This is one of those posts that I don't even know if I'll decide to post it or not, but I just feel like writing...so if you are reading this now I guess I decided to post it. I think I just really don't want to study, sometimes it is so hard to sit down and do what needs to be done, especially if whatever you need to do doesn't need to be done for a while but you are just trying to get ahead. Today has been one of those days that I really appreciate what I have. When Joni got home today I was paying complete attention to her and asking her about her day and I really just wanted to listen to her and hug her even though she didn't want to be hugged, let alone talk. She asked if I was okay because usually I say hi and then pay attention to the tv when she wants to talk. Now Joni is off running and I am just counting down the minutes until she gets back. She'll probably laugh at this if she reads it because our lives get so hectic at times that I'll miss her while she is gone, but then when she gets home I'll be doing other things.
I guess the older you get, you either get closer to the true meaning of life, or you get further away from it. A lot of times I find myself worrying about the next step, and how big of a company I can work for etc, etc. But then I'll relax and listen to a really good song, or talk to a stranger, and suddenly doing homework doesn't seem to matter as much anymore. I think old people in nursing homes probably understand this more than anyone else, and parents whose kids have grown older and moved out (sorry to relate parents to old people in nursing homes). Why do we spend so much time on things that don't really matter? Why not take a sick day every once in a while, and do something we enjoy? I bet if I learned a new song on the guitar for every minute I watched ESPN I would be pretty good.
Some things I really enjoyed doing this week:
-teaching 13 year olds about sacrifice and how to use an index to find topics in the scriptures
-driving to Houston for no reason other than to hang out with family in a new place
-lifting weights, running a mile, beating a bunch of young punks in a bball game, and ping pong all in one day. Then getting home with a sore back and blistered feet and taking a shower.
-talking with lots of family members on the phone and in person
-laughing at Joni and her "isms"
-forcing Joni to swallow a Gas-X to get rid of her gas (it worked with the help of 2 other people)
-Introducing Colby to some of my favorite music that he has never heard of
-drinking egg nog
-flaming pumpkins
Making a list of things you do or intend to do is a good way to gauge what you value as being important in your life, maybe I'll have to do it more often to keep myself on track. Until then, back to my homework...booooorrrring.

For as much as we brought around the camera with us, we hardly took any pictures this weekend, maybe that's a sign you are having a good time cause you forget about the pics sometimes.
7 comments:
I like this blog, and hearing about all the fun things you did this week that were meaningful. That's funny about how you gave Joni your 100% attention and she was not ready for a hug. I've been there! It sounds like you understand the meaning of life already. Good luck with the homework!
Love,
Melecia
Good blog, Paul. You have great insights into life. I used to keep a Gratitude Journal in which I wrote everyday 5 things (at least) I was grateful for. It really helps you keep focused on what's important and what makes you happy. I was just reading Pres. Eyring's most recent conference talk, Pg. 66 in the Ensign, and it's about how we need to remember the blessings we have that come from the hand of the Lord and pass those remembrances down to our posterity. Your blogs will be fun for your kids to read someday. You should definitely print them and keep them in a notebook!!
Love ya,
Susan
I like the blog, too, Paul. Introspective and real. I did your exercise of thinking of things you've especially liked about your week. That's a good thing to do, isn't it? Amazing how much of my list boils down to relationships with loved ones, especially family.
Your blog combined with Kendi's blog gives us lots to think about - - seizing the moments and fully appreciating and being grateful for those moments is so important. It's not always easy to do. I gained a bit of wisdom from Boise State's quarterback, of all places, last night. In an interview he said, "I've been on the bench 4 years waiting for this opportunity, and now I have it, I want to hold onto and savor every moment - -but I'm busier than ever and have so much to do. . ." Isn't that so often the case? There IS more to life than increasing it's speed.
Thanks, Paul!
I don't want to give anyone the impression that I have life all figured out, but sometimes you can tell if you are going in the right direction or not by making a list of the things that matter most along with a list of what you actually do, and then compare them. Most of the time I am the one denying hugs. Thats a good idea with the gratitude journal. And mom, only you would be inspired by the words of a Boise State quarterback.
Lots of emphasis of our thoughts lately has been about gratitude. I like to walk for about an hour in the early morning 3-4 times per week and meditate. It feels good to recap the previous day how many things either went well or are lessons to be learned. Then organizing a new day ahead, with or without lists, helps the time go by more happily. Life is very full. Today I was so happy to be living in a place that has so much sunshine, and to have many things to do of my own choosing. Thanks, Paul, for your thoughts. Hugs from Dad.
Ha! Ha! I was suddenly forced to remember Joni's gas when you commented about Gas-x! Man, I miss that girl!
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工,
酒店寒假打工,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工,
酒店經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
Post a Comment