Joni has yet again come up with a creative costume idea for me, and now that I think about it, I'm starting to notice a theme...at my expense. Now that I think about it, aren't all Dad's given this role at some time in their lives, and can never go back?
There comes a time where you realize you just have to go with it, and understand your place in the world of loving wives and Halloween costumes. A time when you no longer look good in cut off sleeves or tight clothing, and when you no longer look tough despite how much tiolet paper you stuff in your clothing.
I remember the last time I chose my own Halloween costume, I was Zorro. It doesn't get much manlier than that. Nevermind that I was wearing a pair of Joni's black tights under my boots, I looked good...so good I couldn't stop smiling the whole night, which made the mascara I used to darken my moustache get on my nose. Fast forward and it's only gone downhill from there.
A sack of jelly beans...DJ Lance Rock from Yo Gabba Gabba (I was made fun of by a teenager with a coconut bra and grass skirt)...and now...a GIANT BANANA. It wouldn't be so bad if Ellie wasn't a little monkey and Joni wasn't Jane Goodall. Is it a joke at my expense? Am I just a good sport? Or am I a loving husband and father who knows his place, and picks his battles? Until I figure that one out, I am a banana.
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
I know my place
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
That is so funny. That picture has me laughing. Great costume.....and I think she may have just picked the theme for your costume alone!
ADMIT IT JONI!
P.S. you should come trick or treating to us?!
Kendi
Thanks Paul for the great laugh!
At least your family gets into the spirit of dressing up...I think the last time we all did was when Emmy was 3 and Steve was the wolf dressed up like grandma!!!
You're a great dad and husband!!!
At last I get to see the infamous banana!! And I'll have to admit a giggle or two.
You are indeed a thoughtful dad and husband, as well as an extremely good sport. You obviously have your priorities right (evidenced not just from the banana, but many neat things you do for/with your family) and are pretty secure about who you are!
'Sides, you always did have fun with crazy costumes. You pull it off! You're d' man! :) Joni's motives? Hmmmm. I have to go with "creative."
Love you all.
Maude/Gram
P. S. How do you get that thing on????
You definately take the role as the family clown and masochist! Your banana costume is wildly crazy! We really enjoy laughing at you....not with you. Please take a picture with your coconut bra buddy and others so I can distribute it to me clients. They have wondered if my craziness rubs off onto my children. This is proof perfect.
Love, Dad
If you wear that in Virginia you might get arrested. A kid in a banana costume ran across the football field at Colonial Forge HS here and was arrested and suspended the rest of the year. Lots of kids wore "free Mr. Banana" shirts and costumes and were suspended. Then the principal resigned because she had violated freedom of speech laws... it made national news. I'll send you the link, just so you know. In Nevada though I think you'll just be the cool banana dad. I think Zorro is manly. Tell Joni to raise your testosterone level next Halloween, like having you be Thor, Captain America, or the Green Lantern.
http://dcist.com/2011/09/pat_collins_just_keeps_upping_the_a.php
Here is the news link to the "banana man" saga. It's funny!
Melecia
Husbands and dads do eventually become a willing accessory to whatever random, crazy idea the women think up. Just think, you could have 5 girls in your house making you do weird things. You had better start hoping that future children come in the male gender. And if not, you have 2 dudes to commiserate with. Ryan and Devin, I am sure, can give you some great counsel in that department. In the mean time...what a great sport you are!!!
Post a Comment