Friday, May 15, 2009

Got Books?


Since about the time Paul and I got married I have developed a love for reading. I love any good book. But lately I have been struggling to find "new stuff" to dig into. I go to a book club once a month, which is awesome, but I read more than one book a month. I've been searching high and low for ideas and I'm ashamed to admit that I even resorted to googling "cool books" the other day. It dawned on me this morning that I should ask all the blog readers to give some input.
So I'm asking anyone who reads this to list your top three "must reads". I don't care whether it's sci-fi, mystery, drama, biography... whatever. I love a good series (sorry, I've already read Twilight) but really any good book will do. I'm looking forward to hearing all your suggestions!
~ Joni

24 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

I tend to have that effect on women...bore them to the point of reading books...its a status I've worked really hard to attain. Speaking of working hard, I am commenting while at work, but its my lunch break and I am the only one here today.

Since I don't have much experience in this field, I'm going with Oprah. Here are a couple she told me about:
-The Story of Edward Sawtell
-Cry, the Beloved Country
-East of Eden
-House of Sand and Fog
-Cane River

There's 5, does this mean I get more guilt-free time on the wii?

Natalie said...

Hey Joni join goodreads.com. I have a bunch of friends on there that give me good ideas. I am like you I read probably five to six books a month! Where do I find the time? I Love to read!

Christina W. Cook said...

House of Sand and Fog Paul? Have you read it? Well, I have...kinda depressing, but however Oprah leans toward that type I think!! :) My favorite book of all time is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte...If you like classic books at all you might like it. She is my moral hero. Watchers by Dean Koontz is a favorite of that genre...Dear John by Nicholas Sparks if you want something up his alley..I once gave Andrea a Meg Cabot book called "The Boy Next Door." because it's all in emails and it was pretty cute, easy and fast to read..It MIGHT be the girl next door I forget. Well, darn, I could talk books all day and think about it all day too..Oh, I really enjoyed Daughter of Fortune but I forget the author, it's a good one though! okay, okay, I will stop....

Christina W. Cook said...

OH heavens how could I forget "Miracle in the Andes" by Parrado and Stolen Lives by Malika Oufkir..Two very riveting true life stories...Disclaimer, Miracle in the Andes tells of cannabilism so if that turns you away don't do it, but it's amazing and inspiring...somebody please shut me up...

Maude said...

Can't wait to see the list! I'm always looking for good book recommendations.

I love many of the "classics," like all the C. S. Lewis (Narnia) and Jane Austen (especially "Pride and Prejudice") But I'm going to give you three recent reads I've really enjoyed:

"These is my Words," by Nancy E. Turner. This is fiction, but written like a diary of an Arizona women in the late 1800's. Sounds boring, but it really good.

"The Friday Night Knitting Club," by Kate Jacobs. A really neat book about female relationships. I was touched by it.

The Elm Creek Quilt Books, by Deb Chiaverini. Of course, I love the quilting aspects of all these books - - -woven into really great stories, but they're very entertaining. Start with the first, "The Quilter's Apprentice." One of my other favorites in this series is "The Runaway Quilt" - - Civil War connections.

I also read a LOT of non-fiction. "1776," "John Adams," "The Johnstown Flood," and "Truman," are all exceptional and all by David McCullough. The first two might be fun to read while you're in the New England area.

- - -No, Paul! You're not boring! Joni just has TIME to read now. The same thing happened in my life.

Love you. Happy reading!

Mom

Maude said...

P. S. Jim can give you the top 200 reads on WWII - - -just give him a call if you want the list! :)

Moore Family said...

To be honest, I only read books when I'm away on business, but here are two really good ones, both by David McCullough. I read 1776 a few months ago and just started John Adams, which HBO made into a mini-series.

Because of where you live, I'd start with 1776. It goes over key battles in Boston, New York and New Jersey. Being there, you'll probably appreciate it more. McCullough has a way of bringing history to life that is remarkable. A large portion of 1776 goes over key decisions George Washington made and you really get to appreciate him as a person and patriot.

Glen

Kendi said...

Joni, I'll second the book "These is my words." Good book!
I like more non fiction books and don't read a ton. I really should do it more often but it has to be a really good book for me to get into it. In fact I started These is My Words like 4 times (the beginning is a bit slow to me) before I actually got all the way through it.
Enjoy all your free time while you have it!

Paul and Joni said...

Sweet. Thanks everyone! I will jot those down and get going on them. Feel free to keep adding more if you think of them :)

Joni

Rachelle said...

If you are in the mood for fantasy here is a series that I really loved, "Dragon Riders of Pern" Its a great series about dragons and humans co existing, I loved it and its not TOO fantasy, just the dragons. There are lots of books in the series but I recommend starting with:
Dragon Flight
Dragon Quest
The White Dragon

I also loved the Dragon riders trilogy that kind of follows the time line of the first three but focuses on a different character Melody. They are shorter books and geared alittle more to a younger audience (i read them first and loved them) Those books are called
Dragon Song
Dragon Singer
Dragon Drums

Sean said...

Wow, you are asking me (since I am a blogger) what books to read. Wow. Where to start. I love fantasy, but I will comment in sections so you don't get fantasied out.(is fantasied even a word? probably not)

Ok, the classics:

1984-George Orwell - A must if you have not read it. By far the best classic ever written.

Candid-Voltaire - A great one if you want a funny story, and cool if you want to take it in the perspective of the political culture in which he lived.

