Monday, February 6, 2012

Bust a Move.

So last week I taught some 8th & 9th graders a few "hip hop zumba" classes. Their PE teacher is always looking for new & fun ways to keep the girls active. She came to the regular Zumba class at the gym to ask the instructor to come teach, but there was a substitute that night... so she asked ME?! Straight away I confessed I'm NO professional at Latin moves, but I was comfortable doing something "hip-hop"-ish. She thought her girls would love that...

So here we are busting some moves :)








The girls were such fun to teach! They were super positive, smiley, and energetic. I forgot how fun it is to be 14. We were dancing on the opposite half of the gym as the boys (there was a curtain divider). At one point I looked out at the girls and about half suddenly stopped dancing, and most were giggling uncontrollably. I turned around to see a group of boys had gathered at the edge of the curtain and were yelling "wooooot" "yeah" and doing their best impression of the moves. All fun and games until the boys' teacher yelled "get back over here, NOW!!". With a look of fear they disappeared in 5 seconds or less.
These are the little things that I forgot about being a teenager.

We had a blast, and if I'm not too swollen too soon I would love to go back!

I tried to enclose a link, but I'm thinking it didn't work? ... But the girls wanted to see their dancing so I posted 2 videos on youtube - feel free to check them out by searching "hip hop zumba CVMS" on the site.

In other news, we finally got Ellie sleeping in a toddler bed! It was easier than I expected once we found out she likes sleeping with all her stuffed friends.
I had a recurrence of "sickness" this week, but I'll live (I think) :)

16 weeks and counting! The wait is on. Happy Monday!

6 comments:

Maude said...

"Woot!" is right! Joni's bustin' some moves there, for sure! What a fun opportunity, and it looks like they loved having you there. Nothing like middle school kids, right? Love them. Good work, Joni. You totally had their attention and had them moving.
Are you going back again?

Love you all lots.
Maude

Maude said...

P. S. 16 weeks doesn't seem long at all - - - -to me. :)

Andrea said...

Those girls were so lucky to have you! When I went to my first Zumba class I knew that you would be the ultimate Zumba teacher! :-)

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Way to go Joni! I was thinking that your cheer leading days were back. Jumba is catchy and you're a good one to lead out. That was funny how the boys were dealt with.

Keep it up as long as you can.

Love, Mike

Anonymous said...

I'm telling you - being a fitness instructor is one of your many talents! I'm glad zumba was invented, and hip hop too! Great job.
love,
melecia

Unknown said...

It's very beautiful blog, I'm happy to visit your blog faux painting samples
regards