Friday, May 2, 2008

I have to admit I haven't been a big fan of blogging lately. I'm sure other people go through these phases, and I know it will pass, but I just can't get myself to want to write anything. I should say I can't get myself to post anything, because I have written blogs and then I just decided not to post them...it's really wierd. I guess its so easy to feel like you have to have a good story or a bunch of pictures, and since I've had neither of those lately I haven't wanted to be boring. But then I remember the reason I blog is to keep everyone updated and to keep my own personal journal. As crazy as this sounds I am also turned off by the thought of having people judge me by what I say. This is the time of year when all the students give final presentations on issues in our classes, and one person talked about blogging. We also talked about blogging in my law classes. The bottom line is that employers and all kinds of people search blogs, facebook, and other personal pages to see if there is anything that might make them not want to hire somebody...and its perfectly legal.

I hate the idea of being censored. Not that I have anything to worry about...at least I hope, but the thought of it turns me the opposite direction. Its funny because the last time I remember this happening was in 2nd grade. My teacher encouraged us to write more freely, and get our feelings out on paper. I didn't want to write about boats floating in moats, and goats eating oats like I did in 1st grade so this was my opportunity to shine. I wrote little "action" stories, and I was really descriptive about everything. Then my teacher told my mom she was worried about me because of the things I wrote about, makes me sound like an animal. All I can remember is how mad I was that I was told to write freely, but that I really couldn't. To give you an idea of where my mind was in 2nd grade, here's an example of a poem I wrote that we found the other day going through stuff (its Joni's favorite).

Jack and Jill went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down and broke his crown royal
and now Jill is dating some guy from L.A.
Who knows what other gems I might have had if my teacher wasn't censoring me.
I have been learning a lot this semester about how past behavior influences future behavior when it comes to hiring decisions. Since I wore the same pair of corduroy's every day in 1st grade, what does that say about me now? I must have had a crush on every girl in my class at a different time, and I ate glue to impress the girl sitting next to me, does that mean I might not be a good fit for a company? Okay, enough of this...you get my point?
Speaking of horses, I am actually pretty excited for the Kentucky Derby tomorrow. Mom, I have been telling all my friends about how you sit 2 feet from the television all day during the Kentucky Derby. Each horse has his own little story, and I'm sure when they get a good narrator and some good music, she'll be crying. Any one have any favorites? I like Big Truck just cause thats a great name for a horse...Long Limo must have been taken. I actually think Colonel John will win even though he's never run on a dirt track. I see the favorite, Big Brown, taking 3rd. Mark my words, this is how its going to play out. Don't even try to talk horse trash to me...you proud of me mom?

10 comments:

Maude said...

I appreciate your comments, Paul - - your comments in general, the "memory" comments, which were fun to remember,(You were and are a fun an interesting individual!) and your comments about blogging. I tend to agree with the discomfort with the lack of privacy on blogs. I guess that's why at times they become more bragging or talking about the "stuff I don't mind the whole world knowing" stuff than journaling, although I still think they have value in keeping a record of sorts and in keeping in touch with family and friends.

I'm very proud that my son remembered that it is indeed Kentucky Derby weekend. Yippee! You're right - - -I've read widely about each, know their pedigrees, how each got his/her name (There IS one filly in the race, Eight Belles!), etc, I am very impressed with Big Brown,even though he has the 20th and last post position, but never fully make up my mind until I see them in the post parade - -then I lock in! Yes, I'll be watching. I haven't missed listening or watching one since 1955, when Swaps won.

Love you lots,
Mom

Maude said...

P. S. Adriano (by A. P. Indy) has the distance pedigree - -and he also has my favorite jockey, Edgar Prado; and I just saw a video of Denis of Cork, and he was dragging his grooms around, he was so full of himself. Let's see what tomorrow brings! :)

Paul and Joni said...

I knew you'd like the only filly. The fact that Big Brown is starting on the outside and that a horse hasn't won in his situation in like 60 years makes me think history won't change tomorrow. Wasn't his trainer guaranteeing victory? Who is your sentimental favorite? The filly?
Wow, just listening to myself is freaking me out. I wish it was in 2 weeks so I could just be there to feel the atmoshpere and craziness of the whole thing. If you visit me we'll have to check the place out. Once again, everyone is invited to come visit, just let me know.

Paul and Joni said...

Oh my gosh, that was the saddest thing ever. For those of you who didn't watch, Eight Belles-the only filly in the race- ran her heart out and got second place. Thirty seconds later she collapsed and broke both her ankles and they had to put her down. That was crazy and sooooo sad.

Moore Family said...

I go through the spurts of blogging too. Mostly it's a creative thing for me but then I also remember it's not about creativity but mostly about a journal for our family.
Where are the pictures?

Anonymous said...

Don't worry - I won't ever censor you, and that first grade paper is hilarious! Maybe your writing will become famous one day. Jack fell down and broke his "crown royal" & Jane dated a guy from LA? What a little sophisticate you were/are. I am pretty much an open book, which bothers some people and helps others - there is no mystery here. I hope it doesn't ever getting in the way of getting you hired somewhere though! Who was that teenage girl at the winner's circle two inches from the camera and chewing gum with her mouth open?
Love,
Melecia

Anonymous said...

Pretty funny stuff. I wonder if the teacher was worried because you had an uncanny grasp of liquor ads. That was an actual ad ran during the late 80's.

http://store.vintagepaperads.com/servlet/-strse-22977/1987-Seagram's-Crown-Royal/Detail

Hee Hee!

Poor teacher didn't know why you scowled at her the rest of the grade. ;)

Paul and Joni said...

holy crap

Cierra said...

hey paul!!

of course i dont mind if you stop by our blog...you are welcome any time. It's good to see all is well with you and your wife too.

I still remember the good ol days in Longmont during our family's summer visits. Lots of trampoline, basement forts, and videogames. good times!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,