Sunday, May 25, 2008

First week

I am feeling all kinds of things after this week, bear with me as I try to express them. I never realized how relaxing it is to hear Joni's voice...I told her that and she laughed because she can put me to sleep. Without explaining all the boring details, my job is basically to improve operations in Latin America by implementing certain programs that would only bore you if I explained them to you...So I won't. I am the only intern in my branch, and since Louisville is the headquarters I work next to all the "Bigs" over Latin American operations.

I learned some valuable lessons this week:
1-I'm not the smartest intern in history (although I'd love to be right now)
2-I can get down on myself when I don't know what I'm doing, but I can bounce back just as fast as I fall when I get to work
3-When I ask for help, I'll get it in droves (is that a word?)

I was so overwhelmed at the beginning of the week with the realization that I didn't know what I was doing at work, along with being entirely alone in a new place, and my boss leaving the country for 2 weeks after my first day. On Tuesday I hit one of the lowest points mentally that I have been in a long time, and the only thing I felt I could do was get on my knees and pray for help. I keep my emotions in check most of the time, but I couldn't help but lose it for those few minutes...I haven't cried like that in a long time. Its kind of embarrassing to even mention, but I want to remember this whole experience and learn from it. What happened next was nothing short of a miracle. I recieved phone calls from family members and friends who were just calling to see how I was doing...my 5 yr old nephew Carter even called me by accident...and I pretty much never get phone calls. The amount of contacts I suddenly recieved at work was like a tidal wave of help. Members of the church who work at GE reached out to me from China, Mexico, and here in Louisville. Family and friends reached out as well.

You always hear that we are tested to make us stronger and that trials are for our learning, but its easy to forget those things when you are the one being tested. I may have a long road ahead of me, but I know I don't have to walk it alone anymore. I told my boss what I was feeling and I just hope he doesn't think I'm a head case. I feel its really important to always be open and honest.

I have an awesome embarrassing first day story. I was asked to write a short bio about myself so my boss could send it out to all the workers in Latin America to get to know me better. As you might have guessed, I tried to be witty and mention something different about myself. I didn't have my boss' e-mail, so I sent it to him as a "reply" to one of the e-mails he previously sent me. Turns out this "reply" was a direct link to the CEO who had sent out a letter to the company and since my boss forwarded the thing to me, the CEO's name wasn't on it. I had attached my bio and just said "here ya go" (like, "here I am world") Two minutes later I get an e-mail from the CEO saying "is this for me?". My heart fell into my butt (it couldn't go to my feet because I was sitting), and I quickly e-mailed him back to apologize for my mistake. When I relayed the story to my boss, he about peed his pants with joy. I guess everyone needs a good first day story and I have mine.

Louisville is a cool city with the Ohio river wrapping around it, lots of history, green trees, and hills nearby. The drive here was actually really pretty...except for Arkansas, which is about as pretty as I imagine Oklahoma to be. The mountains between Memphis and Nashville are beautiful too, plus I was driving through them while the sun was setting. Kentucky can best be described with rolling hills that look like broccoli because of all the trees. The vegetation is so thick that you could drive by a town without even realizing it. When it opens up, there are farms with giant red barns and tall silos on rolling hills. Its amazing I've lived as long as I have without realizing places like this even existed, just think about how many people have never really seen the Rocky Moutnains.

So, here I am world...taking things one step at a time. Melecia, I respect you now more than ever for what you go through without Rhett around. I know many of you have felt alone before, and it comforts me to know there is a way through it all, and it all starts by getting on your knees and asking for help.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Paul, awesome first day story. I'm still scared spitless by our CEO. My phone was ringing the other day, my caller ID said the CEO's name. I, too, almost peed my pants. I picked up trying to sound important and nonchalant. It turned out he called me by mistake. PHEW!! Best of luck in Louisville!

Maude said...

Wow - - I guess I knew about all this, but to get it all in one reading. You had a load on your plate, Paul. I'd be scared and feeling totally overwhelmed. I'm very proud of you, and know you received lots of neat blessings, as you mentioned. Way to go!! You know, if you took each thing that happened during the week, and placed each in a "positive" or "negative" column, it sounds like the overall impression you made was extremely positive - -and human and real. Did I say I was proud of you? I am - - -but not at all surprised that you tackled the tough things and proved yourself a super intern. Three cheers - - and I'm sure this week will be even better.

Love you lots.
Mom

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

I loved your poetic description of your drive there, the sunset, the brocholi, etc. You are quite a writer!

I've also experienced prayer where tears flow openly and freely, especially when lonely, frustrated or grateful. I welcome those feelings because I believe it helps me to be a deeper person. Thanks for sharing what's in your heart. That brings most other people closer to you.

That's really funny about the CEO. I'm glad your boss saw the humor in it. I can't help but think once anyone, including the big shots, knows you, he will smile and be impressed. I like the way you are handling the situation. You are one terrific guy!

Love you. Love to Joni too.

Dad

Moore Family said...

The first day and week are always the hardest. It's nice you're getting a lot of support.

I have an intern working for me this summer and I've been keeping her very busy. I'd rather stretch her and see what she can do than bore her and give her easy tasks. Maybe your boss is trying to do the same thing. Do what you can but don't feel you have to take the weight of the whole world on your shoulders.

I've been there bro.

Anonymous said...

Paul that was a great blog. We are all praying for you and Joni.
Sounds like beautiful country...great descriptions.

The Paulks said...

Paul, I would have called you too, but I don't have your phone number. J/K :) I hope things continue to improve for you both!