Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Crossed one thing off the list.



I'm starting to get VERY excited to meet my new little girl. We still can't quite settle on one name, but unlike last pregnancy (I had new name literally every month), we have had it narrowed down to 2 from the beginning. I think it's amazing how each child comes with their OWN personality. Just as each pregnancy seem to be a little different. I have noticed some big differences this time around:




Ellie's pregnancy - Serious aversion to chocolate! Hated the stuff

Number 2 - Can't get enough chocolate (unfortunately)



Ellie's - My feet HURT badly. Even early on at about 4 months

Number 2 - My feet feel great, but they are ALWAYS HOT. Like they feel like I've been in a sauna, hot. Nowhere else. Just my feet.



Ellie's - Horrible headaches

Number 2 - No headaches. Just serious brain problems. I can NEVER find the word I'm looking for. It's just... ummm... shoot.



Ellie's - People constantly asked "Are you having twins? ... Are you SURE?"

Number 2 - That still happens.



Ellie's - I lost count how many times I cried at commercials and other stupid stuff. like Paul not parking where I wanted him to at church. (Yes that happened)

Number 2
- I cry now and again, but then I seem to get stuck in uncontrollable laughing fits. Dumb & Dumber was on the other day and even though I've seen that movie 6,349 times, I heard the line "tic tac, sir?", and completely lost it. Paul said he doesn't think he has EVER heard me laugh so hard. It went on for a good 15 minutes. Finally I forced myself to think of something sad because I was genuinely worried I would puke if I laughed any more. Even as I typed this I have laugh tears rolling.


I'm gearing up to finish one last blog book before July 22 (one of many tasks I have on to-do list before the big day), and want to throw in a few more posts and pics before I get started on that project. If you have seen my Facebook page recently, you know a lot of what is to come, but I want to document it nevertheless :)

Last week my time and brain power were consumed by my most recent cake. The gal who asked me to make it mentioned she would love to have some type of edible rhinestones for headlights. I have yet to see that type of thing for purchase online or in stores, but I told her I might try to make my own "glass" headlights using melted down sugar. That thought opened up a pandora's box in my brain of ways I could make a glass windshield as well. I spent a lot of time and energy (a valuable commodity these days) researching possible ways to do this. Everything I came across was pretty vague, but I finally found a fantastic blog that explained every single step of sugar melting & reshaping in detail with pictures.
So I put on my big girl britches and bought a candy thermometer (those things have always intimidated me) and gave it a try.




I had no CLUE how to work a candy thermometer. As you can see, it's taped to the side of the bowl. Took me a good 5 minutes to find the CLIP staring at me on the side! Embarrassing. In the past when I've worked with sugar I could never get it to harden all the way. I also worried that it would caramelize and turn yellow or brown. Apparently, following directions helps out a lot. Common sense to most, but I hate following very specific directions.



My hand made (and for the most part, ill-comceived) candy molds.



LUCKILY, a few of the headlights and one windshield worked. They weren't even brown! Hip, hip HOORAY for following directions.




Here is the final product. There are always at least three moments during the making of every cake where I say out loud "I'm NEVER attempting a cake again, this is a disaster and totally irreparable". But somehow this cake turned out OK. It was hard to say goodbye, but this project had a bigger purpose than sitting in my fridge.











Also familiar to many of you is a National Geographic special this Sunday that I'm SO excited to see. My Dad isn't one to seek recognition for his successes, but he certainly deserves a pat on the back for this. For the past 5 years he has photographed and become very well acquainted with a herd of wild horses. I don't think even he could count how many times he has gotten up at 2am to get out and take pictures of these mustangs in the perfect light. He has names for almost all the horses and can tell you their history and position within the herd. He started putting his photos on a board, along with back-stories for many of the horses. I grabbed a few pics from my Dad's photoboard... it was pictures like these (along with his expertise) that got Nat Geo's attention.

A few months ago he guided NG producers for taping of a segment on wild mustangs for a special titled "Untamed America" which will air this Sunday! Go DAD!


I took a few of my favorite photos from his board.








http://www.pbase.com/muddyboots/way_out_west - Photo board

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/national-geographic-channel/specials-1/untamed-americas/ngc-misfit-mustang/ - Nat Geo link


Last but not least, I want to wish my sweetheart a HAPPY 8th ANNIVERSERY!! Yesterday marks our 2,920th day as a married couple. Love you Paul!!!

6 comments:

Jen said...

don't you always have serious brain problems? ;) jk, you know I love you. Do I feel a "Joni Cakes Co" opening soon? I'd love to do business with you. Also, I'm still laughing about the taping of the candy thermometer. So hilarious. Hope we can see your dad's show! I think we get that channel.

Maude said...

Oh my goodness, Joni!! You've made some fantastic cakes, but the detail on this one is incredible! Holy cow, girl!!! How many hours did that take you - - -and how much per hour did you make?! You are making quite a reputation for yourself and could seriously open a cake business - - -although I can't imagine you taking that on, at least for a few months! :)
I also had to laugh about the candy thermometer.
I've spent quite a lot of time on your Dad's site, and love it. Can't wait for the NG show on Sunday.
Also can't wait for that new baby girl to arrive. Please keep us posted about your progress, okay?

Love you ALL lots - - -and Happy Anniversary!
x0x0x0x
Maude

Jenny Moore said...

Joni your cakes are amazing!!! How do you do it all?!! No, really?!!
Congrats on your anniversary!

Maude said...

Sorry - - -I have to keep coming back to examine the cake. Truly a masterpiece!!
Love you.
Maude

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

You post including the laughing spell brought back a memory of when you and Paul and Joel visited us in New York. We were sitting at our table and couldn't stop laughing. I have always enjoyed your perky personality and remarkable talents. Your life has never lacked passion. I'm so glad you and Paul got married and love each other so much. Thanks for sharing the candy discovery and for sharing the differences between pregnancy #1 and #2. That was a fun read.

Love, Mike

Anonymous said...

Just slow down will ya? I don't know how you can keep up....you're awsome and that cake is the best. When are you going to move by me so that I can hire you (when not pregnant) to make my kids bday cakes? I'll babysit in exchange?
Kendi