals is a future consideration.  I like what Glen said.  Long term goals need to be taken into account.  Having a highly reputable internship background along with graduating from Texas A & M can be much like Joni's situation following her internship at Baylor Hospital.  Your good experience background will positively follow you whereever you go.  The vocational preparation is the highest priority at this point of your life in my estimation.  Love, Dad

Maude said...

Okay, so I know I just talked with you and said I didn't have much to add to what has already been suggested, but Jim has traveled to or near most of these places in his work. He said to go with the job you felt best about, but the two best for location, in his mind, would be Kentucky and North Carolina. I know you're weighing everything carefully. The right decision will come, I'm sure.

Love you
Mom

Paul and Joni said...

So I picked Louisville and North Carolina, and from the sounds of things, I will be in one of those places. Now its up to those places to match up with me. I should know Thursday, thanks for all the advice, and for also reinforcing some things I was already feeling. The lady I talked to this morning said that whatever I pick, I will probably have the opposite if offered full time next year. I value all of your opinions and they all helped in their own way. Thanks again.

Devin said...

Paul, I'm so proud to see you've developed a soft spot in your heart for my beloved Cubbies. Sarah's sister lives in Chicago, so if you end up in Louisville whaddya say we meet you in Chi-town for a game or two at Wrigley? Just remember who was there with you for your first Cubs game. I've been to Wrigley 2 more times since, but we saw two great games. I don't know if you remember but one of them was on a walk-off homer in the 10th inning. You may not remember though because you were too busy heckling former Rockie Andres Galarraga. Ok, enough of my rambling.

Despite what I said in my last paragraph, I'd be excited to have you guys in North Carolina for a little bit. We're about two hours away from Charlotte, so we'd have to meet you there for dinner some weekend or something. You sound like a stalker on my blog and I sound like a desperate ex-girlfriend on yours. I guess we're even.

Glad I found your blog! Oh and your Valentine's Day poem for Joni practically made me cry. Ok, now I am sounding like a girl. You put all of us guys to shame. That's right, I said GUYS plural and I include myself in that. OUT. -Morris

Andrea said...

Paul,
Do they have you certify for your PHR/SPHR through the program? I certified last year, if you need a study guide, I have a great one!

Paul and Joni said...

Morris, that trip to Wrigley made me a fan. I still love the Rockies, it was really hard to do homework during the playoffs last year. But you should know I have 2 cubs hats and I am definately a fan. I feel with baseball and basketball I can have multiple teams, but with football I can't cheat on my beloved Broncs. I am up for a game or two for sure, and you know I'm coming to visit if I'm in Carolina. Glad to know you are so sensitve still.

Andrea, I would love your old study guide, we don't do the certification in the program but I will do it soon after graduation. Let me know and I can pay for the shipping...or you can just come out here and visit us.

Joan Morris said...

Paul, it was so fun hearing from you!! It looks like you and your wife are very happy and loving life. Hope you and Devin can keep in touch from here on out. Come see us if you're ever in Boise for a visit! Good luck with your internship decision.

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,