Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week 38 update

It's so weird to be spending our weekends trying to do last minute preparations for when the baby comes. We've been buying a package of diapers every week for the past couple of months because I hear you need tons and they are pretty expensive. We've been worried that we still don't have everything we need but I assume that's normal. There are so many things you don't think about that you need, and a lot of stuff we are just waiting to buy until later.

Being a typical guy, I was thinking that we could buy almost everything used, but I found out that I was way off. Just a word of warning to you soon-to-be new fathers out there, nothing will prepare you for the amounts of "stuff" you have to buy for that tiny little thing, and most of it should be purchased new. There I said it, consider yourself warned. We did find a used Medela breast pump, which sounds gross but if you think about it you are just paying for the motor and you can buy spare inserts and parts for the rest at Target.

TIME OUT!!! What is happening here? I'm talking about the benefits of buying a used breast pump?!? What is happening to me?

Joni has been seeing a different doctor every week at the hospital. Thats just how they do it here, the team of doctors "rotate" because its likely that we won't have our original Doc for the birth anyways. The baby has dropped halfway down to be positioned at a "zero". 5 means ready for birth, minus 5 means not ready at all, so she's moving right along. I still don't know what to think about being a dad so soon. People do it all the time so it can't be that hard right? It's tough to imagine not being able to do much during the delivery except to be supportive. Thats all everyone says, "be supportive" and "don't take anything she says to you personally while in labor".

I'm kind of hoping for a little more time, but I know Joni is counting down the days until the baby comes. I guess thats how Joni and I have been with everything though.
We will be sending out an email to you all soon because we want to send a prize to whoever is closest to guessing the correct weight, height, and birthday of our little girl. So if we don't have your updated email, let us know and we'll include you in the sweepstakes. We're not talking about a big prize, just more of a "you are cool" type of prize. Happy Sunday!

9 comments:

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

You are both going to be such great parents! You look about as ready as you can be--nursery wise and I don't blame Joni a bit for wanting the little gal to come a little sooner than her due date!!

The nursery is adorable--I love that hanging "mobile" thingy and the pictures are great!

Can't wait for the big announcement! Hmmm, weight, length, and date of birth??? I'll have to think about that one!!

Love to all three of you!!
xo,
Susan

Andrea said...

Love the mobile! Love the pictures on the walls! Love the horse! Love it all!

I need some vital information for my guess, though. What were each of your birth weights, heights, and were you early or late???

Maude said...

You're funny, Paul - - -and have a great way of expressing the feelings/thoughts of "every man."

Joni, the nursery is way cute. It's kinda' fun to do all this stuff, isn't it!?

When does the contest begin? Getting all 3 of those will be tough!

Love you!

Mom

Jen said...

"THIS is the thing i love. tap tap." oh my goodness come back to ct. i need you.

Anonymous said...

Very cute nursery, and the waiting and the preparing looks like it's really ramping up! It's good that you got new good stuff instead of the used that is sometimes unsafe. It will be fun to see what you use most, and what you hardly need at all!
I guessed you would have the baby on Sunday because that happened almost all the time to us. I must have just relaxed physically, knew Rhett would be home, and my body was ready! Actually it was labor beginning on Thurs or Fri - Baby born Sunday - I was always "high and tight". Doesn't sound like Joni is, though! Isn't it fun when big sisters bring out the labor stories?
Love the nursery too!
Melecia

Moore Family said...

The nursury is great. Looks like Joni's nesting instict is full gear. I remember when we had our first that Kendi had to get the baby room just right and we had a big stack of diapers, clothes ready to go.

Glen

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

You got really great stuff for the baby. We're really excited for the big day or arrival. We pray a lot for you guys; lots of gratitude. I'll guess the baby will be 7 lbs. 2 oz. Do I get a prize?

Love Dad

Kendi said...

Oh so fun. I remember all of that first time planning stuff. Somedays I wish I could go back and do it again for the first time. It's so new and exciting. Enjoy it! I know everyone tells you that and I use to get sick of hearing it but honestly it's so true.
Have fun the next couple weeks getting all together.

We miss you all!

Kimi said...

We are so excited for your little girl to come. It has been nice to have you guys ahead of us because you experience it and then you give us advice, keep it coming we need all the help we can get. We miss you-Kimi and Jake