Monday, September 22, 2008

"...inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my bretheren, ye have done it unto me."

We survived our first hurricane. Well, all we got here was some sideways rain and a bit of wind, but the last couple of weeks have really been an eye opener for us. There are still evacuees in our church, we're the only church in Texas that still has them...not sure why but I like to think its a great opportunity to serve even though it has been pretty challenging for everyone involved. Let me explain the situation and you can make your own conclusions:

There were over 120 people in the church for the first 10 days. They shared food, slept on the floor, shared small classrooms with up to 10 people at a time (some had to sleep in the gym), tons of little kids screaming and playing at all hours, and there was one shower that has a 70 gallon water heater. After that, think about not knowing whether or not you still had a home or a job once you went back.

I was amazed and extremely humbled that after all of this, these people managed to stay positive and be okay with their circumstances, and went out of their way to thank us for spending a few hours of our time to be there with them. It made me feel stupid for complaining about having to be there so much. The first day I was at the church for over 11 hours. We had to be there to check the evacuees in, we also have to have 2 priesthood holders at the building at all times...24 hours a day until they leave. Its amazing that when you see people in such dire circumstances that you can forget about all of your little troubles and you feel renewed physical strength. I felt that a lot on my mission.

Everything was very organized, down to sign up sheets for the shower, room assignments, pet sitting, and eating times. 3 women volunteered to cook all the meals, and everyone pitched in with something. When the truck arrived from church headquarters to be unloaded with supplies, the youth unloaded it in less than 15 minutes. The truck driver was in tears when he saw how willing these young people were to serve.

400 members of the church drove all the way from Austin to help find members all over our stake because some areas were without power for several days and we had to make sure they were okay and accounted for. There were too many volunteers for what needed to be done.

We had our close friends from Houston staying with us for 10 days, they have three little girls so it got crowded in our little 2 bedroom apartment, but it was really fun. They had no power the whole time until a couple of days ago, and when we drove to Houston to check their place out their apartment had a lot of water and sheetrock damage, shingles were everywhere and huge trees were completely uprooted. I can't even imagine what Galveston looks like.

My Bishop told me a funny story that happened last week in Houston. Hundreds of Meninites came up from Mexico to help in any way they could, and so when they got to Houston they went straight to the Sherriff's Office and asked what they could do to help. They didn't really know what to tell them to do so they said, "go find the Mormons, they'll have something for you". So, if you drive past certain Stake centers in Houston you may see several tents out on the lawn...don't worry, its just the Meninites. Also, there is a chapel 5 blocks from the shoreline in Galveston where all of the buildings and houses around it are underwater. The chapel didn't receive an ounce of damage and it isn't even on higher ground than the other buildings...come to mention it not a single church house was damaged in any way.

So now that I am literally inundated with homework, group projects, and midterms, as well as helping schedule people to help the evacuees, I really have to say that I am thankful for the opportunity to serve. I'm greatful to know that I have taken so many things for granted, and that I can be reminded about what really matters in life. Its so cliche to say, but I hope that we can all take the opportunity to be thankful for what we have, and to be prepared on a moment's notice when the next disaster strikes. I think you can see the true side of someone to see them react in stressful situations, and I am greatful to know I have so many awesome people around me that I have seen serve others without an ounce of concern for themselves.

p.s. Thank you Andrea, the shirt you sent to me today with a blue stallion on it made me laugh...and remember how great it is to have friends that follow through on lame promises.

10 comments:

Maude said...

Wow - - -what an amazing story! So much to take in - - -the strength of people, the service, the ability to share and to help - -and the humor. I'm glad you had this opportunity, Paul and Joni. I'm sure it will be something that stays with you for a lifetime. The Gospel in action, for sure! I hope folks who are still with you are able to soon find more permanent homes.

I'm sure you'll catch up with studies, etc., and know you'll be blessed for your goodness.

Love you lots,

Mom

Andrea said...

Yes! I told you I accepted the challenge and I would not let you down! Have a great b-day!

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Happy Birthday tomorrow, Paul! It has been such an inspiration to talk to you on your cell phone about this amazing service in a very tragic situation. It impresses me once again how quickly and totally a large population of people can be devastated by weather or other environmental shifts. I contacted the Red Cross and FEMA to see how I could volunteer as a social worker, and haven't got a call back yet. These "signs of the times" are humbling and fair warning for us to be prepared temporally and spirually. Our hats off to you, Joni, and others for your dedicated service.

Love, Dad

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Oops, Birthday #29 on the 24th.

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Wow, Paul, what a cool experience you had serving and continuing to serve all those people. It's always so sad to see the devastation and people's lives in upheaval, but the Lord really comes through and blesses those people in those humble situations. What a blessing for you and Joni to be able to participate in helping at this hard time for so many. We are so proud of you and admire all the good people that rally at times like these!

Love,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Your blog makes me wonder how I would have reacted in that situation. It's scary to think about those kind of things especially when you have children that rely soley on you for EVERYTHING. I guess get prepared huh?
I am glad that you are both okay and now you can get back to regular life for awhile. These next months are going to fly by!

Moore Family said...

That's true religion at work. "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them." Matt 7:20

Is it okay if I share your story with my Elder's Quorum? I'm so proud of the way you stepped up and helped in whatever way you could. Very inspiring.

Glen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience Paul...it's very eye opening to hear it from someone who is really living it.
There was a huge fire in Boise that burned an entire neighborhood and it's so neat to see people going out of their way to help and lend support.
Good luck with getting caught up on all the homework...I'm sure there will be blessings forthcoming for all your service.

The Paulks said...

Wow you guys. It didn't even cross my mind that you were in the area until I read your blog today -I've been a little busy giving birth! :)

That's kind of crazy, because Hurricane Katrina hit right after I brought Maddy home from the hospital and seeing it on the news was such an eye opener for me. I can't believe you guys have been in the middle of everything. How blessed we are to have the gospel... I love the service our church provides and I'm sure you guys will be blessed for all the help you've provided! I'm glad you were able to help those in need...

Wow, that sounded really sappy, that's what happens when I blog at 12am!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,