Monday, March 30, 2009

I've got too much...time on my hands

I've made a habit over the last couple of weeks of working ridiculously long hours (not by my choice of course), but now that its kind of over I don't really know what to do. I just spent about 2 weeks straight of waking up at 6:30, going to work, coming home between 9-10, then going straight to bed. If I had to do that for one more week I was about to start looking for another job, but thankfully now things are back to normal. I guess I shouldn't complain about it too much, I just don't ever want to be in a position where my job runs my life instead of the other way around. It's times like these that make me wish I was teaching instead, but I figure I'll give the career with a big company a shot for at least a few years and then have an early mid-life crisis and career change later on.

Do you remember those career tests you took back in high school? I totally want to take one of those just for fun again. I think the tests are subjective and results can change at different stages of life, but it would be fun to see how close (or totally far off) I am right now. Joni said her results told her to be a dancer or a cattle rancher, take your pick, they sound the same to me. Actually, I laughed really hard because after researching what a cattle rancher does it was clear that they are free spirits that don't enjoy being told what to do...maybe those career tests are pretty accurate after all. Is a job really just a job? How many people out there are truly doing what they WANT to do? I think the biggest and best excuse is that once you are far enough along in school, you don't want to have to start all over, so you settle on whatever pays the bills. Its a good excuse, but its also really sad if you think about it. Maybe that's why schools are in horrible shape right now around the country. There are some great teachers out there (my mom was one of them) but there could sure be more of 'em.

When I try to think about my dream job it involves making my own schedule, managing others, completing projects, having contact with people, and seeing physical results. Joni wants a job where she can be creative and focus her attention on her artistic side. I guess when it comes down to it, I just want to learn how to do everything. If money didn't matter, I think I would spend all my time learning how to fix cars, or play an instrument, or build something cool...is there such a job out there? I guess we can all dream, but that's what hobbies are for too. Maybe I'm that way because I haven't had a lot of stability as far as living in one place for a long time, or holding one job for a long time. Who knows? I've got some solid foundations in my life, one of them is my wife, another is my family, and another is my church. If all else fails on the career front, at least I have these things.

I just bought a book called "How Starbuck's Changed my Life". I haven't even read it yet but I'm already recommending it to you. When I read the description it really hit home, it was one of those things that just jumps out at you. I'll let you look it up, but don't tell me how it ends because I haven't read it yet, its a true story. I heard Tom Hanks is already working to make it a movie. Anyways, thats enough deep ramblings from me for one day. If any of you figure it out let me know.

9 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm definitely feeling the mid-life crisis. Is 29 too young to have a mid-life crisis?

Moore Family said...

Glen and I were talking the other night and I was venting to him about people asking for me help them with their kids and how much I dread the days that I have extras. I made the comment to him that when I was younger I always wanted to be a teacher. I haven't seen him laugh that hard in a very long time!

I often ask Glen if he likes what he does and he is happy because I can't imagine feeling stuck in a job that you have to go to 5 days a week and you hate it.
I sounds like maybe it's a good thing that your job moves you around as much as it does. Maybe it will give you some more variety and make things a bit more exciting!!
I think Joni should start a craft class for kids. Seriously she could make some extra money and the kids would love being with her.

Kendi

Moore Family said...

I can relate to how you're feeling Paul. A few months after I graduated from school and had started my first job, I was seriously looking at different franchise opportunities because I thought I'd made a mistake and starting my own business was the thing for me. Fortunately things got better and I'm glad I stuck with it. I feel fortunate because overall, I do like what I do.

I'm confident that things will work out for you. Honestly though, there are very few if any people I know that wake up every day and say, "Whoopee! I get to go to work today!" If somebody tells you that, chances are they're lying or need their head checked. I'm not saying you should stick with a job you hate. I'm paraphrasing, but remember what President Hinkley said that every job has moments that are tedious, boring and routine.

To me, something that's very important but doesn't get as much mention as it should is that a job is a means of providing for your family. That doesn't mean consigning to a life a misery for 40 years but it's important to remember.

Glen

Glen

Paul and Joni said...

Thanks for the advice, I think I do need to just stick it out because there are definately good and bad moments. It is a means to an end right now, we'll see how I feel in a couple years. I just like to think sometimes what I would be doing if money was not an object, or if I didn't have loans to pay off. Its good to know I'm not alone in my thinking.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were really swamped for a while! You really write your thought process so well - I enjoy reading it! We tell our kids to do and be whatever they want, and then we are faced with the reality that when they get in the job world, any job they get they will have to be satisfied with because of the economy.
Rhett's at that point right now - getting ready to retire from the AF - figuring out which way to go. He just took the Myers - Briggs test again and has been going to job fairs and talking to a lot of people. It's exciting and also a little nerve racking. I think it's so cool that Joni could be a dancer or a cattle rancher. Joni - I promise not to tell you what to do! You are both great!
Love,
Melecia

Maude said...

Thanks for the blog, Paul - - -made us all think a little bit, I'm sure! There are truly "up times" and "down times" in any type of work. You'll figure out the pathway that is best for you!

I liked the news that Joni could be
happy as a cattle rancher or a dancer. Probably one is more about her love of freedom, and the other about her love of physical activity. I think Joni can do about anything she decides to do - - as can you!

Glen, I'm not lying, so I guess I should have had my head checked years ago, 'cause I truly LOVED teaching and did look forward to every day. (But I've liked every job I've ever had, even drug-testing horses at the race track to make summer money - - -except the only "desk" job I had - - -an "admin. asst., so that probably does mean I'm a bit loony.)

Hang in there, Paul. There are many blessings coming your way right now - - -some in the form of challenges. Enjoy!

Love you both!

Mom

Maude said...

P. S.

I really like your "This Day in History " sidelight. Very informative! Also, lest someone misunderstand, the "non-favorite" job was the one at CFP. You remember! :)

xoxoxox

Mom

Joel said...

I feel you, brother!

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

The thing that I'm learning these days about work is that I'm just grateful to have a job during the economy crisis, even though I don't like the job very much. I like to be able to go home every day and get into a totally different world. Having a balance of activity still works for me.

You are building on your experience resume and the longer you work your field the more you will find opportunity in big or small businesses. I like your writing and thinking. Keep it up. Love, Dad