I can't believe how time has flown the last couple of months, I am off tomorrow to Hartford, Connecticut for a couple of days to attend "Forum" with General Electric as my second round of interviews. I have been thinking about this thing since the beginning of September, and I am getting to the constant stomach turning, poop every hour stage...okay that was a little gross but when I get nervous that's what happens. I know I just need to relax and be myself but let's be real and realize that everyone gets nervous. This is a crazy time of year with end of semester projects and presentations coming up, and I have a lot on my mind. I have had to schedule time just to have time to research the company. I will get into Hartford around midnight tomorrow, then starting at 2pm on Wednesday the fun begins. I am basically competing with about 60 other MBA's and Masters students across the country for about 35-40 internship spots.
I have been told that the process lasts 24 hours. I will have three hours to meet with executives from all of the GE industries including NBC, aviation, energy, infrastructure, finance, transportation, and healthcare to name a few. After that I am supposed to pick my top three, this is huge because I will interview with those three the next morning. Then after interviews I get rushed back to the airport while all the executives get together and make their choices. I would be lying if I told you I am not intimidated. A fellow student gave me some good advice, she said that when you get there and meet some of the other candidates you'll be thinking "why the hell am I here?". She said you'll have to rely on your personality to get you by...I'm screwed. So off I go with my little degree from Utah State University, and 1/2 a semester of HR under my belt, to compete with some of the best in the country...I think I have to poop again.
I guess what I want to do more than anything is leave everything I've got on the table before I come home, so I can leave with no regrets. If I don't make it I'll find something else; I may even be cliche and say that it wasn't meant to be. But for now I can only hope that they see what I have to offer, and if they don't want it, I still have a beautiful wife to come home to who loves to inflict pain by popping my zits.


12 comments:
You're so funny, Paul. And way to see the humor in the situation and to put it all in perspective - - -or at least try. I strongly disagree with you on one part, however. You ARE capable, and you have great experience AND a great personality! And you'll have the Lord on your side and all our prayers. I liked what Pres. Eyring said about three things to give you assurance when something is overwhelming. (P. 55 in the new Ensign - - -did you get it this month?) We're cheering you on all the way, Paul, are very proud of you - - and love you very much! Go for it! :)
You will do great Paul. I love you.
Joni :)
Here's something else to be nervous about: You poop every hour and will be meeting with executives for 3 hours. . .I'll let you do the math.
Ditto to everything that Mom said, being yourself is definitely the way to go.
By the way: they paid for your trip out there, THEY want YOU.
Paul, open with the poop story...ya know...to break the ice! :-)
You're going to knock 'em dead! Good luck!
Paul: Like Robert Redford in "The Natural," you are one of those. You have a very infectuous way about you that is irresistable. I say leave the poop story out and enjoy meeting all those people. Just imagine what they look like without any suits on, or clothes for that matter. They're just people too who are needing interns who will make a contribution to their company. You will certainly fit that bill and do very well. We are very proud of you. Hold your head high and remember that you are a Priesthood holder who is entitled to inspiration. Take one step at a time.
I went to a Mitt Romney caucus preparation meeting last Saturday and I was so impressed by his family backing. I don't see other Presidential candidates who have family members out there pitching for their Dad. Josh Romney is a lot like you. How can you not like him? Like you it's obvious he cares about people, wants to make a difference, and isn't afraid to do the work necessary to reach his goal.
No doubt you are most fortunate because of your darling zit picking loving wife. You have it all, baby.
Love, Dad
I read that wrong the first time and thought you said you were going for 1 internship spot against 60 others. I thought 'Holy Crap!', that's a tall order. When I reread that line and saw 60 competing for 35-40 spots, I thought 'What is he worried about? He can nail that.'
You'll do great. Just being genuine seems to impress the heck out of people.
Best of luck.
Paul - you really will be just as qualified as any other candidate there. You're going to a top business school and you've got good work experience. It might be a little intimidating to be with the Ivy League candidates, but they're trained no better than you are.
I took a communication seminar last month. Research shows that 90% of a person's perception of you is based not on the words you say, but on how to say it and on your non-verbal communication. If you're friendly, genuine and let the real Paul come through, you're going to get the internship. Be interested and enthusiastic, be prepared to ask good questions and make sure they know what's in it for them (what you bring to the table).
Thanks for all the support and advice, gives me a lot to think about on the way there. Man, you guys make me feel like I'm the best candidate out there...families can be pretty cool for that reason among many I guess. I'm off like a turd of hurdles. I'm getting off the plane in Connecticut with my A&M t shirt and sandles, porbably get some funny looks.
I think I'm a little late, but I wanted to wish you good luck! You will do so great. Like everyone else has said, you are a great guy and everyone loves you and your fun personality! Knock 'em dead!
Susan
I think you are definately corporate material bud. As a matter of fact, I think you are too GOOD for G.E. I can feel your digestive tracts doing their back and front flips. Good luck - we're proud of you.
Love,
Melecia
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工,
酒店寒假打工,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工,
酒店經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
Post a Comment