
One of the perks of living 2 hours from NYC is that you can go down there for a day or a weekend and its no big deal...or so we thought. We had a blast, but we did waaaaay too much for a weekend. We took Andrea down there for her first time to celebrate her birthday and get to know our neighbors in New York a little better. Next time I think we'll focus on just a couple things at a time. We took the train down to Grand Central Station in the heart of Manhattan, and hitched the subway to our hotel. Our room was just big enough for a queen bed, and a roll-a-bed and we shared a bathroom with some foreigners. It was totally worth the money we paid for it, and it actually wasn't so bad sharing a bathroom. The hotel was a couple blocks from Central Park and right next to a subway station, so it all worked out pretty well.
I couldn't stop thinking about how I didn't want to hold onto the metal bars on the subway, but when it was crowded we didn't have much of a choice. I am terrified of metal handrails ever since I was at the musuem of natural history and my hand slid across a gigantic squishy booger...that just gave me the chills just thinking about it.We ate breakfast sandwiches on a rock in Central Park (you can tell which pictures were taken with our good camera and which ones were with the cheaper one, but a picture is a picture)

...And hung out in Belvedere's tower...we walked down Wall Street, through Chinatown, Little Italy, Soho, Rockefeller Plaza, Times Square, and went inside some old churches. The pizza we had in Little Italy was awesome. I thought it was so crazy that walking just a couple blocks would take you into a completely different neighborhood where people dressed, looked, talked, and acted differently...so wierd. Joni had tons of fun with the camera, I really think she's got an eye for all things artistic...





One of the things I love about New York is that no one really cares or notices what you look like, how you dress, or if you are walking by yourself singing about "My Little Ponies". Craziness and uniqueness are just a way of life, and nobody pays much attention to anyone. If you park your car long enough in one spot, someone will even give you a unique new paint job.
While in Soho, which is kind of the modern artsy district, we went to this place called the Earth Room that our friends told us about. You had to push a buzzer for someone to let you in, then we walked up some creepy stairs and into a massive 2nd story room covered in 3 feet deep of dirt. How they got it up there I'll never know, but its been there since 1977 and they pay a guy to water it, rake it, and guard it every day. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. They didn't allow pictures, but thats okay because it wouldn't do the place justice.
One of my favorite places was FAO Schwartz. I forgot how cool toy stores can be, but these guys go all the way. In one area they have women dressed as nurses carrying life-like babies, and then if a little girl wants to "adopt" one they have to fill out the adoption papers like its all real. There's also a place where you can create your own muppet, kind of like with build-a-bear but with Muppets (the only place in the world you can do this). I'm totally doing it sometime, coolest idea ever.
We got back at about 10pm on Sunday night, and now we are feeling the effects of a long, event-filled weekend. We're going to take a couple weekends off before we go somewhere again, but we are definately going back to the city soon.

...And hung out in Belvedere's tower...we walked down Wall Street, through Chinatown, Little Italy, Soho, Rockefeller Plaza, Times Square, and went inside some old churches. The pizza we had in Little Italy was awesome. I thought it was so crazy that walking just a couple blocks would take you into a completely different neighborhood where people dressed, looked, talked, and acted differently...so wierd. Joni had tons of fun with the camera, I really think she's got an eye for all things artistic...




One of the things I love about New York is that no one really cares or notices what you look like, how you dress, or if you are walking by yourself singing about "My Little Ponies". Craziness and uniqueness are just a way of life, and nobody pays much attention to anyone. If you park your car long enough in one spot, someone will even give you a unique new paint job.
While in Soho, which is kind of the modern artsy district, we went to this place called the Earth Room that our friends told us about. You had to push a buzzer for someone to let you in, then we walked up some creepy stairs and into a massive 2nd story room covered in 3 feet deep of dirt. How they got it up there I'll never know, but its been there since 1977 and they pay a guy to water it, rake it, and guard it every day. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. They didn't allow pictures, but thats okay because it wouldn't do the place justice.
One of my favorite places was FAO Schwartz. I forgot how cool toy stores can be, but these guys go all the way. In one area they have women dressed as nurses carrying life-like babies, and then if a little girl wants to "adopt" one they have to fill out the adoption papers like its all real. There's also a place where you can create your own muppet, kind of like with build-a-bear but with Muppets (the only place in the world you can do this). I'm totally doing it sometime, coolest idea ever. We got back at about 10pm on Sunday night, and now we are feeling the effects of a long, event-filled weekend. We're going to take a couple weekends off before we go somewhere again, but we are definately going back to the city soon.
I am so excited for March Madness! Both of our Aggies are playing, and one of them is playing the evil Cougars. We have some friends coming over to watch that one, hopefully we can still be friends afterwards...haha. Good luck Aggies! I need something to cheer for given all the drama with my Broncos right now.

12 comments:
Holy Cow! You people stuffed a week of activities into 2 days! Sounds fun, though, and the photos are awesome. You guys are great about finding the unusual things, like the place in Soho. Love hearing about the adventures. Thanks for sharing.
Much love!
Mom
P. S.
I'm excited about March Madness,too! Lots of familiar teams to cheer for, and some interesting match-ups! I printed off my bracket last night, but haven't done all my picks yet. Go Aggies!
xoxox
Mom
I looks so cold! Sounds like you had a great time. I know the kind of hotel rooms you're talking about. It seems like there are a lot of those boutique hotels with really small rooms and bathrooms but it's kind of fun to stay in those as long as they're clean.
You should do your bracket on ESPN.com. They have a cool interactive tool so you make your picks on line and then print out your bracket. I've got mine done. Of course I picked USU over Marquette but USU getting beat by Missouri in the 2nd round. Other first round upsets: 13 Miss State over 4 Washington, 11 Dayton over 6 WVU, 10 Maryland over 7 Cal and 11 Temple over 6 ASU. Not too impressed with the PAC10.
Glen
Looks like you had a fun weekend!
Paul, I told you not to sing "My little Ponies" on the street anymore, and that bugger story, well, that can scar a person for life. The pictures are really great. I love the steps and the bird, and the colored photos. That dirt room sounds really wierd! We still have FAO Swartz on the list. You guys know how to have fun!
Love,
Melecia
That's awesome, I'm jealous. Erin and I are trying to get out a little more. We'd been laying low for a while with potential moves and everything but you gotta go on with life and all. You guys have had a U.S. tour going on, keep it up.
Brings back good memories of our trip to NYC with you guys! Remember how hot it was? Looks like you guys were kind of cold!
That dirt room definitely sounds interesting! It's amazing how much there is to do there.
Joni is a really good photographer. Love all the pictures! You all look great!
Love ya,
Susan
Yay! I can't wait to come see you guys next month!
Wow Joni, great photos coming out of that canon. Keep it up!
Wow. Looks like you crammed so much into a couple days!!
Loved all the pictures!!
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工,
酒店寒假打工,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工,
酒店經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
Post a Comment