I was thinking the other day about life as a twenty seven year old and I got to thinking, it is a lot different than I thought it would be when I was a kid. I am not saying I am not happy with my life, because I am, it is just funny to try and remember a child's perspective on life. First of all, super belly button power doesn't really work...I used to swear by it as a kid. For those of you who don't know what that is, it was something we used to do (sticking a finger in your belly button then "shocking" the body into warp speed mode) to clean the house up in the fastest manner possible so that when the tv commercial break was over, you could get back to the show. Well, I tried it the other day and I ended up just sitting there the whole time...it's just not the same anymore...maybe when we have kids it will work again. Where did the fifteen million boxes of legos we had end up? I still get urges to play legos, and tear off all of my church clothes in the car on the way home so that I can be the first one "ready" and changed to play. It is harder to do that while driving now but I still try. I still remember wanting to own a cleaning business as a kid...how weird was I? What, did I really picture myself driving a ferrari around with all my 27 year old make believe friends after cleaning the house with all of the other maids? Who knows, it is still a possibility. Something crazy happened a few years ago when my dad was offered a cleaning business from a client, when he told me about it I got scared because my childhood dream could have come true, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go there. Then I was a window washer for a couple of years...maybe I am destined for greatness in the cleaning business after all. Give me a few more years and I could be the new spokesperson for Mr. Clean (the bald guy with his ear pierced). So I guess some things are what I thought they would be too...I bet money that my dad still laughs like a donkey at the roadrunner and coyote show.
I still feel like I am destined to do something great, maybe everyone feels that way. Whether it is being on the Price is Right, getting a record in Guiness Book, making millions from an invention or business, not picking my nose anymore, or just being happy at home with family. Something I WILL do that I wanted to do as a kid is end up living near family. This whole Texas experience is fun, but I can't wait to end up somewhere near everyone. Let's all plan a place to end up because if you are reading this, I probably like you.
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Tweny Seven
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I'm glad you want to be close to family again. I felt that way very strongly while we lived in NY. Now everyone is so involved with their own families, as a parent I feel a bit displaced. How wonderful it would be to have the time come again when we are closer to each other. You have a special way about you, Paul, that will cause others to feel endeared to you no matter where you live. We're excited for your career plans to come to pass, and are so pleased with the wonderful fun times you and Joni are able to have together in spite of schooling demands. Love you, Dad
Belly button power DOES work. It is a state of mind. I've used it with my kids and it is like magic.
I too have missed the legos. Especially with the abundance of Barbis and stuffed things in the house. I still race with the kids upon getting home from Church. I am pretty fast but I think dresses have a definant advantage in the speed category over a tie, belt, pants, button shirt etc. No fair.
I like Boise enough to retire here. We'll see how it goes.
Your writing is so great, Paul - -and you already are great!!! You will also get all the present "stuff" behind you and continue to be successful at whatever you do - - -and you'll find, as a parent, that belly-button power magic always works - -It just goes on sabbatical occasionally! Kids help you find it again - - -I notice you always find it when you're around the nieces and nephews!
I wish everyone could live closer, also, but our modern world makes that difficult, doesn't it? I always try to say "kinda'" central to all of you. :) I love the blogs 'cause they help us maintain some of that closeness, in spite of the distance. Hang tough. You're liked, and you're loved - - -and you're only as old as you allow yourself to be inside!
P. S. The Legos were awesome, weren't they? You boys made the most creative and amazing things with them. One of the best toys known to man! I was looking at some in Wally-World the other day, and they had none that were just "Legos" - - -they were all knights or Star Wars, etc. I'll race any of you in the getting out of Church clothes race - - and I think girls DO have a bit of an advantage. Hey, we'll take it!
Belly Button power still rules - - -especially when accompanied by jivy music!
Legos are cool. I'm not sure if Carter will get into them, but I guess we'll see when he's older... too complicated for him now. Legos are EXPENSIVE. It's like $50 for a little tiny space ship or something and the more complicated ones can be $200. Maybe I should have invested in Legos. Anyone got any blue twosies?
My life is definitely different than how I imagined, but I don't have too many regrets. Hopefully I'll have the drive to accomplish a couple of goals before I'm done. Neither one is to become rich by the way. I really believe that if you set your eyes on something and really want it, it'll become a reality.
Post a Comment