Sunday, April 5, 2009

push-up challenge

Joni took this picture of our favorite bridge at Elizabeth Park in West Hartford, there are some crazy looking trees there, and its a fun park for a walk or just to hang around and play catch.
This weekend Joni and I were lounging on the couch on a Friday night when she told me she would give me ten bucks if I did 200 pushups before the night was over. It was 10pm, I was already exhausted, and I had just downed a doughnut, a Zinger, and a 32 oz. soda (healthy I know)...but I also tend to buckle under peer pressure and I couldn't pass up a chance to have ten extra bucks for the Pizzarama we had on Saturday night (I'm really sounding fat now). So I popped in the Superman soundtrack to see if I could work myself mentally into doing more pushups in one sitting than I had ever accomplished before, and off I went.


By the time I reached 50, I needed to move on to some different music, so Joni took it upon herself to be my own personal, motivational DJ. By 100 pushups I couldn't feel my arms, but I could feel the massive veins in my forehead pulsating to the beats of the random music Joni kept playing on the computer. By 150 I started feeling all of my past sins start to make their way back up my throat and spin my head in circles, it seemed hopeless, but I pushed on (no pun intended). I think the breaks between pushups 170-200 were longer than any of my breaks combined, but I made it! 200 pushups in one hour! Now as I write this blog two days later, my elbows remain close to my ribs as I type because the slightest movement makes me feel like I just got trampled by a stampede of buffaloes.


Now that I accompished what I thought was impossible, I'm motivated to create the pushup challenge. I challenge all who read this blog to do 50 pushups every night for the next three months. I'm gonna try to sprinkle...(hmmmmm, I love sprinkle doughnuts) some situps and running in there every once in a while, but the challenge is pushups. I froze my membership to the gym for 3 months to see if this works, I dare you to do it! If you can't do 50, then do 50 of something else. Three months from now lets see where we are, if you leave a comment I'll assume you are taking part and I'll check on you later to see how you did, deal?


Coming next week...ESPN tour, and The Poptarts vs. The Misfits female rollerderby showdown.

17 comments:

Maude said...

I'll exercies as soon as I can stop laughing, Paul. Your writing is so funny sometimes, like today. I can just picture the (200-Pushup Challenge happening, with Joni cheerleading all the way!) :)

I'll take the challenge - - -if you'll let me do "girly" push-ups - - or a substitute of your choice. I've started a little weight-training program to supplement the walking, so it will fit right it.
Thanks for the physical fitness prod - - good for all of us!

Love you.

Mom

Maude said...

P. S.

Oops - - -the word is "exercise," I believe! Love the little rock bridge - - -and Dilly, of course! No pictures of the popping veins?

Paul and Joni said...

I have to admit I was happy that Paul is such a cheap buy. I got quit a show for only $10 - totally worth it. I actually thought he was going to die a few times, but overall I was pretty impressed at Paul's dedication to finishing.

Joni

Paul and Joni said...

girly pushups are fine mom.

Always happy to entertain Joni

Joel said...

Wow. That was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I doubt I can do 50 push ups straight but I'll take your challenge. I decided that this is the last month for my gym membership anyway.

Oh yeah, I'm committing Erin too.

Moore Family said...

Man, that's funny! How did Joni get out of doing that with you? Next time, you'll have to have a contest - first one to 200 pushups wins.

Any other time I'd take you up on your little challenge, but I'm committed to another exercise program right now.

Your story reminded me of the Krispy Kreme challenge. It's a race in North Carolina where you run 2 miles to a Krispy Kreme store, eat a dozen donuts and then race 2 miles back to the finish line at NC State. There's a good You Tube video of an ESPN reporter running in his suit, pounding all those donuts and then running up the final hill trying not to upchuck. Very funny stuff.

Glen

Anonymous said...

Rhett would have been right there with you! Thanks for that funny blog! Take the challenge? Hmm... Let me ponder that one. Hi Dilly! Come see us again some time!
Love,
Melecia

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

I'll take the challenge. I did 100 push-ups daily when I wrestled in HS; we'll see how it goes now. I like the Krispy Creme idea, but I better not. I want to challenge Susan, who also was a cheerleader, to cheer me on.

You are a funny man, Paul. I still think you ought to write a column.

Love, Dad

steve said...

I'm not sure why I'm responding here since I didn't renew my Gym membership almost a month ago when it expired and have let myself lapse into a semi inactive state, but perhaps I need a physical challenge. Starting today April 8 - July 8...50 push-ups a day, except Sunday.

Now where is my Rocky soundtrack?

Paul and Joni said...

Give me your address and I'll send it in the mail :)

Kendi said...

I'll join with the others, however I will have to do the girly ones also!

Paul and Joni said...

Next time I see you guys you are all going to have big guns. :)

JOni

Maude said...

Hope so, Joni! Right now, I just have sore muscles, and I keep asking myself, as I go up and down with each push-up, "And just why did I decide to commit to this?!" But I'm hangin' in there!

Love,
Mom

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

It looks like your challenge has had an impact. I've been doing 50 daily and am surprised I can still do it. Are you keeping up?

Dad

Paul and Joni said...

Totally, although I've almost forgotten twice a few minutes before midnight. I just keep thinking everyone is cursing me while they are doing pushups, its probably easier for me to motivate myself because I can only get mad at myself.

steve said...

Yes...I'm cursing you.

....but....

It DOES help to chant "Paul Stinks ... Paul Stinks ... Paul Stinks" on the up and down counts.

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,