Friday, September 1, 2006

Freddy Mike

I just thought of a funny story about my dad that I had to write down before I forgot. I am supposed to be doing dishes right now to surprise Joni with a clean house when she gets home but I couldn't resist a blog...sorry Joni. Glen got me thinking when he was talking about Freddy Mike being a lead foot when he drives. I don't know if I ever told anyone about this one but for those of you who know my dad, just picture his reaction to the whole thing. It was near the end of the summer when I was still in high school, and I was headed over to Colorado for a visit. Dad picked me up in his sporty little Taurus SHO at the airport and just as soon as I was in the car we were flying 90 miles per hour down the highway in order to get to the house for an emergency nap or something...I don't know. Dad was losing his patience as usual and I was feeling a bit nervous as the cars we were passing were like dark colored blurs...I felt kinda like I was in the movie Tron. We came up on two unsuspecting cars driving side by side but we weren't slowing down and there wasn't much room to get between them...that's when it happened. Freddy Mike started hollering, "I can't stop. I can't stop!" We proceeded to drive between the two cars (on a two lane road)...I must add their expressions were pretty good too as they were trying to figure out what we were doing, then I looked down at his feet and he was pushing in the clutch with all of his might as the brake peddle sat there unbothered thinking to itself, "I am right here Mikey dear". He finally figured out what was going on when he took off his cool sunglasses to look down at his feet. No one was harmed but it made for a pretty funny converasation the rest of the way home. He just kept repeating, "For crud sakes, I just don't know how that happened". Its the moments like that summer day that make me thankful to have a family and parents that aren't by any means "normal". Dysfunctional families are the best! Which reminds me, dad if you are reading this I expect this and many more of your children's truthful accounts to get published in your genealogy book that you are writing. We need to have a record of where all of this abnormality came from. That doesn't mean you are excluded either mom "crazy socks" berger.

12 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

sorry to post the same thing twice, my fingers got a little carried away

Anonymous said...

That is freakin hilarious, I think I just peed in my pants a little.

Moore Family said...

Funny stuff! I second the motion for Dad to include more eccentric moments in his Geneology. Really, who's going to stay awake for more than a page or two of so and so married so and so and was baptized on this date. I'd be happy to volunteer some information for Dad to put in his book.

Glen

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm - - - -interesting how I never hear these stories until YEARS later. But before you get over-eager to share "Crazy Family" stories (What in heck is wrong with a drawer full of festive socks??) the crazy mom will remind you of a certain Friday night trip to Sun Valley for skiing - - -and a tired Mom went to sleep in the back seat, TRUSTING her wonderful boys to drive the BMW - - -and the trusting Mom later learned that the BMW could go over 95, because it had been done that night! :)
Sounds like the speed gene might have been passed along. Need any more "crazy family" stories????? I have several. . . . . .

Anonymous said...

P. S. - - -Erin, are you prepared for this? :)

Anonymous said...

I'll bet that was the only time the car has broken 95 . . . .e-hem? Mom?

Anonymous said...

Bad Joel - - -down Joel - - -call off the dogs! :) Hmmmm, yes, I believe you took in over 95 one other time, didn't you???

Anonymous said...

This is your last chance to add stories to my personal history. I dare you to reveal the truth.
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? I finally feel like I'm surrounded by people crazier than me! When's the next reunion?

Anonymous said...

Lets see....bees and black socks, B-E-est, the funny connection between nudity and a wet flor and Cozumel Mexico and ceiling fans, the many dangers of front porches, tv's and toes, Iccccceeee CreEEEeeam! etc. etc. etc. I think if we are going to go with the funny parental moments, we might be into volumes rather than a geneology book.

Better told in person. We'll get into that later.

Anonymous said...

Why thank you, Steve, for your mighty self-control! That's maybe a first, eh? They say, "Disgression is the better part of valor!" I'll write more when I find my flag socks - - for Labor Day you know! :)

Anonymous said...

Is there a clause somewhere in our marriage vows that says "if family you marry into becomes really strange you get a weeks vacation?" Just let me know if anyone finds that!
Mom I think your crazy socks are great...in fact I have a few pairs that I wear and love...oh ya...you gave them to me!!!!
You guys make me laugh...Erin jokes aside this is one of the best families in the world!