Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Dog Training

Today I started the real hands on training at my work. My new superviosr got her masters degree in conversation conflict management...I didn't even know there was such a thing. You might as well call it dog training with people...degree. She is the type of person that talks to you like you are three years old, and if you look away from her for a second she says, "look at me...now repeat what I just said". I am beginning to understand the cliche about men being slaves to big women. When I do something right I find that I look at her to throw me a bone or something...it's really weird...kind of out of my element. How is it that every job is the most important job in the world? ...I'll explain. I got this job thinking it would be low stress and easy, but it is actually worse than my management job at Lowe's. How hard is it to scan cards and answer a phone? That's what I thought, but then everyone makes a huge deal if I answer the phone a different way or forget to say the person's name when I check them in. All the people want to do is come work out, but all the employees started freaking out when the District Manager came for a visit. I seriously can't call a person out loud who is ten feet away, I have to page them. As a manager at Lowes I find myself getting upset at relatively stupid things as well...its weird. I will never shop the same again now that I have been in the retail business. It is amazing what some people expect and how upset people can get about the dumbest things. Don't get me wrong, sometimes there is reason to get mad, but having to smile and listen to people vent is really frustrating. Maybe I should be like my dad and just fall asleep. I couldn't imagine the frustration of hearing people tell you about their problems ALL day long. Dad, how do you do it?
That reminds me of a HUGE pet peeve of mine...I absolutley hate it when girls call me "honey" or "sweetie". That goes back to the Big woman thing, having control over little men. Women have to know how degrading it is, or maybe I am the only one who doesn't like it. I remember a few years back we were going to Hannah's baptism in Colorado and my car broke down in Wyoming. We drove all the way back to Provo and then when we got back and told my dad we weren't going to make it he started talking to me like a baby' "oh little pauwy broke his widdle twuck?" I was mad, I don't think my dad realizes how mad I was at that moment. I have since gotten over it but the baby talk thing stuck with me. So call me bitter when I get treated like a little booger at work, but that's the way it is. We get free passes to work out, so it is pretty cool though. Just remember the next time you get mad at some poor little college kid at the supermarket because you can't find the tampons and he doesn't know what a tampon is, remember that he is a normal peron too just trying to make some cash.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I need to rethink the fact that I call Steve hon or sweetie.
Sorry I try never to be rude to someone who is working retail unless they are rude to me first!!!

Paul and Joni said...

You and Steve are baby talk royalty, so you needn't worry. Getting mad can DEFINATELY be justified at times, I know that too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your frustrations, especially with me. I don't like being talked down to either. Baby talking has been a bad habit; it often distorts the real feeling. I also don't like contrived jargon about "look at me when I talk to you" or "repeat what I said." That's stuff from the 60's that still won't go away. Sorry I made you mad; I'm repenting. I love you Paul. Dad.

Anonymous said...

I remember the Land Rover thing, I was pretty annoyed at being stuck and just wanted to call it off; but it was one of those things where I didn't even want to open my mouth because you were so mad, and (it being your car) with good reason.

Being talked down to is the worst, it was one of the hardest things to deal with for me in Antarctica with certain people. I just wanted to bust out and say "I know! Just leave me alone and let me do my thing." People go on some serious power trips and usually you just have to set back and take it, which sucks.

I've been loving the family comedy death match, I've been laughing my head off and think it's cool we can all dish it out and get it dished right back.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you think it's funny Joel, becaue I'M GETTING REALLY PISSED OFF!

I understand what you mean Paul. I work with a couple of alpha males that make mountains out of mole hills. There's one guy in particular that has "small man's disease." We can him the bulldog - he's 5'3", but he's always intimidating people and getting upset over stupid things to show his dominance. I've been sworn at many times, but I try not get intimidated by guys like that. Sometimes you have to smack the bully back in the mouth.

One thing's for certain - you get more out of life when you treat people with respect. When I look at these guys for who they really are, they're not secure in themselves and they're unhappy because they choose to look at whats wrong.

Anonymous said...

lol

Anonymous said...

Yep - -those are just those "alpha" people who are either very sure of themselves - -or somewhat insecure - -and have to "dog-talk" to others. I had a teaching partner once who was that way and who had little "canned" responses- - and she was half my age. I finally said, in a happy way, "Look, you little twit, we think differently and have different styles! It doesn't make you right, or me. We're just different!" After that, we shared amd were much better partners. I was grateful she listened. The "relaxing" job sounds like a bit TENSE; keep seeing the humor! :)

Anonymous said...

Sit Pablo!!!! GooOOOooood BooOOooy!!!! Now go sit in Jub's igloo and mind your P's and Q's!!!

Glen's Office sounds amazingly similar to something I remember from Seinfeld. Maybe it's just me.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to watch it but forgot as I was carrying a toilet into the basement and hoping I didn't fall. Wouldn't it suck to be found dead at the bottom of the stairs holding a toilet? Not exactly the dramatic movie scene death you picture, huh?

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,