Thursday, October 1, 2009

Buyer beware at the gas pump...


Several of you have asked about the identity theft thing, and although we haven't heard much as far as the outcome is concerned yet, I figured I'd warn you about something I heard on the news last night.


Rewind a little bit. On my birthday Joni was at KFC feeding one of her cravings when her card declined. After a call to the bank we found out that someone "swiped" our card in NYC at Wal-Mart at about the same time and purchased $185 worth of stuff. Once they realized that it worked, they tried to buy another $175 worth of stuff 2 minutes later but the card was already frozen. The scary thing is that we never lost a card, and we found out that they used our PIN number. Turns out this "person" made their own duplicate card with our number and knew our PIN number just like someone would make a duplicate check or fake ID.


We have always been very careful to discard important documents in the shredder, and watch our backs at the ATM and gas stations. What I heard on the news disturbed me and I thought you should know about it.


Turns out 2 guys were arrested in Raleigh for stealing several identities from gas station pumps. They have sophisticated devices that police have never seen before to take card and PIN numbers from the pumps. You would never even know they were there. They take the card numbers and make fake bank cards, then use your PIN number at an ATM to get cash...or in our case Wal-Mart. The only thing that you can do is check your account often for any suspicious charges or hope your bank freezes the card like ours did. I try to pay for gas inside now instead of at the pump, because you really don't know when one has been "skimmed" as they call it.


I don't mean to scare anyone or cause you to spend all your spare time looking at your bank account balance. This can happen to anyone, and it is a horrible feeling when it happens. Kind of reminded me of the time someone tried to steal our car in Dallas, but since it wouldn't start, they bashed out all the windows, took the radio and tore off the dashboard. We are totally fine now, the bank should reimburse us, and we are paying a monthly fee for a little while to have our bank monitor our credit history.


On a lighter note, Joni found out she has carpel tunnel in her hands from playing Wii for an hour. Wierdest thing ever...

7 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

Clarification: My carpel tunnel is not FROM the Wii (I'm not that big of a gamer), it's pregnancy related and was aggrivated from playing the Wii... and cooking, sewing, texting, typing, etc. I was worried about my arms going numb everynight and pain in my hands that feels like pins and needles, so I asked my doctor about it today. He says it will go away after I'm done growing and birthing this child. Pregnancy is so weird!

JONI

Kendi said...

I think the carpel tunnel thing is totally common. I had it pretty bad with Bess too. It's crazy what your body goes through for these little ones!
Things are going to start happening soon, are you getting nervous? excited?

Thanks for the heads up on CC stuff. We'll definitely have to pay more attention to details!

Maude said...

Welcome to the weird last month of pregnancy, Joni. It IS indeed weird, but exciting - -and tiring - - -and wonderful - -and SLOW! You'll make it, and we can't wait for the new little girl.

Thanks for the info on the credit card thing, Paul. It's amazing what technology gives us - - -and can also take away. We'll all be more careful, I'm sure.

Love you.
Mom

Jen said...

who knew that there are wal-marts in NYC? ps carpal tunnel is the worst! Have you felt it for a long time? I had it in my wrist in HS and tennis elbow (similar pain) in college. sooooo not cool.

Andrea said...

Only 4 weeks until little Bimberly Lloydine comes into the world...oh, Paul, that's the name idea I found for you and Joni. You need to check out Utah Baby Namer, so hilarious!

Andrea Cutler said...

Same thing happened to me with my last pregnancy...BEWARE of Rock Band as well!!!!! :) And, I am happy to report Joni that it does go away after a week or so once the baby comes! Meanwhile, I totally feel your pain! I am hoping it doesn't happen with this baby. BTW, loved the name suggestion...Ben Taylor keeps suggesting "Benjimina" for our newest little girl coming. We would gladly hand it off to you if you are in need of a name!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,