Monday, June 16, 2008

Week 5:

That sounds like I'm celebrating being sober or something. I think after a little over a month of being "on my own" I'm starting to think there is a lot about my situation that is good that I am trying to take advantage of. The biggest thing is that I have time to do things I normally wouldn't make the time to do. I have been really steady on the working out front, I've actually lost a couple pounds (my pants are actually looser) and I'm running more than ever. There is a gym at my work, and I have become addicted to working out during lunch and then showering there. It is the best feeling ever to do that in the middle of a work day, and the best solution for me to get it done. The first couple of weeks here I spent a lot of time moping around and watching TV, and that really didn't help me to feel better. I have been eating really well (for me anyways), and doing everything I can to feel good about myself.

I live right next to a Barnes and Noble and so the other day while it was pouring rain I went over there and listened to music. I ended up buying a BB King and and Oscar Peterson CD and listened to them in my truck while it was pouring outside. I bought a cheap set of golf clubs on ebay and when they get here I am going to go to the driving range and try to teach myself how to golf. I'm playing the guitar again, I'm going to bed early, and reading about random stuff on the internet like I used to do as a kid looking through the World Book Encyclopedias we had at home. I guess the reason I'm mentioning all this is because habit is a powerful thing. You don't have to always do spectacular things in life to be happy, but whatever you choose to do, make sure that it makes you feel good. The best way to kick a bad habit is to fill its time slot with a good one.

Habits give your life direction, but only good habits lead you in the right direction. I have found that I enjoy being busy more than I enjoy being lazy and I guess thats a good thing. I've always beat myself up mentally when I waste my time being lazy and forming bad habits, but for the first time I'm realizing that it doesn't help to beat yourself up...just move on and do something different. Since doing that I have been laughing out loud a lot more, and my outlook has been more positive. The other night I was watching Mr. Bean and I was laughing so hard I was choking...and yes, I was by myself. So can there be some good in every situation? I definately think so.

So now that I feel like Doogie Howser, I'm going to go shave my head and watch the Bachelorette. And I don't even care what anyone thinks because that's what I want to do.

11 comments:

Maude said...

Sounds like you're adjusting VERY well, Paul. The points you made about making choices about how to spend time are right on, I think. GOOD habits are good things, for sure, and it sounds like you've made some fun stuff in each day and seizing the opportunities that are there for you.

It's funny that I have a "routine" for Washington and a "routine" for here in Idaho - - -like you're talking about. There are similarities,and I enjoy both places, but my Idaho routine is much more geared toward the outdoors. Location and the people around us do affect our routines, for sure.

Laughing out loud and singing are great whether you're alone or with someone, don't you think?

Love you,
Mom

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

I really enjoyed our talk Sunday. The happy/busy daily routine really works. What would we do without workouts, music, laughter, love of family, reading, good memories, sports, and having a challenge in our work. It's a wonderful thing to be able to make positive choices especially in doing the simple things of life.

Love from Dad

Maude said...

Oh - -P. S. We also watch the Bacherorette. She has to dump Graham, however. He's "hot" in the scruffy way young women seem to like - - -but he was major "commitmentophobia." He'd be "sayonara" in no time.

Who's your favorite?

Andrea said...

I totally agree with your mom on Graham. If DeAnna's smart she'll choose Jeremy. I'm glad others agree. :-)

Andrea said...

By the way, totally jealous that you have a gym at work. That's AWESOME! That really helps in keeping on track. Also, I laughed so hard a couple posts back when you talked about the guy who pulls out the bail of hay to eat his lunch on...that's classic!

Paul and Joni said...

My guys from the very start...not lying...are Jason and Jesse, they both had me at hello. I didn't think Jesse would get as far as he did at all. Next week I think either Graham or Jeremy is going home as crazy as it sounds. I think she is crazy about Graham but won't pick him because of the commitment issue, and I think she likes Jeremy but there is no real connection...especially when she will meet his fam.

Haha, this is such girl talk, but thats my take on it. If anyone chooses to make fun of me I'll break you with my newly found biceps.

Andrea said...

Come on...Jesse didn't step up and kiss her last night!! He is safe and sound in the Friend Zone. Jeremy is way hot and I think the producers are skewing the previews to make us think his family is mean next week. I say the final 2 will be Jason and Jeremy. They were my picks from day #1. I even sent a text to Joni that night calling it. :-)

Maude said...

Remember that one episode? Jeremy's parents have both passed away, so the family experience with him will be way different. Maybe Jason's son will win her over!

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Great blog, great thoughts! I agree totally about feeling better being busy than being lazy and how important it is to plan the things you want and need to do into your daily routine.

Funny comments about the Bachelorette! I wish I watched it so I would know what you are all talking about!!

Love,
Susan

Tyler and Jaimee said...

I am so glad you guys are fellow bachelorette lovers! I cant WAIT for Tuesday morning when I get to watch it online at work. It really makes my day. I love how all the episodes have been so long lately as well (not much to do at my job haha).
I am very surprised by the comments though I have seen about everyones favorites.
Graham kicked off?!! I hope not. Man he is GOOD lookin. But at the same time I do worry about him but Jesse should DEFINITELY go home before Jeremy and Graham. I hope Jason wins because he has all the good qualities combined into one.

So how about that gross sweaty Robert? He was SO wierd. As well as Twilly.

Anyway- I wish we lived close so we could have a big party for the finale. I am excited to tell Tyler you actually like that show because he always makes fun of me :)

Jaimee

Anonymous said...

I'm hooked on the Bachelorette too. My money is on Jessie - I think they've started out as friends, but he's going to show her his romantic side and blow her away. She seems to want to "wear the pants" and he is very nurturing & stuff - to take the place of her mom. I think I've thought way too much about this! I think Jeremy is too arrogant and angry, and Jason would be awesome too, but he's too "straight" - not crazy and fun enough.
I like your blog Paul - you sound like your filling your life with good things that will make you happy! I am trying to do the same thing here. I'm proud of you!
Love,
Melecia