Dead Man Walking-Helen Prejean - A great one if you want to think about life in general, and all the implications that go with living.

General:
Anything by C.S. Lewis. I loved narnia, but I especially love the the screwtape letters. Great book in a format you often do not come by.

Standing for Something-Gordon B. Hinckley - Awesome book about the principles that we should live our life on.

The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul-Douglas Adams - Same guy that wrote Hitchhikers guide, and he has such a creative writing style that I just love.

Fantasy:
Magic of Recluse Series-L.E. Modisett - A lighter fantasy (in the sense of the fantasy. It has magic, but no dragons, elves dwarves, and what not) This series focus on the development of the world as a whole, and not just a couple of characters. You do get attached to the characters, but you get more attached to the world he creates, with all it's complexities. You think you get where he is going, and then he throws a new twist on how you can view what is going on.

Sword of Truth series-Terry Goodkind - Typical good vs. Evil type fantasy, with many of the typical fantasy creations, but with a VERY complex main character that you love, and know exactly what is thinking by about the 4th book. I am in the middle of it now, and love it.

Hope that helps. Sorry I rambled on so long, but I love to read!!!

Paul and Joni said...

I think everyone just came out of the closet with respect to reading good books...or else I'm just not part of the club yet. I can't believe how many good books are out there.

I liked Standing for Something, I also liked the History of the Prophet Joseph Smith by his Mother. Here's a couple more "Paul" reads, Oprah is great but I haven't really read any of hers.

Warriors Don't Cry - Melba Patillo Beals, true story about a black girl being integrated into an all white school in the south.

Playing for Pizza - an obscure, non lawyer, John Grisham book.

How Starbucks Changed my Life - Another true story.

I used to love Rhould Dahl as a kid (BFG, James and the Giant Peach, Witches etc)as well as Narnia books.

Super Fudge - come on, we've all read it, had to put it.

Les Miserables - Yes it was a book, I read it before I saw the play which I also love.

Maude said...

"Les Miserables" is my favorite musical, and one of my favorite books, Joni! No matter how many I see it or read it, I always come back to it as my favorite. Looks like you have your very own "best books" club goin', right here on the blog! Thanks for doing this. I now have several "books to read" on my list. :)

Love you.

Mom

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

That's a lot of responses to your need. The past five months I've been reading such exciting things as the Weld County Policies and Procedures Manual, four volumes of Core Training for Caseworkers, and all day long reading diagnostic facts and impressions on case after case involving child neglect and abuse. My job is to approve of all referrals for psychiatric and substance abuse services for dozens of clients. Does that sound exciting? Reading can also abe a chore. I enjoyed John Adams, all of Grishams books, and several excellent church authors. I miss reading fiction, but can't stay awake in the evenings when I start reading. Susan has many many books she can recommend to you when she gets back from California.

Love, Mike

Anonymous said...

My favorites this year "Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger.
"Three Cups of Tea" Mortensen
"Time Enough for Drums" Ann Rinaldi
Ann Rinaldi is in YA section.
If you want a good trip through Scotland with Colm Machugh, the most feared yet sexiest warrior in the land, that your husband will be happy you are reading, try "Shadow Music" by Julie Garwood - (My excuse is my mother-in-law left it at our home.)

Anonymous said...

From Melecia

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Wow, that's a lot of books! I am currently reading "These is my Words" too. It's one of my friends all-time favs and I let my sister read it while we were together last week and she loved it too, so now it's my turn. It comes highly recommended.

Have fun!!

Love,
Susan

Andrea said...

Joni, I just started "Cannery Row" by John Steinbeck, and "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Kidd. We could have a cross-country book club...

Maude said...

If you like "These Is My Words," which I think you will, Agnes' story continues in "Sarah's Quilt" and "The Star Garden." I loved them all. I'm now reading "Jubilee Trail," which is by the same author (Nancy Turner) and another author. I'll let you know how I like it.

Love
Mom

Anonymous said...

One more "The Magic of Ordinary Days" - great book!
Melecia

Erin said...

i'm a little late so i hope you're still checking these. i just got "The house on mango street" -- i haven't read it yet but it comes with very high recommendations. my 2 favorite books are "1000 white women" and "the red tent."

and i'm on goodreads too...it's awesome.

good luck!

Erin said...

oh yeah, and i borrowed the friday night knitting club from Blythe and LOVED it!

Brittanie said...

Well - I know you posted this a long time ago but I LOVE to read - here are a few ideas:

Some of my favorite classics:
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (I think that's the right Bronte!)
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freidman
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Recent fiction:
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (this one was really fun - kind of a mystery)
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (loved this one!)
LIfe of Pi by Yann Martel - Really great - a little slower moving
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by LIsa See
Peace LIke a River by Leif Enger - love this book - it's a feel good one.
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - loved
These is my words by Nancy Turner - loved
The Kite runner by Khaled Housseni - loved

Fairy taleish books:
Spindles End by Robin Mckinley (I just finished this one and loved it)
Enchantment by Orson Scott Card - Loved it!

Series books:
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan - this is such a fun series - it kind of reminded me of Harry Potter - pretty easy reads but lots of fun.
The Baritmaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud - I love these - they had me laughing out loud!
The Lord of the Rings trilogy - I don't know if you've read these but they are great!

Do you like Historical Fiction? The Winds of War and War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk are some of my favorite books. They are World War 2 books. I also love the book Texas by James Michener.

Anyway - happy reading!! I wish we lived close so that I could just loan these to you. I liked each of these enough to buy them!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,