I remember years ago when the Broncos were doing so bad that a fan camped out on top of a Billboard in the middle of the winter on I-25 in Denver, and said he'd stay up there until they won a game again. The guy stayed up there for several weeks through more than a couple of snow storms. Supporters brought him food, a tent, a tv, clothes and the news stations even climbed up there to interview the guy.
Now that I think about it, that guy was an idiot. You have to give him credit for being committed, but it makes me wonder, why are we fans of teams that 99% of the time don't win the championships we want them to? What do we get out of this seemingly one-sided relationship?
I used to ask my friends in high school the same thing. They would have a huge crush on a girl, but never do anything about it. They were the ones that would always respect a girl, and never take advantage of her. They had thoughts of the perfect moment for their first kiss, but never kiss the girl...they were romantics.
Ever since I watched the movie Fever Pitch, I've come to realize that certain sports fans are romantics...it's all about the excitement, the anticipation, the hope, holding something or someone up on a pedastal, sticking with a team (or person) through the good times AND the bad. Not jumping to criticize when times are tough, sharing your excitement, being able to say "we" scored like I was on the football field with the team. For all the heartbreak we experience, the idea of coming out on top is one of the most exciting feelings we can have. That feeling is what makes a fan a true fan. You do a double take when you think you see someone wearing your team's shirt, you look for your team's name on TV and in the newspaper.
So, while the Broncos continue their struggles, I will patiently wait for better times to come. I will not be angry after the game is over, I will not wish to kill one player or coach that makes a mistake. Now onto the pictures of my first Bronco game at Mile High, they lost to the lowly Rams, it was freezing cold, but I was in my own personal Disneyland. I will not be the idiot that you'll see on top of a billboard, but I will respect the man who does so, because I understand him.This was before the game of course from our awesome seats, although the end of the game didn't have many more fans left than this.
Before the loss in Denver...
Losing in Houston...
...and losing in Dallas
Monday, November 29, 2010
Romantic Football (let me explain)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Good writing, Paul. I really enjoyed reading it. You're what I'd call a "loyal, philosophical fan," I guess- - - -a good way to be with recent Bronco teams. I think I'm more the "loyal Pollyanna" - - - -NEXT year, things will be better.
It's neat you've been to so many Bronco games - - -even though they were mostly losses. "We" did win in San Diego, when we went to that game, and nearly got run out of town. One out of four. Hmmm. NEXT year~~~~ :)
Enjoyed the photos, too.
Love you. Have a great week.
Maude
I get a kick out of sharing our passion for the Broncos. We live in a town of maniacs --- when we don't win enough it's time to fire the coach or the QB. Invesco Field is a breeding ground for craziness: Outright rage, psychosis, rejection, glee, hysteria. Whatever emotion it is it is in the extreme. I've enjoyed your analysis of sports and other topics of interest. Keep writing and stay loyal forever!
Love, Dad
Liked your blog Paul! I also like the pictures of you in front of each stadium! You rock!
Love,
Melecia
Sorry I took a blurry photo. Joni's camera makes me feel inadequate. It was way fun to go to the game, though I do wish I'd had more layers.
I love how you portrayed football as being a 'romantic' game, it makes total sense. As a fan of football, I never made that connection until just now, thanks to you!
Post a Comment